Danny Whittaker

Whittaker v Wellens

There you go BB80, never gets old this one pmsl. :lol:

Ha

Thank Goodness I didn’t post on that thread – I didn’t vote in the poll either as I thought it was a no brainer in Wellens’ favour - but to read people arguing in favour of DW as the better player is; well, Laughable.

Interesting post half way through on Gary Mac too. Players & their relative abilities really do divide opinions don’t they? I really rated Gary Mac but someone described him as ‘gash’ and others agreed. It’s all opinions; but I’d have Macca back here in a flash (and he’s out of contract this summer too!!)

Ha

Thank Goodness I didn’t post on that thread – I didn’t vote in the poll either as I thought it was a no brainer in Wellens’ favour - but to read people arguing in favour of DW as the better player is; well, Laughable.

Interesting post half way through on Gary Mac too. Players & their relative abilities really do divide opinions don’t they? I really rated Gary Mac but someone described him as ‘gash’ and others agreed. It’s all opinions; but I’d have Macca back here in a flash (and he’s out of contract this summer too!!)

couple of ex member on that thread, wonder if they quit after seeing the error of their ways :lol:

Whittaker v Wellens

There you go BB80, never gets old this one pmsl. :lol:

Just shows eh? spoke to a guy in pub watchin Wellens on sky and him saying what a brilliant player he was, The same bloke who used to call him a lazy B***** :blink: ..............................................Fickle us fans very very fickle.

Danny will probably go on and play superb for Shez. Last season he never had a run in the side (another masterstroke by Penney) and dare I say it when he did play he was our best midfielder by a country mile. Well until Stephens got a few games under his belt.

Good luck to him anyway. :wink:

Ha

It is now but DW had an excellent start when he joined the club and it was easy to compare the two. Obviously he didnt maintain that level of performance and we all now know that Wellens is better.

At the begining of this season, Liverpool had decent odds for winning the league which now looks laughable considering where they finished.

It is now but DW had an excellent start when he joined the club and it was easy to compare the two. Obviously he didnt maintain that level of performance and we all now know that Wellens is better.

At the begining of this season, Liverpool had decent odds for winning the league which now looks laughable considering where they finished.

Was it really?

It was patently obvious (well to me it was) from the start that whilst they both can write ‘Midfielder’ on their footballers CV; they were 2 very different ones at that.

Not just from a physical standpoint; but from abilities & attributes. Danny Whit is not, was not nor will ever be a midfield lynch-pin type player. One to dominate a game; to be the fulcrum where everything goes through them, one to be able to break up play as well as start attacks or pick the killer ball. Richie Wellens was all that (and more).

Danny Whits is an alright lower league player; you’ll find a Whitts type player at most clubs at our level. On a good day; 1 in every 20 games they can look to be a cracker. But he wasn’t / isn’t even remotely comparable to a standout midfielder player like Wellens; even during his ‘purple patch’ at the start of his Latics career.

To also make comparisons after ½ a season / 10 to 15 games is nonsensical too. Only after a considered amount of time & judgement can you look to compare players.

So, yeah – it is laughable to look back over the old thread and see people excitedly proclaiming that Whitts was the better player – having seen him play for less than ½ a season. A stand by my previous post.

Edited by slystallone

Thanks for your replies.

From what I gather, it's not the most inspiring signing ever, but I can hope that he'll fit in.

We've also signed Dwayne Mattis who seems to be more of a combative type and maybe someone who would compliment Whitaker. Whitaker will be competiting with Allott for the same position and Mattis will with Niven, so I will doubt we'll see MA and DW together much.

We can't do with anymore bottlers though, we wimped out of last season far too easily.

Good luck.

We can't do with anymore bottlers though, we wimped out of last season far too easily.

Seems to be a common trait of Sheridan's sides, unfortunately. The potential for him to be a very good manager is there, but there are some very clear weaknesses that he needs to address.

Thanks for your replies.

From what I gather, it's not the most inspiring signing ever, but I can hope that he'll fit in.

We've also signed Dwayne Mattis who seems to be more of a combative type and maybe someone who would compliment Whitaker. Whitaker will be competiting with Allott for the same position and Mattis will with Niven, so I will doubt we'll see MA and DW together much.

Good luck.

Whitaker will do a job for you, with a good range of passing and a great strike from the edge of the box. What stops him going higher is that his first touch sometimes lets him down in tight spots (crucial for a midfield playmaker who is usually cheek to jowel with the opposition) and he is not a tackler. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't keep him though, because I think he could be a useful player for late in the game when the midfield is more fragmented and people are a bit more tired.

Seems to be a common trait of Sheridan's sides, unfortunately. The potential for him to be a very good manager is there, but there are some very clear weaknesses that he needs to address.

Agreed. I'm actually one of his supporters whereas most of the fanbase turned sour on him near the end of the season after some awful performances where we blew a chance of automatic promotion to missing out on the play-offs. I do worry that he simply doesn't care about the personalilites of players though; he simply thinks that if they're half decent, they'll cut it. But too many of our players haven't got the desire, motivation, hunger to do well for the club and have concequently - and rightly - left. Him and Tommy Wright ain't afraid to castrate them either, are they?

What's the situation with Crossley as far as you know? I don't know what impact it would have on us if he went but I can't imagine you'd be jumping for joy.

Agreed. I'm actually one of his supporters whereas most of the fanbase turned sour on him near the end of the season after some awful performances where we blew a chance of automatic promotion to missing out on the play-offs. I do worry that he simply doesn't care about the personalilites of players though; he simply thinks that if they're half decent, they'll cut it. But too many of our players haven't got the desire, motivation, hunger to do well for the club and have concequently - and rightly - left. Him and Tommy Wright ain't afraid to castrate them either, are they?

What's the situation with Crossley as far as you know? I don't know what impact it would have on us if he went but I can't imagine you'd be jumping for joy.

mark crossley would take us up to the championship in his first season ,A blinking legend that man ..Can't wait :grin:

Can add a real attacking option to a midfield where the other side is poor in the middle of the park.

If the other side has a strong and combative midfield, he's a luxury you can ill afford.

The Allott / Whitaker partnership in the middle was a failing two seasons back.

A failing that got us to a better finish than the season just gone. I think it will be a good partnership for Chesterfield.

I find it highly comical whenever this is brought up. I was one of Mr Wellens' biggest defenders on here when the knives were constantly out for him - he would always sit deep and kick people if that was all he could do in the game, he played for us on one leg when needed, he had a vision for a pass that only Shez has matched in the last decade and a half. I still don't think that having one man running the show is a plausible way to get out of this division, maybe Wellens has adapted his game to not being the ringmaster but that's what he was with us, and all the wise after the event people must have failed to appreciate that we offered a far greater variety of threats at the time when the poll was created. Yes, we achieved nothing, a bit like we did with Wellens, and a bit like Blackpool did with Wellens.