England tonight

So basically you hate steven gerrard and refuse to admit that he's a great player no matter what, and you will never change your mind. Pointless trying to argue with you if that's the case.

Nope. He may have been a great player. Istanbul was amazing. Munich (all those years ago) was amazing. The FA cup final against West Ham was amazing. He's even changed the game for England in more than one recent friendly.

My reasoning is if he ain't going to cut it in two years, he shouldn't be playing now, especially not in a friendly when there's basically nothing at stake, when you can give anyone a go.

He also shouldn't be playing because he's tainted with the embarrassment of Blomfontein, and because he has nothing to offer the younger players except an overblown ego. Let's not forget that those younger players (who are supposed to look up to him) saw younger, fitter, hungrier and more skillful Krauts make a fool of him.

Just because he got two tonight against that mean, brutish defence, featuring a keeper in unwashed jogging cecks, doesn't mean he's the future. Him and many others who mysteriously got a run out tonight. (My favourite is Barry.)

I think you'll find his mind is closed to all kinds of things, more often than not in the face of any kind of reason.

I see the Liberals are flatlining in the polls incidentally. Happy days. On the bright side, I hear the BNP are looking for people to put crap through people's letter boxes.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love Steven Gerrard, he's my favourite player, but I agree with every word Mr. Tulsehill has said. Get rid of them all. Start afresh.

Hart

Richards :wink:

Onouha

Jagielka

Gibbs

Walcott

Rodwell

Wilshere

Johnson

Wickham

Eaves

Job done. Euro 2012 here we come.

I hear the latest Labour leaflets in some parts have been pretty close to BNP propaganda...

Back to Gerrard and co, I'm not suggesting for a minute that Gerrard is "the future". However, it would be stupid beyond belief to get rid of every last one of the failures in South Africa and expect a young, inexperienced team to cope on its own. Of those failures, Gerrard is the one who's taken a captain's responsibility, faced up to the criticism and seems like he actually wants to make amends. Contrast that with the three Chelsea players, who in the first half looked shockingly disinterested. I'm afraid I can't credit Capello with taking them off at half time - it's too much of a coincidence for it not to have been a cosy little deal with the club. Even so, those players have shown where their priorities lie, so may as well retire them from England now. Our second half showing showed we don't need them.

I love Steven Gerrard, he's my favourite player, but I agree with every word Mr. Tulsehill has said. Get rid of them all. Start afresh.

Hart

Richards :wink:

Onouha

Jagielka

Gibbs

Walcott

Rodwell

Wilshere

Johnson

Wickham

Eaves

Job done. Euro 2012 here we come.

That'll do for me. Semis at least.

I hear the latest Labour leaflets in some parts have been pretty close to BNP propaganda...

That's all right then. If you've heard it, I'll take it seriously. Honestly I will.

That's all right then. If you've heard it, I'll take it seriously. Honestly I will.

:laught16: That's fine, I wouldn't expect you to take it any more seriously than I take your lunatic ramblings.

That young England team, if thrown in now, wouldn't qualify, let alone reach the semis and in the process you'd ruin a few England careers before they'd properly started.

Blood a few of them at a time, slowly replacing the old guard as the first ones gain experience, however, will bring rewards ... or at least give them the best chance of reaching their potential.

Back to Gerrard and co, I'm not suggesting for a minute that Gerrard is "the future". However, it would be stupid beyond belief to get rid of every last one of the failures in South Africa and expect a young, inexperienced team to cope on its own. Of those failures, Gerrard is the one who's taken a captain's responsibility, faced up to the criticism and seems like he actually wants to make amends. Contrast that with the three Chelsea players, who in the first half looked shockingly disinterested. I'm afraid I can't credit Capello with taking them off at half time - it's too much of a coincidence for it not to have been a cosy little deal with the club. Even so, those players have shown where their priorities lie, so may as well retire them from England now. Our second half showing showed we don't need them.

