Predictions- England vs USA 12/06/10

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

England 2 vs 2 USA

First Goalscorer - Frank Lampard

0-0

tabloids dig out their torches and pitch-forks. Don't believe the hype, we're nowhere near as good as many think. Defensively dodgy, square pegs in round holes in midfield and no out and out goalscorer up top. Rooney apart we're an average team. Not doom and gloom just a realist that has been caught up in the hype too many times before. When we're considering Bent and Zamora and have actually picked Defoe and Heskey you have to be afraid!

Owen's past it but you have to think but for his injury he's still better than what we've picked - Rooney apart.

Prove me wrong lads! :grin:

0-0

tabloids dig out their torches and pitch-forks. Don't believe the hype, we're nowhere near as good as many think. Defensively dodgy, square pegs in round holes in midfield and no out and out goalscorer up top. Rooney apart we're an average team. Not doom and gloom just a realist that has been caught up in the hype too many times before. When we're considering Bent and Zamora and have actually picked Defoe and Heskey you have to be afraid!

Owen's past it but you have to think but for his injury he's still better than what we've picked - Rooney apart.

Prove me wrong lads! :grin:

I hope they do, but does anybody actually believe we are as good as Spain and Brazil. There is no were near as much press hype as the two previous World Cups so i think even the Journo's have finally admitted we're not that Great.

I hope they do, but does anybody actually believe we are as good as Spain and Brazil. There is no were near as much press hype as the two previous World Cups so i think even the Journo's have finally admitted we're not that Great.

1-1. Late equaliser from Rooney. Cue doom and gloom before a dramatic resurgence sees us get as far as the quarters and the inevitable narrow defeat.

Edited by OAFCMIKE

2-1 England

I agree with Prozacs assessment of the side but when compared to the yanks its a game we should win on both paper and reality....

What bothers me is the Yanks if not else are quick, strong and a threat from set-pieces - our weakness has been from set-pieces so that's a worry. Another problem we have is when teams run at as with pace and power, often we ball watch - that's not unique to the class of 2010 that goes back to as long as I can remember, Maradona in '86, Ekeke '90, Romania '98, Brazil '02 etc...

The Yanks are no longer a push over, they beat Australia 3-1 the other night a team i'm picking to finish behind the Krauts who we could possibly be playing in round 2. If we go in with the right attitude we should be ok, BUT we are notoriously slow starters in tournaments!

86 L v Portugal 0-1

88 L v Ireland 0-1

90 D v Ireland 1-1

92 D v Denmark 0-0

96 D v Switzerland 1-1

98 W v Tunisia 2-0

00 L (after being 2-0 up!!!) 2-3 v Portugal

02 D 1-1 v Sweden

04 L (after leading with seconds remaining!) 1-2 v France

06 W 1-0 v Paraguay

Edited by oafcprozac

Brazil are a bit of an unknown quantity, I think given South Africa's long unbeaten run and a little nudge from FIFA (ala South Korea) :wink: will see the hosts do well, just to keep the interest alive you understand. The Krauts are a young hungry side who are ALWAYS geared for tournaments. Spain are knocking on a bit like us. Italy will be there or thereabouts. France will do sod all imo and Messi is capable of doing what Maradona did '86 and winning it on his own. I have to say I quite fancy the Dutch to do well. Doom and gloom aside given a bit of luck England may do very well BUT at some point we will have to beat a team on penalties.

My England team for the knockout stages

James

Johnson

King

Terry

Cole

Gerrard

Lampard

Barry

Cole

Rooney

Heskey

What bothers me is the Yanks if not else are quick, strong and a threat from set-pieces - our weakness has been from set-pieces so that's a worry.

Ironically that's in direct contradiction to what they were all raving about on TalkNoMark yesterday, which I was unfortunately subjected to throughout the afternoon.

My prediction? An Emile Heskey inspired 3-1 victory.

I wish you would all sod off :) This the game I am going to :)

It should be a great atmosphere. I wouldn't worry too much about what goes on on the pitch!

I agree with RoyleArmy ( :shock: ) ... an uninspiring 1-1 draw.

Are we as good as Spain and Brasil? I'm afraid that's about the same as asking if Stoke are as good as Man Utd and Chelsea.

There's not that much to choose between the rest though. Spain and Brasil are streets ahead, then Argentina, Italy, Germany, France, Netherlands, Portugal and England are all pretty close. With at least one wild card from Africa or South America joining the party.

It should be a great atmosphere. I wouldn't worry too much about what goes on on the pitch!

I agree with RoyleArmy ( :shock: ) ... an uninspiring 1-1 draw.

Are we as good as Spain and Brasil? I'm afraid that's about the same as asking if Stoke are as good as Man Utd and Chelsea.

There's not that much to choose between the rest though. Spain and Brasil are streets ahead, then Argentina, Italy, Germany, France, Netherlands, Portugal and England are all pretty close. With at least one wild card from Africa or South America joining the party.

I was talking to a Spanish guy about what they think of England and they genuinely think we are a quality side with the likes of Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney, Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Joe Cole, Terry, Johnson etc.

I think it is a case of the grass is always greener. I personally think that Spain are a better team than us but there is not much in it and I dont think the Spanish or Brazilians would ever see a match against England as a guaranteed victory and that is why we are in with a shout of winning the tournament.

In the last World Cup we did not play well, yet we still took a very good Portugal side to penalties with 10 men when it really mattered!