Ooooohh Roger Palmer

Highlight of what has been a very poor season!!

If the club had announced it beforehand, i'm sure they would have raised enough on the gate to cover his appearance fee!!

Living legend, brought the house down.

Totally agree, something at last to bring a smile to my face at the Latics, great to see him

Highlight of what has been a very poor season!!

If the club had announced it beforehand, i'm sure they would have raised enough on the gate to cover his appearance fee!!

Living legend, brought the house down.

Exactly what I said at the game. Could have made of few quid off that......

Top bloke. Legend.

Can you imagine any of the current squad getting that kind of reaction 15 years after retirement? Nah, me neither....

By a country mile...the highlight of the season! Worth the admission money alone ( well nothing else was )

I bet that fan isn't gonna wash that hand for ages...lol

It almost caused a crush on the concourse when they announced he was on the pitch, the beer/food queues emptied and rushed to the top of the terraces was unreal. I had flashbacks of the old terraces when there was a crow surge. Little bit scary.

the reason they didnt tell anyone was because he has said he would come loads of time but hasnt !! im just saying attendences ion general tbh

dont believe everything a 7 year old tells you :D and for attendances wat do you expect with the dribble people have come to watch i wouldnt have gone today if i didnt have a free ticket :)

Highlight of the season and reminded me just as to why I started supporting this club in the first place.

he didnt seem to have changed one bit...looks like he still do a better job the the lads we have now

he didnt seem to have changed one bit...looks like he still do a better job the the lads we have now

+1

I agree, the word legend does not say enough about Roger Palmer, million times better than the crap we have now. :imnotworthy:

Seeing that picture of him brought back wonderful memories, he is one of the reason why I started supporting this club.

I wasn't in the town in those days.

Oldham Athletic didn't mean anything to me then.

But the reception Joe Royle got last season and Roger Palmer got yesterday really do show exactly what football is all about.

Step forward the next set of heroes and legends. Please.

Latics legend and club-record goalscorer Roger Palmer made a surprise return to Boundary Park for yesterday's final home match against Charlton.

Palmer, who found the net 156 times for Latics, was given an incredible reception when he went on to the pitch to make the half-time draw.

Fans from all three stands sounded the chant of 'ooh Roger Palmer, ooh Roger Palmer' as he received the biggest cheer of the afternoon.

And never has there been so many winners of the Strike It Lucky draw as fans wanted to get on to the pitch to meet their hero, the player who was at Boundary Park from 1980/94.

Outside the main entrance after the game a large group of fans gathered for autographs and to have their photos taken with Palmer who is a reclusive figure as this was only the second time he had returned in the 16 years since he left the club.

Latics webmaster Tony Bugby had tracked down Palmer to his home in Sale but was unable to persuade him to return for the recent reunion to mark the twentieth anniversary of Latics reaching the final of the Littlewoods Cup in 1990.

Palmer indicated, however, he would possibly attend the Charlton game as long as it was unannounced, and he only confirmed on Friday night that he would be returning.

Latics Chief Executive Alan Hardy was delighted to see Palmer back at Boundary Park adding that the former player also hinted he might be prepared to make an appearance on the pitch in tomorrow's staff v fans match.

Edited by RoyleArmy

Latics legend and club-record goalscorer Roger Palmer made a surprise return to Boundary Park for yesterday's final home match against Charlton.

Palmer, who found the net 156 times for Latics, was given an incredible reception when he went on to the pitch to make the half-time draw.

Fans from all three stands sounded the chant of 'ooh Roger Palmer, ooh Roger Palmer' as he received the biggest cheer of the afternoon.

And never has there been so many winners of the Strike It Lucky draw as fans wanted to get on to the pitch to meet their hero, the player who was at Boundary Park from 1980/94.

Outside the main entrance after the game a large group of fans gathered for autographs and to have their photos taken with Palmer who is a reclusive figure as this was only the second time he had returned in the 16 years since he left the club.

Latics webmaster Tony Bugby had tracked down Palmer to his home in Sale but was unable to persuade him to return for the recent reunion to mark the twentieth anniversary of Latics reaching the final of the Littlewoods Cup in 1990.

Palmer indicated, however, he would possibly attend the Charlton game as long as it was unannounced, and he only confirmed on Friday night that he would be returning.

Latics Chief Executive Alan Hardy was delighted to see Palmer back at Boundary Park adding that the former player also hinted he might be prepared to make an appearance on the pitch in tomorrow's staff v fans match.

Absolute legend - made the day for me and well worth the 400 mile round trip to see the great man :blush:

Highlight of the last 5 seasons to be honest.

I think we need to look to a player who will stay with us, someone to love the club and someone who the fans love. Gregan is the nearest thing we have to a legend these days.

Not likely to get any legends if we keep loaning players

see link if you missed the appearance

Edited by adrianpshaw