Oldham v Burnley Match/Postmatch Thread - MERGE O MATIC ACTIVE

I agree with everything the Burnley fans said.....but I bloody loved it. If Dickov can get em that fired up for a friendly then God help League One. Every team will know they're in a game. Leeds won't come here in a cup game and dance through the match without a care like last season. Was interesting to see Jarrett at CB he read the game well and could adapt to the role with the right coaching. Allessandra played RM but popped up in a few central positions. Maybe he'll be better deployed as a creative midfielder ala Joe Cole. A nice bit of repurposing from our management team.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view on the trialist;

Rod Mcdonald - Big and strong, reasonable defensively but distribution was terrible. Might be ok with some coaching.

Highdale - Right ideas at times but just not good enough for me.

Owebanjo(?) - Average in most respects. No real mistakes and nothing to write home about, wouldn't get anywhere near Kieron Lee and he'd struggle to replace Lomax or Black either so a none starter in my opinion.

Jones, P - Looked ok. Had the right idea when the ball was coming into him, getting in front of his man, laying it off and spinning away. Touch wasn't brilliant at times, but not bad on the whole. Worth another look.

Jarrett - Didn't realise he could play centre back. Looked fairly assured there but I can remember his performance against hudders a few seasons back when he ran them ragged and i'd like to see if he can still produce that to be honest. We have plenty of midfielders though so it would likely mean we'd have to make room for him in the squad. For me, Worthy is absolutely bobbins, up there with David Lee for midfielders with no ability with a football. If we had Jarrett instead of Worthy in the squad we'd be stronger for it. We already know that even though it's not his preferred role, Furman can break up play if we need him to and sit deep.

I think that was all of them. Of the rest, I thought Brooke looked stronger and more agressive than lasts eason which can only help him imrpove as a player. Much of what he lacks is physicality rather than ability. Eaves looks even bigger than last year and worried their defenders who he was barging around for fun, hopefully he can hit the net a few times for us this season but I still wouldn't rely on him yet. Lewis looked good, as always he shows far more natural ability than most of our players but he's on his last chance this season you would have to think. Both keepers played well, Furman looked alright, Stephens and Jones seemed confortable together first half. Decent run out really.

The work ethic of all the players impressed me and this looks a much stronger squad than last season.

However, the old failing on far post crosses appeared again and IMO a tall centre back who is powerul in the air is urgently required.

Edited by BP1960

The work ethic of all the players impressed me and this looks a much stronger squad than last season.

However, the old failing on far post crosses appeared again and IMO a tall centre back who is powerul in the air is urgently required.

Yes the far post again was our undoing...same last year too///get it sorted PD...