eaves can leave

Yeah but who's gonna get our goals for us?

Would like to see a natural predator brought in with an instinct for goals.

Dean Kelly has been talked of in terms of having a natural finishers instinct - he's got work to do; but he might be someone to come in; step up to the plate and stick a few in the old onion bag!!

I just fear any cash now will not be put back into the sides coffers. Whilst reading that the club is actively touting Eaves around. Same old same old for us Latics fans.

With repect Lags, I would not assume it's true just becasue the Chron says so, they certainly know how to hold a grudge......

I do think that the Chrons reporting angle, whilst to be expected, leaves a lot to be desired.

It's hardly helpful at this crucial stage up to the start of the seaon to capture the imagination of the floating fan if it sways a hard core and worldly wise fan like your good self.

With repect Lags, I would not assume it's true just becasue the Chron says so, they certainly know how to hold a grudge......

I do think that the Chrons reporting angle, whilst to be expected, leaves a lot to be desired.

It's hardly helpful at this crucial stage up to the start of the seaon to capture the imagination of the floating fan if it sways a hard core and worldly wise fan like your good self.

It's not just this snippet though is it Singe. It's the whole noise outta the place ever since the ST offer ended. The houses already going up whether or not Failworth gets the nod.

Plus in this story they've quoted AH

Edited by Lags

corney apparently wants 750k now and 250k add ons according to a source on oafc

thats what we should be asking up front at a minimum in my opinion

750k would be very hard to turn down.

The interesting sceanrio would be an offer of say 500k (as LL says half the money) and where the tipping point (for Simon Corney) to hold out point is to say actually we'll keep him for now, take our chances on him being useful to us and that is worth X amount to keep him to keep us just out of relegation/mid table/chasing a promo spot.

£500k in this day and age is a rare sum for a player, especially unproven.

EDIT And vital we keep the fee undisclosed in this instance!

Edited by singe

All this for a kid who's never started a first-team competitive match and never scored a first-team competitive goal?

Keep cranking up the price if you can!

(The way he took his hat-trick the other night was impressive, and suggests progress since he missed the sitter at Huddersfield. I really hope he goes on to make the big time, but Latics are absolutely right to cash in now).

I just fear any cash now will not be put back into the sides coffers.

You would hope that some would clear debt, and some would get reinvested in the playing side of the business.

Edited by opinions4u

All this for a kid who's never started a first-team competitive match and never scored a first-team competitive goal?

Stop talking sense man! There won't be a sale...and I just hope he scores quickly or Eaves will get the pasting that Lewis got once the furore over his Scunny hattrick died down.

At present, more chance that he'll go to Wrexham for £20k next season than Middlesborough for £200k....

Why are latics fans ALWAYS talking the price down..... IF a number of clubs want him for +£750k fine worth taking in present climate. But none of this 250k now crap...and MAYBE more later ie Richards.

Eaves WILL make it big time remember hes a young lad. If he was at Leeds they would ask 1.5 million and take just less.

Spot on!.......What's wrong with setting our sights high for once.

With the odd exception we invariably come off worst in transfer dealings, it's about time we came out on top.

Trotman for £500K is a perfect example of potential not fulfilled (and we did very well out of that).

We live in a time when all clubs are looking after their wallets (apart from City) and the days of someone spending £1m on a striker who has scored 0 senior goals because he is full of potential are gone.

Why are latics fans ALWAYS talking the price down..... IF a number of clubs want him for +£750k fine worth taking in present climate. But none of this 250k now crap...and MAYBE more later ie Richards.

Eaves WILL make it big time remember hes a young lad. If he was at Leeds they would ask 1.5 million and take just less.

He is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for him. The case of ourselves and Leeds is very different unfortunately our respective clubs ambitions are somewhat different Leeds may be hoping to be going into the premiership in 12 months time, we could well be in administration again.

To be fair we have covered ourselves here by giving him a 5 years contract but if monies tight we may have to take what we can get that unfortunately is how it works.

He is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for him. The case of ourselves and Leeds is very different unfortunately our respective clubs ambitions are somewhat different Leeds may be hoping to be going into the premiership in 12 months time, we could well be in administration again.

To be fair we have covered ourselves here by giving him a 5 years contract but if monies tight we may have to take what we can get that unfortunately is how it works.

Spot on and so it then becomes a judgement call from the owners and probably the bank and team manager as to what offer, if any they should accept.

Be sensible. Trotman, Delph and Maynard (mentioned elsewhere) were examples of stupid money at their respective levels - Maynard was never worth what Brizzle paid and I was pissing my sides when Trotman went for £500k; the lad was an athlete but he couldn't pass the ball 10 yards...

Eaves is a promising young player, but no more than that. He is worth what people will pay for him, but I suspect that such a sum will be aimed low especially given the club's public financial troubles. While £1m would be lovely, it isn't going to come and in reality it would grossly overpricing the lad at this stage of his career - he hasn't scored a senior goal yet!

Realistically we should be holding out for about £300k up front with money at the back end as well, but realistically achievable targets (first appearance, ten goals - that sort of thing) should he go on to be a real player. Any less than £300k and I suspect that we might be better of keeping him, and I cannot see anyone offering more at this stage. Like I've said elsewhere - Bostock only went for £750k.