Agreed. Gerrard is always the one who shows the most fight and desire to win. He cares about trying to make amends for what happened in south africa and you could see how much it meant to him to get those two goals. I couldn't imagine any of the other older players celebrating like gerrard did after scoring in a friendly. He is a leader and i always thought he should have been given the captaincy from the off and not because of terry being stripped of it and ferdinand being injured.

Go take a peek at the Lib Dem opinion polls... Will give you a smile :)

Absolutely. Wipe out coming in the AV referendum too. I'll campaign against, on the deep, deep principle that if the Liberals want it, it must be terrible.

:laught16: That's fine, I wouldn't expect you to take it any more seriously than I take your lunatic ramblings.

That young England team, if thrown in now, wouldn't qualify, let alone reach the semis and in the process you'd ruin a few England careers before they'd properly started.

Blood a few of them at a time, slowly replacing the old guard as the first ones gain experience, however, will bring rewards ... or at least give them the best chance of reaching their potential.

Tonight was a friendly against seriously weak opposition. 7 of the players who started (allegedly) in Blomfontein started tonight. That can't be right. If you're looking to blood players, you do it in friendlies. I reckon a team with something to prove (rather than a team attempting to resurrect dead reputations) would've thrashed Hungary tonight.

I thought Capello would take no crap from the Senior Players (who've done nothing when it counts too many times), but I was wrong.

That team wouldn't even qualify!

Here lies the problem with football in this country. We've not got the talent coming through...reserve squads packed with foreigners. All this "homegrown" :censored:e...what does it do? It means Arsenal's £1m 14yr old capture will be homegrown by the time he's required yet playing for a French or Spanish side etc. We're turning into the rest of the Home Nations....Dawson, he ain't good enough...Johnson, he ain't good enough, Barry - NOT GOOD ENOUGH...we'll get the odd wonderkid, maybe it'll be Gibbs? Money will posion him and he'll be good enough when he feels like it.

Watching Rooney tonight got me thinking...I've heard people claim he's over-rated, even domestically and I've sniggered to myself. But I think now, is he just another Andy Cole? At Everton, he was a wonderkid. He went to the scum and drank the poison....Cole scored hatfuls on great service at Newcastle (in their day) and the Scum but couldn't provide it for England. Maybe for all his gurning, he just looks better with the players he has around him at the Scum but stick him with the "cream" of England and he's just another Cole...one who got dropped...it needs to happen to him now. I gaurantee 1 thing...it won't hurt him AND it won't hurt England!

Tonight was a friendly against seriously weak opposition. 7 of the players who started (allegedly) in Blomfontein started tonight. That can't be right. If you're looking to blood players, you do it in friendlies. I reckon a team with something to prove (rather than a team attempting to resurrect dead reputations) would've thrashed Hungary tonight.

I thought Capello would take no crap from the Senior Players (who've done nothing when it counts too many times), but I was wrong.

We've got an important game in 3 weeks time....changes are good....hack jobs are not! If you're going to go through changing and blending in the youth over the next 2 years you do it sensibly, gradually...I'll take Capellos way over your way, thanks!

Absolutely. Wipe out coming in the AV referendum too. I'll campaign against, on the deep, deep principle that if the Liberals want it, it must be terrible.

I don't suppose that should be a surprise, supporting as you do a party that has no principles of its own. <_<

As you usually do you're creating an argument to try and push the single, simplistic view you have to offer.

I don't think anybody has defended the starting eleven in its entirety, or the fact that seven of those starting did so against Germany. What the sane majority are saying is that there has to be a period of handover, a chance to blood the youngsters a few at a time.

You're single mindedly obsessing about Gerrard - what about Terry, Cole and Lampard? They ponce around for 45 minutes doing :censored: all, while Gerrard stays on and turns the game. Yet it's Gerrard who receives your abuse?

