Child Benefit

oafc0000

Well you don't really need me to answer that do you ?

I am just trying to show our benefit structure isn't just about supporting the poor...or poorer...

Actually I do need you to answer that. It will make your point. I don't think you have made an appropriate example of showing how our benefit structure isn't just about supporting the poor...or poorer...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually I do need you to answer that. It will make your point. I don't think you have made an appropriate example of showing how our benefit structure isn't just about supporting the poor...or poorer...

Child Benefit is going from 2013...

The NHS is a universal benefit... It isn't just for the poor... It is for all of us...

OK then, I'll explain...

A view point that is often forgotten is...

For something to be forgotten, it has to be know about in the first place.

Myself personally have been paying into the system since I was 16...

That isn't a viewpoint, it is just your own personal business, which nobody but you and yours need to know or care about.

Child Benefit is going from 2013...

The NHS is a universal benefit... It isn't just for the poor... It is for all of us...

And National Insurance contributions cover that......which some people are exempt from paying. Have you considered the timeline for the child benefit change? Potentially on the run up to an election.

And National Insurance contributions cover that......which some people are exempt from paying. Have you considered the timeline for the child benefit change? Potentially on the run up to an election.

if you want me to take a guess I don't think, in the end, it will happen as it is so badly thought out...

So its wrong to give personal examples during debates ? and if you do, you hold a high opinion of yourself ?

I don't think that is true... We all have personal experiences and opinions we want to share...

Very true. It's just that with you, your opinions become the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And I know I'm not the first person to have said that to you on here...

Very true. It's just that with you, your opinions become the whole truth and nothing but the truth. And I know I'm not the first person to have said that to you on here...

Why would you hold an opinion unless I thought it to be true ?

I am more than prepared to change my opinion if it is proven wrong...

Stop being silly...

From memory, I think only a percentage of NI contributions go on the NHS.

Anyway, there's a fight starting on this thread and it's based partly on a misunderstanding of the system. I don't pay tax and national insurance now so that I get unemployment and housing benefit in a couple of years when I get cut. What I pay now goes out now. I am paying for today's unemployed - hopefully there'll be a reciprocal arrangement when the time comes.

Anyway, there's a fight starting on this thread and it's based partly on a misunderstanding of the system. I don't pay tax and national insurance now so that I get unemployment and housing benefit in a couple of years when I get cut. What I pay now goes out now. I am paying for today's unemployed - hopefully there'll be a reciprocal arrangement when the time comes.

Reasonable point...

I suppose that is why the state pension is dying on its arse... Ageing population etc...

Sorry I was throwing a blanket over it. Pensions and some other things are also covered by N.I. payments. I for one will not be holding my breath for my pension (should I make it that far).

:shock:

So basically if a woman leaves an abusive husband or is widowed, she gets punished by the tax system. You like this?

Of course not :) I like the fact I will save £150 on our tax bill :) £300 if they extend it to higher rate earners... :)

I like the general principle that marriage is supported in the tax system... Its not a punishment if you don't get it... Thats a crap way at looking at it IMO...

Edited by oafc0000

Of course not :) I like the fact I will save £150 on our tax bill :) £300 if they extend it to higher rate earners... :)

Thats a crap way at looking at it IMO...

Crap it may be, but it's true.

Its not a punishment if you don't get it...

Oh yes it is. I'm deeply sorry about the death of your husband/wife Mr/Mrs Smith, but cough up.

You did the right thing, Mrs Smith. Mr Smith was a rotter and you can take only so many black eyes, but cough up.

What makes married people so special anyhow?

Guest Scratch2000uk
I find it weird the idea of two people commenting to each other is so offensive to so many people... I think it is a healthy thing, specially when children are involved...

It's not offensive, it's discrimination. :shock:

Guest Scratch2000uk
Oh you are on about the actual payment and not marriage in general...

Its a fair point of view I suppose, I still think promoting marriage is a good thing...

Indeed, i was. :tongue1:

I have no problem with people getting married or having civil partnerships, but it's disciminatory :wink:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

I still think promoting marriage is a good thing...

Do you think they'll go for a billboard campaign? Maybe they'll have a Faceache group or some radio spots as well.

Marriage doesn't need promoting. Many people just do it. So many people, in fact, that you have to conclude that it ain't that special.

Do you think they'll go for a billboard campaign? Maybe they'll have a Faceache group or some radio spots as well.

Marriage doesn't need promoting. Many people just do it. So many people, in fact, that you have to conclude that it ain't that special.

Really? I think my marriage is pretty special. Lots of others think there's is too I'd imagine.

Really? I think my marriage is pretty special. Lots of others think there's is too I'd imagine.

I'm sure it's very special for you, and for Mrs Danoafc. Congratulations.

Today I drove to the supermarket and because my girlfriend is away, I bought all the things she disapproves of, including cheesecake, which I love. It was a special trip. To the supermarket. Can I have a tax break?

On Sunday I got to the train station on time and read the paper during the journey. I really enjoyed it. It was special. Loads of other people thought so too. Do we get a tax break?

I'm just saying that marriage is quite common - and therefore, relatively speaking, not a great achievement. I don't see why it should yield tax breaks. No disrespect to you and Mrs Danoafc.

I'm sure it's very special for you, and for Mrs Danoafc. Congratulations.

Today I drove to the supermarket and because my girlfriend is away, I bought all the things she disapproves of, including cheesecake, which I love. It was a special trip. To the supermarket. Can I have a tax break?

On Sunday I got to the train station on time and read the paper during the journey. I really enjoyed it. It was special. Loads of other people thought so too. Do we get a tax break?

I'm just saying that marriage is quite common - and therefore, relatively speaking, not a great achievement. I don't see why it should yield tax breaks. No disrespect to you and Mrs Danoafc.

No, I get what you mean, perhaps I should have addedd a funny face smiley? Like so. :wink:

On a more serious note, I think perhaps it's not the 'marriage thing' that should attract the tax break - I think that's a hangover from the married couples allowance which was brought in I'd imagine when it was actually possible for one of the couple to actually stay at home and be mum. Or dad of course. I don't know that for sure but it would make sense if that was the reason it was originally introduced.

I'd hope the incentives are more likely to be to promote the stable family unit and perhaps discourage the 'have babies for benefits' generation. Perhaps the tax breaks need to be somehow tied in to the reduction/removal of child benefits.