Car Insurance

sjk2008

Age doesn't really make a diff these days. I'm 38, a firefighter that drives the pumps (apparently my blue lights drving course was supposed to stand me in good stead), 7 yrs no claims, 20 yrs experience..... £650 on an X5 diesel. Its a bleedin ripoff.

Do you do that online or over the phone?

When I worked at esure, with ourselves the best prices we offered were on the price comparison sites, for the reason that we had next to no overheads (I think we paid them 30 quid for every policy sold).

Going through the price comparison sites is more often than not cheaper than going direct.

Going through the price comparison sites is more often than not cheaper than going direct.

Interesting call.

I have been know to get the approximate premium via a price comparison site and then buy via a cashback site (e.g. Topcashback, Quidco etc) where, for example, Esure currently pay you a £60 rebate.

And yes, there has always been a slightly higher premium, although that £60 will probably more than offset it.

Do you do that online or over the phone?

When I worked at esure, with ourselves the best prices we offered were on the price comparison sites, for the reason that we had next to no overheads (I think we paid them 30 quid for every policy sold).

Yeah it was through moneysupermarket.com just yesterday. Ironically enough, with gocompare it was around £50 more with the same company (swift/AXA)!

Yeah it was through moneysupermarket.com just yesterday. Ironically enough, with gocompare it was around £50 more with the same company (swift/AXA)!

I used moneysupermarket.com, and it came back with dearer quotes than with the same company when i did on Confused.com.

I used both, phoned the companies in question and got them to undercut the comparison site by being a bulls---er.

I then went with Direct Line by telling them how much I'd got the others down to and getting them to undercut that.

I used both, phoned the companies in question and got them to undercut the comparison site by being a bulls---er.

I then went with Direct Line by telling them how much I'd got the others down to and getting them to undercut that.

If you're willing to put the effort in, you can make savings everywhere. Too often people accept that the best price quoted is the best price they'll get.

Ackey's right. Ring round and tell people what you've been quoted and get them to beat it. Also ALWAYS use a cashback site where possible - I have received £341 Quidco cashback so far this year, just on essentials like insurance, RAC cover, hotel rooms, and my Playboy mag subscription.

• 4 weeks later...

You pays your money and takes your choice. Beware though if you are with a cheap one, as they are usually quite big firms and so the odds of having a prang with someone with the same insurance company (even if they aren't named as such) are higher. That way its in the companies interest to get a dodgy deal for one party as it means two different lots of excess (thus reducing their costs).

I think I found it out to my cost when I was hit from behind by a :censored: at a roundabout and his story made just enough sense for it to be his word against mine so it ended up being 50/50. I thought I was getting a good deal with Tesco (which is the same as Churchill, Privelege and quite a few others) at the time but have since changed my policy and pay a bit more but I'm with a better company.

However, if you want to simply pay less for your car insurance try the likes of Churchill, Tesco, Asda etc.

My old man's currently with Co Op Insurance and his is up for renewal in November. I have my driving test in October so on the proviso i pass it, im hoping the old man can use some haggling skills with them to get me on mutli car and see if he can get mine as low as possible with him or mother dearest on my policy as an additional driver.

Just refuse to my robbed of the best part of 2K!!!

May even wait an extra month til Dec 3rd when i turn 25 and see if that helps reduce the premuim too!!

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter (19) has a fiat 500 and the missus is looking at getting an Audi TT. For Youngun on own policy, 18mths driving experience but no NCD, £1600. Admiral multicar, all 3 of us can drive the fiat but only me and missus can drive audi, £1500. Brings daughters insurance down to a grand. ABsolute bargain.

i have a 2008 toyota yaris, its only a 1 litre but its a good runner, i have 3 years no claims and always put my mum and dad on which saves me 20 percent, just paid 700 quid with admiral last month. the thing with admiral is its a hell of a lot cheaper to pay it all at once i think it would have cost me well over a grand if i had paid monthly so its worth considering saving for a couple of months and then paying outright for the year.

My daughter (19) has a fiat 500 and the missus is looking at getting an Audi TT. For Youngun on own policy, 18mths driving experience but no NCD, £1600. Admiral multicar, all 3 of us can drive the fiat but only me and missus can drive audi, £1500. Brings daughters insurance down to a grand. ABsolute bargain.

So you would recommend multicar (or at least enquiring about multicar)?