Ticket Prices - A suggestion

A Full discount Season Ticket used for 20 games (assumes up to 3 games missed) is £14 a game – to me this is the base price that match-day prices must exceed to maintain the benefit of a ST.

Post discount Season Ticket used for 23 games is £16.50 (pro-rata price at any point in season); Pay in advance £18; Pay on the day £20

How do you find a pricing structure that doesn’t reduce the price of a season ticket, yet still maintains a differential to the rate for a ST for 20 games (assuming some/many ST holders miss 2/3 games a season).

I’d say drop the in-season ST concept – I doubt it accounts for enough sales to allow it to exist as a barrier to casual sales.

The ideal price for a “regular” casual would be £16 in my opinion, and I’d suggest that you should be able to get up to 2 kids in with that for £2.50 each. But you need to have a system that rewards “regulars”.

I’d go for the standard price being £18, but after 8 games you get the next one free. This would allow some incentive to come back. Keep the ticket stubs, for 8 unique games to get the freebie.

Attending 9 games on this basis means you start off expecting to pay £16 a game (8 x £18 = £144 / 9 = £16).

After paying £18 for the first game, your next 8 games will cost 7 x £18 = £126, which averages £15.75 a game.

By the time you’ve been to 4 games at 4 x £18, you’ve paid £72, and will pay just £72 for the next 5 games, an average price of £14.40.

Once you’ve done 6 games, you have just £36 to pay for your last 3 games, which is £12 a game.

Add in the option of £2.50 per kid and it's £18.22 for both to attend each game. Any games count - they don't need to be 9 in a row, but they do all need to be different games.

You start the scheme by giving a leaflet out when they buy a ticket at the office for their first game. Tell them to keep the ticket stub.

For those that pay on the day, you give them a leaflet and a token with the match details on. They get the same offer based on the £20 admission (ends up as £17.77 a game), but if they switch to advance purchases after their first game, you allow them the extra £2 back to get them to the £16 a game target price.

Comments, thoughts? Barry, other trust board members? Can the Trust board start discussing this sort of idea and put it to the club?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cost and poor facilities are a bit of an excuse to be honest. Cost will definitely be an issue for some people, especially in the current climate, but I feel there are other factors that are probably having a bigger impact. For me they would be :

Poor atmosphere.

Poor football/entertainment.

Poor results.

Failsworth move.

Unappetizing fixtures - as BigFin describes in the other thread ; Bournmouth, Yeovil, Leyton Orient, Exeter, Brighton, MK Dons ... we could go on and on. These are simply unattractive fixtures to those of us who it seems like only yesterday had big travelling armies of Stoke, Burnley, Sunderland, Birmingham, Wolves, Sheff Utd turning up what seemed like every other week, and that's without mentioning the Div 1/Prem Years.

I think cost and poor facilities are a bit of an excuse to be honest. Cost will definitely be an issue for some people, especially in the current climate, but I feel there are other factors that are probably having a bigger impact. For me they would be :

Poor atmosphere.

Poor football/entertainment.

Poor results.

Failsworth move.

Unappetizing fixtures - as BigFin describes in the other thread ; Bournmouth, Yeovil, Leyton Orient, Exeter, Brighton, MK Dons ... we could go on and on. These are simply unattractive fixtures to those of us who it seems like only yesterday had big travelling armies of Stoke, Burnley, Sunderland, Birmingham, Wolves, Sheff Utd turning up what seemed like every other week, and that's without mentioning the Div 1/Prem Years.

How about selling off season tickets for the rest of this season at a massively discounted price (say £150) to anybody who signs up to buy one at full price for next season. I know a lot off season tickets holders would not be happy because we have had to pay full price but at the end of the day its the survival of the club that is most impotant.

As for the atmospherei think that the ground only having 3 sides plays a big part, its to open. could they not have some type of advertising boards put up there to make it more enclosed? also the chaddy end was really the only place with much of an atmosphere but since home fans have been able to sit in the RRE there as been little or no atmosphere. Would it be worth just using the RRE for away fans? it would save a bit of money as well.

How about selling off season tickets for the rest of this season at a massively discounted price (say £150) to anybody who signs up to buy one at full price for next season. I know a lot off season tickets holders would not be happy because we have had to pay full price but at the end of the day its the survival of the club that is most impotant.

