Charlton vs Latics Post Game Thread

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Parkinson talks ...

"Even in the second half we didn't play with the quality I know we can do but credit to Oldham for that; they came and put in a very dogged performance and made it difficult for us.

Reflecting on Oldham, who like the Addicks moved on to seven points at the end of the third round of matches, Parkinson continued: "I've seen both their games on DVD this week and said to our boys that they have won two and it is not lucky.

"Both performances were good, they have got energy in the team and they will cause a lot of upsets in this season because they are good.

"I knew today was going to be very, very difficult. They are the best team we've played to date and they made it tough for us."

Previous games were Orient, Shrewsbury and Bournemouth.

A top half finish begins to look more likely each week.

Edited by opinions4u

800 sounds about right. Looked like there were about that amount.

great result,and also a fantastic following down to londonian...think if we do well in next two matches and keep unbeaten were going to have a cracking season...

no point moaning we could or should have won...win ya home games and draw your aways and thats promotion form.

Just got back and all I can say is what a total difference from last seasons team! We were good in the first half without being outstanding but raised the tempo massivly in the second half and should half scored more and gone on to win. Big Tucan up front is going to cause massive problems in this league. All the players look comfortable and hungry for the ball, especially Jarrett, the only player I thought was slightly poor was Taylor, who couldn't get into the game and gave the ball away easily several times.

The Charlton fans moaned about us being dirty but far from it, we hassled them and they didn't like it, sure some things were a little illegal but nothing major, we've had it done to us in the past and it's a good reputation to have I think, teams don't like playing against other teams with a reputation like that. Long may it continue.

The Oldham fans were in good voice, a steward told me they had been told to expect around 500-600 but there was plenty more than that. The fans were really appreciated by the players and management GT looked particularly happy at the result and that we'd wound Charlton up.

It's looking good for the season, we've done well at one of the favourites for promotion proving the first two league games weren't flukes. We just need to keep it up and make sure we carry on the way we are playing as teams really do not like it

A quick mention for the ref today too, he started badly and progressively got worse! Some very poor and strange decisions going on today!!!! But they still couldn't beat us!!! :grin:

I can't unfortuantly...

booooooooooo.....stay away.....unbeaten all season and ya still dont come.booooo,hahahahahah....j/k

i hope when you eventually get down to see us you give yaself a good kicking for mising the season so far...far far better than last season...the feel good factors back and the singings started again..

Just got back and all I can say is what a total difference from last seasons team! We were good in the first half without being outstanding but raised the tempo massivly in the second half and should half scored more and gone on to win. Big Tucan up front is going to cause massive problems in this league. All the players look comfortable and hungry for the ball, especially Jarrett, the only player I thought was slightly poor was Taylor, who couldn't get into the game and gave the ball away easily several times.

The Charlton fans moaned about us being dirty but far from it, we hassled them and they didn't like it, sure some things were a little illegal but nothing major, we've had it done to us in the past and it's a good reputation to have I think, teams don't like playing against other teams with a reputation like that. Long may it continue.

The Oldham fans were in good voice, a steward told me they had been told to expect around 500-600 but there was plenty more than that. The fans were really appreciated by the players and management GT looked particularly happy at the result and that we'd wound Charlton up.

It's looking good for the season, we've done well at one of the favourites for promotion proving the first two league games weren't flukes. We just need to keep it up and make sure we carry on the way we are playing as teams really do not like it

A quick mention for the ref today too, he started badly and progressively got worse! Some very poor and strange decisions going on today!!!! But they still couldn't beat us!!! :grin:

Just got back and your summary is spot on. Taylor needs to get his act together but he certainly has some competition to keep his place in this team.

The spirit was superb from start to finish and the way they approached the second half was absolutely excellent. This is exactly what you want from your team, 100% effort and trying to win every match...spot on.

What I really loved was every time someone lost the ball a team mate would be there to cover for them or win it back...brilliant!

Well done to PD and the whole team on and off the field....including us lot who were great again today.

Two very winnable home games for us. The most important thing is beating teams at home who we should be beating. We could have lost today and I wouldn't have been worried. But anything less than 3 points at home against Yeovil will be a momentum and optimism killer. Because we need all the momentum we can get going into September. Taking 10 points from August will be very good. 7 points from a tricky September would be a good achievement too.

Agreed, probably on balance an even game in the first half and we deserved our goal but were a fair bit better than charlton in the second, a good point, and i thought Furman was exceptional, if only the world cup was this summer B) MOM for me

Agreed, probably on balance an even game in the first half and we deserved our goal but were a fair bit better than charlton in the second, a good point, and i thought Furman was exceptional, if only the world cup was this summer B) MOM for me

Player of the season so far. He was overlooked at Tranmere 'cause of Stephens' goals but I thought he was MOTM in that game too. He's running his socks off and putting in the tackle. Working to win the ball back and passing it well within the midfield. And now it seems he's chipping in with the goals. Never doubted the lads ability, he might have been mis-managed by Penney. But Dickov is getting the best out of him.

But not just him the big difference really is the full backs (Black, Lee) and the 4 across midfield (Jones, Furman, Stephens, Alessandra), their work rate and energy is so high that's we're dominating large sections of the pitch and they're linking up so well. Our short passing is so effective, from full backs all the way through midfield. We're not relying on one player (Wellens) to run the game from midfield, they're all doing it.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Player of the season so far. He was overlooked at Tranmere 'cause of Stephens' goals but I thought he was MOTM in that game too. He's running his socks off and putting in the tackle. Working to win the ball back and passing it well within the midfield. And now it seems he's chipping in with the goals. Never doubted the lads ability, he might have been mis-managed by Penney. But Dickov is getting the best out of him.

But not just him the big difference really is the full backs (Black, Lee) and the 4 across midfield (Jones, Furman, Stephens, Alessandra), their work rate and energy is so high that's we're dominating large sections of the pitch and they're linking up so well. Our short passing is so effective, from full backs all the way through midfield. We're not relying on one player (Wellens) to run the game from midfield, they're all doing it.

Alessandra? I thought he doesnt have the ability to make it, and that Taylor will immediately replace him in the first team? :unsure:

Workrate can compensate for ability, if for a short while. I don't rate Alessandra highly, in his career with his he enjoyed a decent run for 10 or so games, up front linking up well with Lee Hughes and now he appears to be doing okay out wide, both of those spells came in teams which were performing well on the whole. That's not to say I don't want him in the team or the squad. I just don't think it's likely that bigger teams are looking at him, it's a nothing rumour. He's barely played for a year and doesn't stand out as a great prospect. If any team wants Lewi, then sell him, we need the money more and he won't be a huge loss. As long as he is here and putting in the effort, great. Maybe I went too far with my criticism of him, but I was trying to illustrate how silly it is that peopel were giving credence to the rumour that a Premiership team were looking at him.

First game of the season and just got back...

A great effort from the boys. A good point but I am abit gutted as we could, and should, have won the game. Charlton look nothing special although I do think they will make the play-offs! As for ourselves.. well ask me in a couple of games and I might start talking about the play-offs too!

Another cracking strike by Furman!

it looks like dean furman will only be scoring if its a wonder goal :lol: :lol:

well done latics, just did not have the luck, after hitting the post a few times, if it was last season we would not have scored or had a goal scoring chance

onwards and upwards

DICKOV's Barmy Army Still Marching On :wink:

couldn,t go today but when i finally got lp to work it sounded like a cracking game..just wanted to say well done to all the tics down there could here you all loud and clear..fantastic

a breathe of fresh air :lol: :lol:

sounds like we have new fans :lol: :lol: