Oldham's hard men...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I remember Alan Lawson wasn't a dirty player, but often used the legitimate block tackle to such an effect it sent a shudder down my spine as opponents crumbled.

IMO he was the hardest man by far ever to wear a Latics shirt.

Edited by BP1960

As I remember Alan Lawson wasn't a dirty player, but often used the legitimate block tackle to such an effect it sent a shudder down my spine as opponents crumbled.

During the mid 60's FA Cup tie with West Ham, Lawson dumped "Budgie" Byrne on his arse in the centre circle. Byrne, not amused looked at the ref for justice that wasn't forthcoming and gobbed off when it didn't go his way. As soon as the ref turned his back Lawson stamped on Byrne's hand. I thought that was pretty dirty myself.......It was also incredibly funny. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the memory Alan.

I met Jimmy Quinn on hols once when he was still playing.He told me that Ian Marshall was a right softarse,squealed like a girl when he had his toes stood on.Said Roger Palmer was the dirtiest player around,tackled around the kneecaps and was hated by Blackburns players after hurting one of their players with a "very naughty" challenge!! Get in Roger,i'm sure he deserved it!!!

I met Jimmy Quinn on hols once when he was still playing.He told me that Ian Marshall was a right softarse,squealed like a girl when he had his toes stood on.Said Roger Palmer was the dirtiest player around,tackled around the kneecaps and was hated by Blackburns players after hurting one of their players with a "very naughty" challenge!! Get in Roger,i'm sure he deserved it!!!

:applause1::lol:

I recall playing Man Utd IN either the Lancs Senior Cup . They always sent their Central League team for those matches. John Fitzpatrick thought he was

a rough house but he ran into Lawson ...it was like a cartoon. Lawson just stood there and did not move..Fitzpatrick ran into him and stopped dead with a thud and slid down the front of Lawson onto the ground...like running into a wall. He was a nice guy Lawson gave me and my cousin a lift to the ground once. But hard oh yes

During the mid 60's FA Cup tie with West Ham, Lawson dumped "Budgie" Byrne on his arse in the centre circle. Byrne, not amused looked at the ref for justice that wasn't forthcoming and gobbed off when it didn't go his way. As soon as the ref turned his back Lawson stamped on Byrne's hand. I thought that was pretty dirty myself.......It was also incredibly funny. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Thanks for the memory Alan.

I think the refs in those days days let the game flow a bit more, it would be interesting to see the number of yellow and red cards dished out in a 1960s season compared to now.