As for the atmospherei think that the ground only having 3 sides plays a big part, its to open. could they not have some type of advertising boards put up there to make it more enclosed? also the chaddy end was really the only place with much of an atmosphere but since home fans have been able to sit in the RRE there as been little or no atmosphere. Would it be worth just using the RRE for away fans? it would save a bit of money as well.

how about making the chaddy for away fans only,so they get the :censored:ty view crap seats poor accoustics etc,and keep the home fans in the rre,newest stand better view better accoustics...make the small section the family part and the big end normal home end.

if people dont want to sing there not going to,saturday wasnt rip roaring but at least the drum tried to get things going,once we equalised it was pretty good.

st holders have had to pay full price??? so us pay on the dayers paying 20 quid a go havent???,if i go to every home game i have paid a damn site more than a season ticket holder,because i couldnt afford the lump sum up front.

nice idea real,but im sure the powers that be will knock it saying it wouldnt be worth it,we just have to face it that absolutely nothing will happen until failsworth is full steam ahead,built were there and playing,then you will get more incentives

------------------

reducing prices now won't work -

we will end up with the same crowds and less money.

The only way Latics will get bigger crowds is through the football on the pitch.

End of !!!!!!!!!!! :disappointed:

Now how thats achieved is another matter ??????????? :huh:

------------------

reducing prices now won't work -

we will end up with the same crowds and less money.

The only way Latics will get bigger crowds is through the football on the pitch.

End of !!!!!!!!!!! :disappointed:

Now how thats achieved is another matter ??????????? :huh:

I think it has been achieved to some extent, but the damage done by Penney will take a while to be fully 'repaired'. Despite it possibly being our poorest showing of the season, in the first 20 mins and last 15 we still played some very good football and Dickov showed he isn't afraid to go all out to turn a game round. I agree, dropping prices won't do much, but better advertising and raising awareness that the club is being turned around will help bring back a fair few of the deserters. Many stopped going last season and said they don't mind if we lose as long as we give it a good go, well, we are doing. Peterborough we lost 5-2 but played good football and with a bit of luck could have come away with a point or even all 3, Bournemouth we gambled at 1-0 down and turned it around. The football has improved no end and with an attacking mentality, so what's the excuse now for those who have decided to sit at home watching Jeff Steeling instead of getting their sorry asses down to BP?

Edited by LeylandLatic

The football has improved no end and with an attacking mentality

This sums up the season so far.

I do think the lapsed fan should return - unbeaten at home, in the play-off spots, good passing football and (without checking) only scoreless in one league game.

Boundary Park is the place to be on a Saturday afternoon.

Just go all in at the end of this month, season tickets £125 a piece, more money in the club!

Even after the loss of all the £20 single game admissions that this would cause between now and the end of the season? No chance.

I like the idea of the loyalty card. A lot of people can't afford the one-off large payment for an ST but still want to go to games. Yet more people aren't allowed STs by their missuses, because that would mean football every other week rather than shopping or decorating. Some people just don't have the time to make the ST worth while.

Anyone know of any similar schemes in other clubs?

Guest Scratch2000uk

Payment plans that are more palatable to the less affluent amongst us ( me, for one ) maybe something like a quarterly charge, monthly debit or buy half a season ticket then pay a few quid at the gate on match days.??

Kids free up to a certain age ( i'd say 16 ), encourage them into buying merchandise. :grin:

how about making the chaddy for away fans only,so they get the :censored:ty view crap seats poor accoustics etc,and keep the home fans in the rre,newest stand better view better accoustics...make the small section the family part and the big end normal home end.

if people dont want to sing there not going to,saturday wasnt rip roaring but at least the drum tried to get things going,once we equalised it was pretty good.

st holders have had to pay full price??? so us pay on the dayers paying 20 quid a go havent???,if i go to every home game i have paid a damn site more than a season ticket holder,because i couldnt afford the lump sum up front.

nice idea real,but im sure the powers that be will knock it saying it wouldnt be worth it,we just have to face it that absolutely nothing will happen until failsworth is full steam ahead,built were there and playing,then you will get more incentives

It was suggested a few years ago (not sure if it was just on here or not) about moving away fans to the chaddy end but a lot of chaddy enders didnt like the idea but it seems a lot have moved there now so maybe views will be different.

I know it would cost more to attend every game paying on the day. I meant that some ST holders would complain at paying £280 for there ticket then them being sold of a lot cheaper after just 4 home games.

I remember when i was in school and every now and then we would get free tickets handed out for games. I think this should happen a lot more because kids are more likely to come if they have a ticket in there hand than just reading in the paper thats its free in.

Just go all in at the end of this month, season tickets £125 a piece, more money in the club!

That would be nothing short of business suicide, for the following reasons

1) The club could not cope with the drop in revenue that they would get.

2) You would severely piss off the 2000 season ticket holders who paid full price in may/june. When it comes to renewal at the end of this season, as a season ticket holder I sure as hell would not renew for £300 if I thought there was a chance I could get a season ticket for £125, and I would be severely pissed off with the club if they did having paid nearly £300 for mine in June.

After last season, Latics can not afford to piss off their loyal supporters any more.

