Midnight Oldham Kickz

Midnight Kickz

Oldham Athletic Kickz session runs until midnight through Ramadan

In the Islamic faith Muslims practice fasting during the month of Ramadan this entails not eating or drinking while the sun shines. With this in mind it makes it difficult to participate in physical activity as you won’t have as much energy and will be dehydrated if you aren’t able to eat or drink.

Through the month of Ramadan historically there are issues around anti-social behaviour with young people being hanging around after they have broken their fast during late evening and early morning. Within Oldham there are many agencies who work in partnership to cater activities to suit the needs of all communities and being aware of specific needs through for Ramadan is part of this excellent approach to provision Oldham has.

As part of the Kickz project Oldham Athletic works with a group of young people within the Coldhurst area who felt the need for provision should be adapted through the month of Ramadan. This process was done through consultation with the young people and it was identified that they wanted to still participate in football but this would be between the hours of 10pm – 12am. Due to this now through Ramadan the Kickz project has been working with groups of 30 + young people on Tuesday and Saturday evenings between these times.

One of the aims of the Kickz project is to try and reduce the incidences of youth ASB through providing positive diversionary activities throughout the year. With these specific times through Ramadan it is proving successful in providing something for young people to be involved in rather than being on the street and possibly being perceived as participating in anti-social activities.

The sessions through Ramadan are being delivered by Oldham Athletic Community Trust in partnership with Oldham Community Leisure. Who have shown massive support for the local community through allowing the Grange All weather pitch facility to be used at these later times.

James Mwale Oldham Athletic Community Trusts Kickz project co-ordinator said:

“Due to the physical nature of football it was important for us to listen to the views of the young people on what they wanted to do through the month of Ramadan. This has proven to be successful and it has shown with attendances at sessions.”

“The coaches have been excellent and have shown great enthusiasm in delivering sessions at these late hours. There are a few Inclusion projects that go under the title of midnight leagues but deliver up until 10pm but this is actually provision up until midnight which is the first for our sessions as we had previously only ever delivered up until 10pm also. In the future this will be the way to go for us when delivering through Ramadan as it’s clearly when it’s needed.”

For further information please contact James Mwale on 0161 678 8464

midnight.jpg

Editors

1. For further information on Oldham Athletic FC please see – www.oldhamathletic.co.uk

2. For further information on Oldham Athletic Community Trust please see – www.oldhamathleticct.org

Said this before and it's not racist. The Asian population have no interest in attending Latics games (in vast main) so why do we throw effort and resources endlessly in this direction?

Because you have to start somewhere mate. Unsure if you know but in the pre season, The Community Trust held a match at BP for an Asian team v a Latics team.

1200 'asians' attended the game.

This scheme was the only one in the country held at midnight so people could attend after they had eaten.

Because you have to start somewhere mate. Unsure if you know but in the pre season, The Community Trust held a match at BP for an Asian team v a Latics team.

This scheme was the only one in the country held at midnight so people could attend after they had eaten.

Did they come back and pay?

Yes we do have to start somewhere and I have noticed in our last few games an Asian family in the Chaddy end - pre-season when I sat in there.

Also a few youngster/teenager in the RRE end

This is our untapped fan base. Why can't we make it work successfully like other teams do?

i never cheat i love my islam and my religion i bet you guys couldnt do this this fasted called Ramadan.

Not true, those of us who were brought up Catholic will have gone through the test of willpower that is giving up sweets for Lent..... (yeah i know, it's not really the same is it?)

i never cheat i love my islam and my religion i bet you guys couldnt do this this fasted called Ramadan.

Damn right I couldnt do it. Must take a fair bit of will power. Hats off to you....

Easiest way to 'tap into the unused fanbase' would be to get a Pakistani or Bangladeshi player. Then you might see some interest?

Damn right I couldnt do it. Must take a fair bit of will power. Hats off to you....

Easiest way to 'tap into the unused fanbase' would be to get a Pakistani or Bangladeshi player. Then you might see some interest?

Didn't it get a bit heated between players during/after the match? Heard that somewhere...

United, Arsenal, Chelsea?....if not then lets be the first

Yes but they're massively successful. There's no point asking why we can't attract Asian fans when other clubs can, when the other clubs are a completely different proposition. They're hardly Rochdale and Bury.

[cancels Playershare]

:grin::wink:

Edited by HarryBosch