You need to stop drinking, pal. And if you weren't, you need to start. :grin:

Here lies the problem with football in this country. We've not got the talent coming through...reserve squads packed with foreigners. All this "homegrown" :censored:e...what does it do? It means Arsenal's £1m 14yr old capture will be homegrown by the time he's required yet playing for a French or Spanish side etc. We're turning into the rest of the Home Nations....Dawson, he ain't good enough...Johnson, he ain't good enough, Barry - NOT GOOD ENOUGH...we'll get the odd wonderkid, maybe it'll be Gibbs? Money will posion him and he'll be good enough when he feels like it.

Watching Rooney tonight got me thinking...I've heard people claim he's over-rated, even domestically and I've sniggered to myself. But I think now, is he just another Andy Cole? At Everton, he was a wonderkid. He went to the scum and drank the poison....Cole scored hatfuls on great service at Newcastle (in their day) and the Scum but couldn't provide it for England. Maybe for all his gurning, he just looks better with the players he has around him at the Scum but stick him with the "cream" of England and he's just another Cole...one who got dropped...it needs to happen to him now. I gaurantee 1 thing...it won't hurt him AND it won't hurt England!

What a load of bollocks.

We've got an important game in 3 weeks time....changes are good....hack jobs are not! If you're going to go through changing and blending in the youth over the next 2 years you do it sensibly, gradually...I'll take Capellos way over your way, thanks!

Exactly, you can't just completely change the team and expect it to work straight away. It has to be done gradually.

Brilliant, well reasoned reply...you've excelled yourself tonight!

I knew you'd say that. Suffice to say I couldn't (and still can't) be arsed to argue against each individual point, I disagreed with pretty much all of it and it isn't worth the effort of typing out!

I knew you'd say that. Suffice to say I couldn't (and still can't) be arsed to argue against each individual point, I disagreed with pretty much all of it and it isn't worth the effort of typing out!

So Arsenal, Chelsea et al don't have foreign kids coming through their ranks then.....with the odd shining star like Gibbs that may ultimately fail and be the next Johnson (:censored:)...If there's a plethora of talents coming through, can you point it out for me please as I must've missed it!

Also, if you have the answer as to why Rooney is gash for England...hey, myself and most of the country would like to hear it.......

Edited by boundaryblue80

The Greedy League hasn't been doing its bit for the national team for many years now, and it shows.

I don't think Rooney's the same as Cole. Rooney was marked out as a great player from a young age, whereas Cole had to fight for what he got after getting knocked back at Arsenal. I agree he should be dropped all the same. Just for the sake of it. Just to see how he reacts. If he reacts like Cole did to his knock back, we're laughing. If he sulks, we haven't lost much. Ask Miroslav Klose what a lot of ability and a bad attitude gets you.

I don't suppose that should be a surprise, supporting as you do a party that has no principles of its own. <_<

As you usually do you're creating an argument to try and push the single, simplistic view you have to offer.

I don't think anybody has defended the starting eleven in its entirety, or the fact that seven of those starting did so against Germany. What the sane majority are saying is that there has to be a period of handover, a chance to blood the youngsters a few at a time.

You're single mindedly obsessing about Gerrard - what about Terry, Cole and Lampard? They ponce around for 45 minutes doing :censored: all, while Gerrard stays on and turns the game. Yet it's Gerrard who receives your abuse?

You need to stop drinking, pal. And if you weren't, you need to start. :grin:

I'm not picking on Gerrard. In my first post on this thread, I had a go at a series of players who are in the same boat. No one defended them, but some people defended Gerrard, even on the grounds that he managed to get it past a keeper who really should learn to dive once in a while. And later on the grounds that he waltzed through the Championship defence of Hungary like George Best. In a friendly. At home.

I didn't single him out, but some people seem to want to defend his place even though he'll be no good in two years. When it counts, he won't be good enough. Again. This time because he's too old.

To be fair, I thought

summed it up perfectly. :huh:

Same question to you then....

Where's this wealth of talent coming through?

Why is Rooney completely ineffective for England when it counts?

Saying it's bollocks is quite frankly being a :censored:out!