Odds for Next Manager

I have to say, I'm preferring a Frankie Bunn option, perhaps with Ritchie as #2 or helping out. Bunn's 10 years working at Citeh and Coventry will have boosted his little black book, it'll appease the knobheads who remain firmly entrenched in 1991 and unable to comprehend that times have changed, and even with no direct managerial experience he still looks a much more appealing choice than anyone on that list.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The list from the bookies is pretty uninspiring all told and whilst he’s the bookies favourite; I don’t want Gannon – I’ve said why on other threads; and whilst I can see the club having to appointment from within (my money is on a Dux / Gregan combo to that end) I would at least prefer someone who has been in & around management; if not an actual manager per say (i.e coach / assistant manager etc).

As you’ve just said in the bold part; getting the best out of what we have at the club already; developing the youngsters and picking up the odd free transfer / season long loan – from what I can see; Frankie Bunn ticks all those boxes. His work in City’s youth team cannot be overlooked (SWP / Steven Ireland / Nedum Onunha / Michael Johnson / Ishmael Millar / Kelvin Etuhu / Matthew Mills / Ched Evans etc) and his time at both City and Coventry will have exposed him to all manner of contacts; whilst his reserve team work will have let him see fringe players who may be overlooked by the majority but who could be picked up on frees etc. He has the club at heart and due to being a player from the golden era; he has a place in most fans hearts; thus affording him the luxury of time & patience.

Ideal world, I would be very pleased if we went with a Gary Speed, Nicky Butt esq appointment – someone looking to make their first forays into management – young, hungry, good contacts yada-yada. They would need guidance at certain times; but if we keep hold of Tony P and Dux in the backroom; then they will have that.

I can’t see that happening unfortunately.

As per my first line; Im fearful that it will be an internal appointment; based purely on the financial; not footballing standpoint.

One thing though; I will give whoever it is my backing – I renewed my ST on Saturday (and was going to with DP too) – and whoever it is; they really are going to need it!!!

Only thing I would say to that is why bother wasting the time advertising the position and interviewing candidates, only to make an internal appointment. I think if finances were going to dictate an internal appointment then we would have appointed a successor to Penney immediately

Only thing I would say to that is why bother wasting the time advertising the position and interviewing candidates, only to make an internal appointment. I think if finances were going to dictate an internal appointment then we would have appointed a successor to Penney immediately

Companies do this all the time. Wouldnt surprise me if latics did the same. Just imagine say Ince applys comes in and goes ill work for a shoestring and have loads of premier league quality kids waitng to join me at latics, the club would be mad not to have at least spoken with him. Now i know thats not going to happen but the club has to ask around and see if anyone meets the criteria the board of directors have.

As it is it will be gray and we have to hope for the best.

Next Athletic manager odds (from Victor Chandler): Jim Gannon 5-2; Paul Simpson 9-2; Martin Gray 6-1; Frank Bunn 7-1; Sean Gregan 8-1; Lee Duxbury 9-1; Paul Ince 9-1; Andy Ritchie 9-1; Nicky Butt 10-1; Alan Knill 10-1; Denis Irwin 14-1; Paul Scholes 14-1; Neil Thompson 16-1; Dean Holdsworth 16-1; John Coleman 16-1; Iain Dowie 18-1; Gary Speed 20-1; Sammy McIlroy 20-1; Peter Taylor 25-1; Lee Richardson 25-1; Dean Windass 25-1; Keith Hill 28-1; Lee Sinnott 33-1.

that list is like a Who's That? of football management :unsure:

I have to say, I'm preferring a Frankie Bunn option, perhaps with Ritchie as #2 or helping out. Bunn's 10 years working at Citeh and Coventry will have boosted his little black book, it'll appease the knobheads who remain firmly entrenched in 1991 and unable to comprehend that times have changed, and even with no direct managerial experience he still looks a much more appealing choice than anyone on that list.

I'm preferring a Frankie Bunn option, with Ritchie as far away from the setup as possible.

Keep out of our club, you bald Leeds/Munich/Barnsley b*****d, keep out of our Club....

Dean Holdsworth is an interesting one ,he has just had a record busting season as manager of Newport County.

Has contacts in the north west from his time as a Bolton player.

Could he do a job for us?

I think this job would be too much too soon for him. See if he can hack it in conference/league 2 before being considered for a job at this level

before my time, so out of interest how did JR come into being latics boss? did he retire early at 33 and jump straight into it with us? did his appointment get lambasted due to hm having a lack of experience? (admittedly no internet in them days but talk amongst fans in general in the lead up to his arrival?)

before my time, so out of interest how did JR come into being latics boss? did he retire early at 33 and jump straight into it with us? did his appointment get lambasted due to hm having a lack of experience? (admittedly no internet in them days but talk amongst fans in general in the lead up to his arrival?)

Exactly that.

And he was given about 7 years to learn too...

I think this job would be too much too soon for him. See if he can hack it in conference/league 2 before being considered for a job at this level

Good advice, remember Martin O'Neill's early career.