Oldham's hard men...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clint Hill, Greegs and I seem to remember John Eyre having a being a bit fiery streak.

The same John Eyre who got "rinsed" on Soccer AM when a Plymouth player stood on his foot (possibly the same incident with J. Shez). I'd mention Trotman for his Hughesy saving effort at the Den.

lol Robert

Dad says ex Evertonian Mike Barnard? so slow his tackle had to get the man. studs upOR Lockhead.

Lee Duxbury could put in a tackle when he wanted.

Mike Barnard if he could have moved a bit he would have been a great player for us tough as nails for a little guy. I saw Alan Lawson once grab a Peterborough number 9 by the shirt and nut him breaking his nose,ref never saw it lol.

I'll give you four players -all from the sixties and all from north of the border -three of whom have already had a mention

Sandy Wann, Alan Lawson and an old friend of mine George Sievewright ( George was brought down from Dundee to look after Bobby johnson -a job he took very seriously!!!!) the fourth candidate would be none other than Jimmy Frizzel who had no problem looking after himself and the rest of the team when req,d -of the four and I may be biased I'd pick out George -lovely bloke off the pitch -but def. one to be on your side on the pitch

not when he was with us as he was only young but i remember reading an interview with Kevin Phillips when he was at Sunderland and he said not many would mess with Chris Makin

obviously a year of snails toughened him up

Edited by palmer1

"There was a half back, a Scottish half back,

And Lawson was his name

And clogging was his game

He sent them far away

To the infirmary

He clogged Jim Fryatt

And Barry Stobart

He sent them far away"

To the tune A Scottish Soldier. Alan Lawson was truly hard (the reference to Fryatt was when the latter played for Stockport). The word legend is overused but for those who have seen him play he was a legend.

I can see that challenge on Stobart as if it were yesterday. Just in front of the main stand midway in the Chaddy end of the pitch. High ball and instead of heading the ball Lawson nutted the back of Stobart's head. The poor lad had a greyish hue as he was stretchered up the tunnel.

As someone else pointed out, George Sievewright wasn't exactly a girlie either. :grin:

RON FUTCHER

Indeed. Was anyone else at Ewood Park when the Blackburn centre half had a dig at Ron in their penalty area ? The lad ran full pelt upfield to the half way line unaware that Ron was following him. Until of course an uppercut decked him.

Andy Barlow before anyone asks why,

I've recently watched the Littlewoods cup game against Arsenal,there was a a bit of a shindig on the touchline between Rick Holden and Kevin Richardson, Andy Barlow steams in snarling at Richardson who decided to backaway( :censored:house).

True Oldhamer who knew what it mean't to us fans about passion.

Edited by yardie28

RON FUTCHER

Went down in my estimation when he spat in a players face,Big Joe wasnt right impressed either as he never played him again and swapped him for Ormonroyd!

Darren McD was a tough lad on the field but pushed it a bit far in Scandals one night with Mick Townhill, one of the local bouncers, Second prize that night although I remember him decking Brightons Mr Headband Steve Foster one game.

I believe the hardest players are the ones who could take the knocks as much as give it out,Mark Ward and Dennis Irwin spring to mind as do Yard dogs Milligan and Henry.

Didnt Alan Smart and Paul Murray - a couple of coppers once?

I think it was a case of one of them just being there when Allan Smart was being his usual self.

If memory serves me right they were in a cab when Smart starting getting abusive. The Cabbie parked up outside a Police Station. Which in terms of a Jock can only mean one thing: Time for fisticuffs.

Paul "bad tackle" Reid surely deserves a heads-up for his diabolical two-footed shenanigans whenever someone younger than him snaffled the ball. He was a right dirty little swine...

Clint Hill was as hard as the moon - he'd sort out all this cack with the striking BA cabin crew, politicans on the take and the budget deficit. No man could stand against him.

I remember Tipton's transformation into a lunatic, shaven-headed ruffian too. Strange, because he used to be a right fairy! Maybe he got on the steds before training and could no longer control his anger or flailing arms?

Indeed. Was anyone else at Ewood Park when the Blackburn centre half had a dig at Ron in their penalty area ? The lad ran full pelt upfield to the half way line unaware that Ron was following him. Until of course an uppercut decked him.

I think I was there. Isnt that the match where he got sent off and kicked the dressing room door in?

Went down in my estimation when he spat in a players face,Big Joe wasnt right impressed either as he never played him again and swapped him for Ormonroyd!

Darren McD was a tough lad on the field but pushed it a bit far in Scandals one night with Mick Townhill, one of the local bouncers, Second prize that night although I remember him decking Brightons Mr Headband Steve Foster one game.

I believe the hardest players are the ones who could take the knocks as much as give it out,Mark Ward and Dennis Irwin spring to mind as do Yard dogs Milligan and Henry.

Yes, Yes, yes just thinking about all these players. They all get my vote, even Ron Futcher as I'll never forget when he went for goal at the Chady end, ended up demolishing the advert board and shaking it off after a few minutes treatment.

Willie Donachie too - scared me more when he was on the touchline as a coach shouting at the players in that Scottish accent

There wernt many if any got the better of Mick, saw him in action a number of times not to be messed with back then along with Stubbsy.

Alan Lawson for me too. Watched a game once against city reserves, he went in against a kid striker near the touchline, clattered the lad so hard he went airborne, bounced off the shale and hit the advertising boards. I thought he was dead.

Another time I remember Ian Wood playing at Bradford Park Avenue, he was getting clipped from behind by an irksome little sh**, so he just turned round and decked him with a right to the solar plexus, right in front of the referee too. Stonewall sending off but the ref just waved play on. Guess he didn't like the little sh** either.

Edited by banana