Oldham's hard men...

I realise a question like this has probably been posted before, but i was just wondering who do people consider latics hard men to be either past or present. The only reason i ask this is because i was watching the damned united tonight on dvd, and watching people like bremner and hunter got me thinking who our hard men were. The only one i can vaguely recall is ronnie blair.

Anybody any ideas...

Ps has anybody seen the damned united. What do you think of it

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realise a question like this has probably been posted before, but i was just wondering who do people consider latics hard men to be either past or present. The only reason i ask this is because i was watching the damned united tonight on dvd, and watching people like bremner and hunter got me thinking who our hard men were. The only one i can vaguely recall is ronnie blair.

Anybody any ideas...

Ps has anybody seen the damned united. What do you think of it

I enjoyed it and I thought it was a good portrayal of Ol' Big 'Ead

Latics hard men? Going back to the 50s, Lewis Brook and Ted 'Knocker' West took no prisoners. Anyone remember Sandy Wann in the 60s? He had a very simple philosophy as I recall; If it moves, kick it. If it doesn't move, kick it till it does. I think I've got the right bloke.

And a certain J Sheridan's likkle bruv was an absolute :angel::unsure: Mind you, JS could dish it out if he was in the mood. Remember him getting a red card at Plymuff and chasing their bloke down the tunnel. Quality.

Edited by Bristolatic

I wouldn't have crossed Baudet in a hurry. Well, I wouldn't have needed to be in a hurry, if you know what I mean.

Ahh, Julien Baudet.

I once saw him grab a main stand paddock moaner by the throat while shouting "I keeelll you, I keeelll you!!!".

Shut the fat tosser up for a full season, I kid you not!

Andy Holden for me, by the way.

Anyone who comes back from a serious knee injury and puts in a crunching, career-threatening tackle in his first game back needs a special mention.

mini shez

andy lochead

ronnie blair

..nicked from burnley mad..(he works there now in hospitality..very apt!)

"Patience wasn’t always a strong point though and he was sent off in a reserve game against Newcastle after being goaded by the experienced Bob Stokoe all afternoon, he was to learn from that as one Welsh international defender was to find out to his cost.

He was brave as well and nobody who saw it will ever forget the night he had his head stamped on by Napoli defender Panzanato in the Fairs Cup. No moaning from Andy, he just got on with it. That was of course after a quiet but very effective word with the Italian.

Everton defender Brian Labone once described him as his toughest ever opponent. Labone admitted that he used to give his opponent a good hard kick early in the game to sort him out. According to Labone some hid whilst others went moaning to the referee. Not Lochhead said Labone, he just came back and kicked you twice as hard and twice as often."