Footy today V Footy 20 yrs ago

I was watching the team of yester year on Weds and how they were having a real good laugh/joke with each other like they had never been apart.

Even big Joe commented on it on how it looked liked nothing had changed that it was good to see them falling back into that routine again. There was always a good atmosphere then, jokes played on each other,excellent banter. I even watch old latics re-run in u-tube where Ricky Holden was explaining the reason for his new hair cut was - Milley and the rest had shaved his hair as he fell asleep. This team went out on meals together, drinking together (cough cough) and some are still friends now, some decide to make Oldham/surrounding areas their homes when they retired, such was their feelings for our town.

And I thought what's changed?...Could technology have had altered team builiding? To be honesty players don't seem to have that kind of relationship anymore. I was talking to a member of staff in the shop and she said the same. On coach trips they all stick their head phones on and don't seem to interact/chat with each other. One current player has been here for two years and is so shy she hasn't heard him speak more that two words. I even remember when Leeds came and their team got off the bus - half of them were tucking their headphones away.

Yester year they got the cards out on the coach, they had to interact, they had to bond. They got to know each other so well they knew where the other was onthe pitch to some extent.

Maybe we should look at getting the team to bond more next season. Especially if the budget is tight that there is not going to be many movers/shakers or more match day coach trips than overnight stays.

Maybe we should try old school methods, or just more team building stuff just to get morale up there for next season.

I was watching the team of yester year on Weds and how they were having a real good laugh/joke with each other like they had never been apart.

Even big Joe commented on it on how it looked liked nothing had changed that it was good to see them falling back into that routine again. There was always a good atmosphere then, jokes played on each other,excellent banter. I even watch old latics re-run in u-tube where Ricky Holden was explaining the reason for his new hair cut was - Milley and the rest had shaved his hair as he fell asleep. This team went out on meals together, drinking together (cough cough) and some are still friends now, some decide to make Oldham/surrounding areas their homes when they retired, such was their feelings for our town.

And I thought what's changed?...Could technology have had altered team builiding? To be honesty players don't seem to have that kind of relationship anymore. I was talking to a member of staff in the shop and she said the same. On coach trips they all stick their head phones on and don't seem to interact/chat with each other. One current player has been here for two years and is so shy she hasn't heard him speak more that two words. I even remember when Leeds came and their team got off the bus - half of them were tucking their headphones away.

Yester year they got the cards out on the coach, they had to interact, they had to bond. They got to know each other so well they knew where the other was onthe pitch to some extent.

Maybe we should look at getting the team to bond more next season. Especially if the budget is tight that there is not going to be many movers/shakers or more match day coach trips than overnight stays.

Maybe we should try old school methods, or just more team building stuff just to get morale up there for next season.

Can't be true- we don''t have any players that have been here more than 2 years

Edited by Dave_Og

From my conversations with him the other night i'd say Kieran Lee?

From my conversations with him the other night i'd say Kieran Lee?

Nail on the head Paul, Lois had to do a re-shuffle when she realised that there was just Kieran Lee on your table, also what was interesting to hear was that there are no real big characters in the team other than Greegs, but, is also seen as the father figure (obviously), even Ryan said on Wednesday that Greegs reminded him of his Dad, only Greegs swore more. :grin:

Nail on the head Paul, Lois had to do a re-shuffle when she realised that there was just Kieran Lee on your table, also what was interesting to hear was that there are no real big characters in the team other than Greegs, but, is also seen as the father figure (obviously), even Ryan said on Wednesday that Greegs reminded him of his Dad, only Greegs swore more. :grin:

So who were the big talkers on 'the team*'?

Rhodes - Probably

Barlow - No

Irwin - No

Warhurst - No

Barrett - Maybe

Holden - only jokes

Adams - Unlikely

Milligan - Yes

Henry - No

Ritchie - Maybe, but up front it doesn't matter

Palmer - No (see Lee)

I'd suspect that this is where Redfearn and Marshall came in very handy though. The point remains that you don't have to talk to be a good player. There just needs to be one doing so.

*The best picked by me.

Edited by OldhamSheridan