In reply to Real's post, this is something that The Trust have been doing for some considerable time. Although I would like to point out the following

1) At the end of the day, we can only put ideas forward. It is down to OAFC whether they want to take them on board or not.

2) The club pay a sales and marketing manager good money to come up with ideas such as the one Real has come up with. Whilst we would be perfectly happy to work alongside the sales and marketing director, they are being paid to come up with these types of offers, hence the responsibility for this ultimately falls with them in my opinion.

With regards to offers for tickets, I think the time has come for the club to think long term, and in my opinion any such offers or schemes need to be

1) Permanent

2) Reward loyalty.

3) Get as many kids through the door as possible

4) Must increase revenue in the long term without substantially decreasing it in the short term

what are the rules on clubs betting on themselves to be promoted? Could we offer a deal on ST's where if we get promoted you recieve a free ST the following season. we are currently 16/1 at coral to be promoted, i think it was 33/1 at the start of the season. If the club was to put £10 at the start of the season from each season ticket sale on us to be promoted it would cover the cost of a ST the following season if we did.

If that was done for all 2000 ST's sold this season the club would be £20,000 out of pocket so would need to sell an extra 75 ST's to make up that money which i think could easily be done.

I would imagine the football league might not allow us to place money on ourselves getting promoted if they dont wouldnt would there be any way round it?

maybe the trust could buy the tickets and do the offer for members.

Edited by stevesmitt

How about offering 3 or 5 year Season Tickets .

Those that could afford them would help finance the club now to perhaps invest in new players in the hope that future crowds will increase therefore offsetting those in future years who have already paid.

Worth a go??

Edited by losesome

Those that could afford them would help finance the club now to perhaps invest in new players in the hope that future crowds will increase therefore offsetting those in future years who have already paid.

Worth a go??

If we took the money for 5 year season tickets now and invested it and the crowds didnt improve we would have very little income to support the club for the next 5 years which would leave us in a really bad position plus dont think many people would part with almost £1500 not knowing if the club will still be here then.

If we took the money for 5 year season tickets now and invested it and the crowds didnt improve we would have very little income to support the club for the next 5 years which would leave us in a really bad position plus dont think many people would part with almost £1500 not knowing if the club will still be here then.

Thats the gamble you take ,

If we carry on as we are and crowds don't pick up then we are in trouble anyway.

At least this way it would carry us through to the new ground being up and running therefore giving us more chance of increasing gates then.

I would buy one given the chance and i am sure a few others would .

Thats the gamble you take ,

If we carry on as we are and crowds don't pick up then we are in trouble anyway.

At least this way it would carry us through to the new ground being up and running therefore giving us more chance of increasing gates then.

I would buy one given the chance and i am sure a few others would .

I wouldn't buy it.

The risk of losing a large amount of money if the club folded is too great.

I wouldn't buy it.

The risk of losing a large amount of money if the club folded is too great.

I appreciate your position , but i would and i am sure that given some incentive that others would as well.

Rugby clubs do it and i think some cricket clubs do as well.

Worth a go??

Not in this financial climate

If people are struggling to pay the £300 for a season ticket in one go this year, or the £20 on the door (which is likely to go up imo given the VAT rise in January), then how are they going to find the 900/1500 pounds for a three or five year ticket?

Not in this financial climate

If people are struggling to pay the £300 for a season ticket in one go this year, or the £20 on the door (which is likely to go up imo given the VAT rise in January), then how are they going to find the 900/1500 pounds for a three or five year ticket?

i appreciate that but not everybody is struggling.

Some would pay and it could be worth the club looking into it.

i appreciate that but not everybody is struggling.

Some would pay and it could be worth the club looking into it.

Keep the ideas coming.

If there is a market for it (and the club can trust themselves not to screw future cash flow with it) then they should do it.

I still think there's a bigger challenge in getting people to attend two consecutive games, let alone 230.

A few of us southern fairies had a chat about how little money we give to the club. We pay a fair bit to get drunk and travel to games and then give various cockney clubs money to watch Oldham.

Is any of the gate money from league games redistributed? If it isn't, it should be. Plus it would be nice if the club could work out a way of getting wealthy exiles' money. That doesn't include me, incidentally.

A few of us southern fairies had a chat about how little money we give to the club. We pay a fair bit to get drunk and travel to games and then give various cockney clubs money to watch Oldham.

Is any of the gate money from league games redistributed? If it isn't, it should be. Plus it would be nice if the club could work out a way of getting wealthy exiles' money. That doesn't include me, incidentally.

Up until the late 80s it was, that's pretty much what the breakaway Premier League was about. The big 5 back then, Liverpool, Man Utd, Everton, Tottenham and Arsenal argued the toss against sharing gate money from league games. The rule used to be that each got got a percentage from EVERY fixture home or away and of course the FL got a cut too.