New season, new Blog on Skysports

A little bemused by some of the Charlton fan's comments...

My wife went to a dog show in Oldham many years ago. She thought it was an ugly, depressing and desolate sort of place. A town where you would rather drive through with a paper bag over your head and risk an accident rather than view it live.

During parts of the second half of the match against Oldham Athletic on Saturday, I felt like wearing two bags on my head. The first bag would obscure the view of the match and the second one just in case the first one blew off in the wind swirling around the North Stand.

I saw one senior Charlton stalwart leave 25 minutes before the end and I could clearly see him mouth the word "dreadful" to the steward as he disappeared down the tunnel. An old boy sitting opposite me in the North-west quadrant snoozed peacefully under his Charlton baseball cap for the last 20.

It has to be said that it was a pretty depressing and desolate experience watching Oldham Athletic.

The game was a scrappy and fragmented affair and I felt like asking for a refund for the second half where the game resembled volleyball rather than football. The day-glow orange flashes on their away kit made Oldham look like highway construction workers and the style was usually Route 1.

The comments about the football we played are just ludicrous. I'll let those of you actually from Oldham defend against the first paragraph...

A little bemused by some of the Charlton fan's comments...

The comments about the football we played are just ludicrous. I'll let those of you actually from Oldham defend against the first paragraph...

I posted my retort immediately - not impressed and have emailed the Fanzone editor

Class retort by Aaro Halliwell though.

Nice one, made me chuckle.

How bitter.

It's Oldham, its a dump therefore the football team must be bad.

Must wear blinkers when he goes round Wolwich I can tell you from first hand experience.

That's exactly what I was thinking when I read the first part, walking around the ground on Saturday it's not an awful lot better up there. I thought I had walked into the middle of a Zombie Apocalypse with all the run down shop and flats.

I'm not from Oldham but of late I've got pretty sick of hearing people resorting to snobby comments from other fans about places rather than actually commenting on the football, to me there seems to be a bit of resentment from people from Southern England that the best teams and the founder members of the Football League came from industrial towns all north of Birmingham. I mean if they want to visit "pretty places" why don't they follow Rugby Union?

Mine won't get posted as it's a bit hard hearted. but here's what i put for your reading pleasure.

''What a stupid blog post, Oldham put your boys in red to shame and all you can try and comment on is our kit being partly orange? In that case, your kit looks like a used tampon. do yourself a favour a put a condom over your head the next time Oldham play Charlton.

Kn**head.

P.S. Your wife went to a dog show in Oldham and came back with first place. ''

Edited by Millertime

Mine won't get posted as it's a bit hard hearted. but here's what i put for your reading pleasure.

''What a stupid blog post, Oldham put your boys in red to shame and all you can try and comment on is our kit being partly orange? In that case, your kit looks like a used tampon. do yourself a favour a put a condom over your head the next time Oldham play Charlton.

Kn**head.

that, my friend, is brilliant! Ha ha

Kn**head.

And they’ve not put that post on the site? Conspiracy I tell thee! :wink:

As for the Charlton fans; I walked to my car with a large bunch of them last year and stoically defended our performance & Penney’s tactics (I know; I know!) – & got the impression that they were under the illusion that away teams should just rock up and roll over; letting Charlton win as they ‘were in the Premiership not long ago you know?’.....I actually thought that last season would have seen to it that they’d have changed that perception by now; but it appears not; they still regard themselves as a massive club that has some sort of god-given divine right to win all their games.

Sod ‘em – they’re in for a tough season as is; they’re a weaker side than the one who failed to get promotion last term – and after some of the comments from their fans board & that blog; I for one can’t wait to welcome to them to BP on the 9th April; were, quite frankly; I hope we give them a right royal pasting!! :comeon:

Kn**head.

Brilliant, that should get put up.

Mine got in, as Doug Dads dead dog or whatver, but hope your line gets a mention. superb.

Love the fact that even the Charlton fans are having a pop too, so 100% slagging the bloke off.

