Oldham's hard men...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Forgot about tipton lol.... does anybody remember when he scored that goal versus hednesford and decked their centre half in the process

Truly a turning point for "Physco" Tipton. He hadn't played for a few weeks, came on a sub with a shaven head, scored a goal, celebrated like a madman and tvvated a Hednesford player haha. It was roundabout the time of the "Belly's gonna get ya" advert on the TV, and I remember the "Tipton's gonna get ya" chants. Other hardman, Andy Holden before he got injured, Daz Shez and of course Gregan.

Softarse awards go to three Bs, Branston, Butcher and Boshell.

Truly a turning point for "Physco" Tipton. He hadn't played for a few weeks, came on a sub with a shaven head, scored a goal, celebrated like a madman and tvvated a Hednesford player haha. It was roundabout the time of the "Belly's gonna get ya" advert on the TV, and I remember the "Tipton's gonna get ya" chants. Other hardman, Andy Holden before he got injured, Daz Shez and of course Gregan.

I'd also like to also nominate the 'Dodger', the amount of goals he scored when diving in between the muck and bullets deserves a mention. Stitch could handle himself too. Clint Hill was no mug either! Oh and Shez snr just for chasing the Plymouth player down the tunnel! Oh and Shaun Garnett!

Latics Hardest XI

Gary Kelly

Hill

Gregan

Holden A

Dissa

Kelly

Henry

Milligan

Mini-Shez

Stitch

The Dodger

Soft-Arse XI (3-4-3)

Pogs (top keeper but a real mard-arse!)

Dean Holden

Branston (Looked hard but sulked like a girl whenver he dropped a frequent bollock)

Stuart Thom (Built like a brick :censored:-house but a proper tart!)

Boshell

Butcher

Whitaker

Chris Taylor (Capt)

Currie

Tipton (Shaven head and running round like a knob is no excuse for his :censored:-out v Notts County)

Andrews

Alan Lawson

Being tackled by Lawson must have felt like colliding with an rampaging elephant, but the hardest player IMO was George Sievewright (anyone remember him).

Clint Hill and Neil Pointon were no shrinking violets either.

As for goalkeepers, opponents used to bounce off Harry Dowd and get a knee in the ..... from Peter McDonnell if trying to stop him taking a cross. :)

Edited by BP1960

He already looked like he had been scraping on Yorkshire Street the night before with his black eye.

He weren't a hard man just more of a thug I think.

"There was a half back, a Scottish half back,

And Lawson was his name

And clogging was his game

He sent them far away

To the infirmary

He clogged Jim Fryatt

And Barry Stobart

He sent them far away"

To the tune A Scottish Soldier. Alan Lawson was truly hard (the reference to Fryatt was when the latter played for Stockport). The word legend is overused but for those who have seen him play he was a legend.

Sandy Wann was the hardest. I remember a game at York. Train derailed on way and I arrived in time to see the York winger make the mistake of beating the full back. Up stepped Wann who was wider then tall. His thigh muscles were wider than a prop forwards gut. He took the ball but unfortunately the wingers leg was behind it. The noise of the bone snapping was heard all round the ground. He didn't even say sorry, just looked down on him smiled and walked away. Latics were one nill up I was told, and then defended their lead against 10 men for the rest of the match (no subs in those days). Not my greatest day of football pleasure. Still it was 2 points.

Keith Hicks wasnt affraid to dish it out when needed kenny clements and martin buchan were no shrinking violets either .

Greegs is the current hard man for me remmeber windass coming on for bradfut couple of seasons ago first challenge is on big sean goes in and wallops sean who doesent even flinch fatboy windass bounces off and crumples to the floor like hes been shot greegs wanders back helps him up pats him on the head and walks off windass did f all for the rest of the game

class

Alan Lawson

Remember singing these words (or similar) to the tune of "Scottish Soldier"

There was a player, a Scottish player

and Lawson was his name

and clogging was his game

He came to Oldham

when Celtic sold him

He was victorious

He clogged them glorious

He got Jim Fryatt

and Barry Stobart

and sent them far away to the infirmary

Oh happy memories

Will never forget Darren Beckford breaking Craig Shorts nose in the last minute against Derby.

Also remember Roger Wylde kicking an Orient player in the balls and walking off before the ref could send him off.

Darren McDonagh anyone?