Improvement of Attendance This Season?

After the gathering the other night, do you think this will result in more fans attending?

What you guys think..

Please express your views.

Will all depend upon results.

But as of two weeks ago I heard STs were 700 down on last year, so the signs aren't good and a few attendances starting with a '2' beckon unless we start winning, and winning well.

From what i've heard it was a success the other night, and PD seems to be very confident and determined to win fans back. Hope he gets the results we need. Getting 6,000-7,000 and a good atmosphere every game would be lovely sight.

I think this new found belief in dickov and his team will initially lead to a rise on last seasons attendances ( 2nd half of the season especially )

It will then depend on the style of play and commitment as to whether we can retain the increase.

Getting 6,000-7,000 and a good atmosphere every game would be lovely sight.

It would but that would require us to being top 6 all depends on results we do well it will be around 5500-6500 another season like last it will be 3-4000 with even some being sub 3000.

I wouldnt read too much into the first two home games re figures purely as lots of Oldhamers still take hols as per old Aug/Sep wakes. But can see a few curious City fans turning up. If we play with spirit and get a few lucky breaks with results crowds will take a look. In past it is these games where players fluff lines.

After watching the vid of the meeting am very impressed with the style, passion honesty. Feeney fits that mold. Isnt chasing money but wants to play and get into NI team.

Will do well to keep this management team can just see pressure down the road. Good luck.

Butler didnt appear too happy re fitness did he.

Oldham Wakes was end of June/start of July.

I just about remember us having a week or two's school holiday for them....they got rid of it very early 90s IIRC and added on a week or so to the Summer Holidays.

But you are right, a lot of people are on holiday in Aug/Sept. However, that's the same every year - so the first few games will give us some idea!

Edited by Yard Dog

Oldham Wakes was always the two weeks ending on the first Saturday in July BUT was a second week finishing first Sat in September that SOME areas like Hathershaw took Bell Mill, Maple Mill known as September Week (Wakes) Bank Holiday weekend the one before schools returned. My grandad 87 says Wakes was later and moved forward over years. The September WEEKEND became the second holiday period as cheaper for many and remains so, this was case in 60s when Grandad took the holiday from Platts.

think there will be a good following to tranmere...it will depend on that result and cup game midweek how many turn up for first home game..im sure it will be well attended...

but then it really does depend on how the season progresses,if dickovs words transform into actions and we have a decent run playing decent football people will come back.

as for oldham wakes.was always last week of june first of july and we always had first week in september,kids go back to school second week.

All depends on how we start; if we can win away at the Trannies and beat Notts County at home, hopefully in front of a good underwhelmed at the appointment (including myself), have been won round pretty quickly with a couple of decent signings and some sensible comments in the press.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but one of the best home crowds we had (discounting away fans) was Stockport at home, the first game, and because it was so awful, some did not go back.

I think there will be a modest upturn compared to the end of last season in the first couple of home games, maybe even growing slightly as people return from holidays.

But if we don't play like Germany and win those matches 11-0, then it'll soon be back to the base of 3,000 plus aways.

Some people seem easily pleased. I've seen nothing to drag me back yet. In fact many of the factors that led to me giving up have got significantly worse.

I think there will be a modest upturn compared to the end of last season in the first couple of home games, maybe even growing slightly as people return from holidays.

But if we don't play like Germany and win those matches 11-0, then it'll soon be back to the base of 3,000 plus aways.

Some people seem easily pleased. I've seen nothing to drag me back yet. In fact many of the factors that led to me giving up have got significantly worse.

Agree with you there but will be there no matter what.

I'm sure future attendances will depend very largely on results, if we can hit the ground running and get some positive results, undoubtedly some 'fans' will crawl out of the woodwork and claim they've never been away.

I can't say I'm holding my breath though.

Edited by Hometownclub

When Shez first took over, attendances were in the low 4000's but when fans realised the football we were playing was a good standard the attendances began to rise to over 5000. Get some good football going and fans will start to come back.

Oldham Wakes was always the two weeks ending on the first Saturday in July BUT was a second week finishing first Sat in September that SOME areas like Hathershaw took Bell Mill, Maple Mill known as September Week (Wakes) Bank Holiday weekend the one before schools returned. My grandad 87 says Wakes was later and moved forward over years. The September WEEKEND became the second holiday period as cheaper for many and remains so, this was case in 60s when Grandad took the holiday from Platts.

Spot on and we got those two weeks off school. This holiday was abolished in Oldham during the 91/92 school year meaning that instead schools simply got a week off for half-term incorporating Spring Bank Holiday. Those that went to left-footer schools amongst us got two weeks still! But the holiday had been brought forward. Strangely enough until my change in career we have tended to go on holiday around the old Wakes' dates!

I'm sure future attendances will depend very largely on results, if we can hit the ground running and get some positive results, undoubtedly some 'fans' will crawl out of the woodwork and claim they've never been away.

I can't say I'm holding my breath though.

"Fans" like me who are trying to get the motivation to come back think feck it when they read posts like this..

Edited by oafc0000

???

Are you serious ?

Absolutely, I'm sick to death of reading the million and one reasons why people can't be arsed going, if you are an Oldham Athletic supporter and can afford to attend and geographically can get to games, then just support the club and go.

Absolutely, I'm sick to death of reading the million and one reasons why people can't be arsed going, if you are an Oldham Athletic supporter and can afford to attend and geographically can get to games, then just support the club and go.

So you do want people to come back...

+1

The equivalent of "armchair reds" is "keyboard Latics".

Edited by apple

We all do support the club, that's why we are here and when we don't go to games we listen to the game on latics world in our latics shirts chatting with latics fans. No doubt things are perfectly fine for you to spend your money.

I'd like to go but it's not enjoyable, the place isn't welcoming and I'm more likely to be assaulted by ignorant fans than see an Oldham win. I'm thinking of going again but this just reminds me of what it's been like at BP over the last couple of seasons. I've had enough of it!