And the fact the stated there was no room ont he bench for Tuna, and both the Charlton fans have pointed out he was on it!

Edited by singe

Surprised Sky Sports allowed him to publish that...

I've emailed my reply to Sky, hopefully they'll publish the following as a new Blog

Further to Charlton Fanzoner Stuart Heaver’s last blog entitled ‘The Oldham Dog Show’, I feel I must use this next blog to defend both my club and my home town against Mr. Heaver’s less than complimentary rant. First of all, Oldham Athletic have never been and never will be the most glamorous of clubs with our dilapidated ground and dwindling fanbase, but given that Charlton Athletic led a nomadic existence for nearly a decade, whilst playing in the old third division, a brief sorte into the top-flight before yet more years in the wilderness before being led back into the promised land under Alan Curbishley but now The Addicks again find themselves playing in the third tier, with financial problems and a dwindling fanbase too. Yet still Mr. Heavers pervades a sense of moral superiority over the people from a hard-working former mill-town that like it’s football team has seen many better days. However, I would like to educate Mr. Heaver in both Oldham Athletic and the wider town.

The team played his team of expensive mis-fits off the pitch on Saturday and on another day would have won three or four one and deservedly so - this despite probably having only a quarter of the budget of the now seemingly ‘frugal’ Charlton Athletic. The Oldham lads are a young team - that play football in the correct manner, with a high tempo and terrific energy. Something his overpaid idols would do well to note.

As for the town of Oldham, since the widely reported unrest in 2001 – the press have enjoyed a free reign in criticising the town. Referring to the town and its residents as ‘dogs’ is frankly an insult. The town has provided many famous academics such as widely renowned historian Ian Kershaw, provided simultaneous captains for England at both football and cricket in Messrs Platt and Atherton s recently as the mid-90s and the housewives favourite Phillip Schofield was born in Oldham too.

The town was the former cotton-spinning capital of the world, Oldham was an engineering heartland that provided machinery for heavy industry all over the world. Not to mention the aero-nautical engineering works at nearby Chadderton. Oldham is surrounded by some of England’s finest countryside and enjoys a rich multi-cultural heritage within the town. Yes, times are hard in the town but the area around Charlton used to be an industrial heartland and has suffered just as badly over the last forty years. Oldham is a conveyor belt of sporting excellence not least as a hot-bed for aspiring Rugby League players. Oldham provided the world with one of its most recognisable faces in supermodel Karen Elson. Oldham was the birthplace of the world’s first test-tube baby, the home of fish and chips, one of the first places to enjoy a Yates’ Wine Lodge and of course it is the home of the tubular bandage.

Oh and its’ dogged footballers were founder members of the Premier League in 1992, where were the all-conquering Charlton Athletic back then?

I and other Oldham fans found your article to be downright insulting and disrespectful to fellow working-class football fans. The one thing we share as football-league fans is that none of us have the superiority complex the Premier League fans have, the game is still real to us. It has changed at our level, but the clubs are still ours and not owned by multi-national conglomerates. You would do well to remember that Stuart.

Edited by oafcprozac

Kn**head.

mint :grin:

The home of fish and chips?

:shock:

Woof.

England

A blue plaque marking the first chip shop in Britain, in Oldham, Lancashire

The dish became popular in wider circles in London and South East England in the middle of the 19th century (Charles Dickens mentions a "fried fish warehouse" in Oliver Twist, first published in 1838) whilst in the north of England a trade in deep-fried "chipped" potatoes developed. The first chip shop stood on the present site of Oldham's Tommyfield Market.[14] It remains unclear exactly when and where these two trades combined to become the fish-and-chip shop industry we know today. Joseph Malin opened the first recorded combined fish-and-chip shop in London in 1860 or in 1865, while a Mr Lees pioneered the concept in the North of England in Mossley, Greater Manchester in 1863.[15]

Mostly true...

Edited by oafcprozac

• 3 weeks later...