Matchday experience

Here's what you do.

1.You get sponsorship from a local travel agents (up to you how much you squeeze out of them). You then host 'Who wants to be an Indonesian Millionaire?' on the pitch at half time of however many games the travel agents want to pay for. The winner wins a million Indonesian Rupiah (about £70).

2.Have a full 11 a side game played by midgets at half time

3. Have a dunk tank set up on a podium in the middle of the pitch. Sell lottery tickets for who gets to kick the football's at the target that, if hit, will plunge Alan Hardy into the gunk.

4. Invite the absolute worst competitors from the first week of the X-Factor, you know the ones - the ones that might actually be mentally ill but think they have a god given talent - and have them perform for the fans.

5. Have a game where every paying attendee is put into a draw. Whoever wins the draw is registered as a player and comes on as a very late substitute in our next JPT game.

6. Elvis Day. Free Elvis Quiffs style hats for the first 500 people to arrive (get this sponsored). Elvis theme to the day.

7. Have anything in the ground named after anyone. Pay £50 and have a plaque made up with your name on it. Then have that placed on anything you fancy in the ground - a turnstile, Alan Hardy, a stand, a floodlight pylon - and have it announced over the tannoy

8. Competition at half time, winner has the Latics groundstaff come round and do their garden.

9. WWF style wrestling

10. Have scantily clad young ladies drive around the pitch on a golf cart firing cheap Latics T-Shirts into the crowd.

11. Put 2 really really comfy leather recliner armchairs by the side of the home dugout. Have waitress service to them. Randomly pick a couple from somewhere in the ground before kick off to sit in them (if they have just purchased an item - pie/pint etc)

12. Martial Arts Day. Demonstrations etc etc

13. OAP Day. Free cup of tea for any pensioner and then a giant game of bingo at half time (card comes with programme)

14. Salute to the Paper Airplane day. Sheet of paper comes with programme. You write your name on it and then at half time whoever gets one from the crowd onto the centre circle wins a VIP day with the club.

15. Mustache growing contest. Fans turn up for a game clean shaven, pay a £5, get their photo taken. A month later at another home game the same fans return and whoever has biggest beard wins the pot.

16. Do a 'Price is Right' night, with fans being picked by spotlight who then have to come out on the pitch and do a Price is Right style game.

17. Worlds Fastest Fat Man Contest. Fans over 20 stone are invited to don only a pair of comedy large y fronts and then race each other around the pitch. Winner wins a months supply of pies (sponsored)

18. Dodgy Christmas Jumper Day. At the Boxing Day game against Carlisle people are asked to turn up in the most hideous jumper imaginable (supposedly given as Xmas gift). Winner wins something or other. A nice jumper maybe.

19. Boxing match after a game between an ex-Latic player and an ex-somebody we dont like player. Say it's for charidee

20. Get a couple of lads who are doing community service, let them run for half the length of the pitch and then release a police dog. Whichever one the dog brings down before he can get to the other end of the field has to clean the mens toilets after the game.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get it Macca, if the young supporters what to try and raise the roof with chanting and a little verbal sparing wirh the away supporters what exactly is the problem? I for one think that it is great and should be embraced, not subdued by the stewards!!

I don't have a problem with chanting, it's not a little verbal sparing though, seems like they spend more time abusing the opposition and our own players than getting behind the team. It's cringeworthy and stopped me going to games for a while.

I think you should be allowed to stand as well but you can't and stewards have to do their job.

I don't have a problem with chanting, it's not a little verbal sparing though, seems like they spend more time abusing the opposition and our own players than getting behind the team. It's cringeworthy and stopped me going to games for a while.

I think you should be allowed to stand as well but you can't and stewards have to do their job.

standing briefly to start a chant is acceptable and should not be a problem imo.

Tell you what I noticed on saturday regarding the crowd. Songs. Come on Oldham, Oh When The Blues and one other that i couldnt catch. That was it!!!!???? What happened to Walking Down Sheepfoot Lane or He's Only A Poor Little Cockney? Where have all the old classics gone?

standing briefly to start a chant is acceptable and should not be a problem imo.

I agree but I don't think they just stand briefly.

Anyways back to matchday experience I don't want to be hijacking the thread. Anymore good ideas to improve the matchday experience?

How about some 5 aside games, and not just for kids, could be pubs, workplaces, mates, etc. If you do 5 aside and its for kids only can we see if we can include non Oldham schools, I'm sure a few children in what's technically Dale (or beyond) would LOVE a chance to play on our pitch.

Actually the beer thing in the chaddy (I know this is not the community zone's remit but people on the board read this) how many games are the exec boxes not actually booked enough for both to be needed. Why not open up the communal dining area for those people in the Chaddy, (who maybe have to pay to go in) and then use the bar in there. I KNOW the Lookers one has a fire escape to the Chaddy. OK it doesn't have Sky but there's often something good to watch on terrestial TV (I spent the second half of that Cardiff game watching the rugby league Challenge cup). An empty bar makes no profit.

Edited by rudemedic

I agree but I don't think they just stand briefly.

Anyways back to matchday experience I don't want to be hijacking the thread. Anymore good ideas to improve the matchday experience?

well let them stand for longer - who cares - its better than sitting in silence and waiting to be entertained that the majority of our fans do. Besides people know where this happens and should be able to find a seat in another part of the stadium where there is a no chanting policy. Get my drift ;)

And whats the obsession with anti Man U songs? Dont get me wrong i'm no fan of them myself but maybe if we sang songs about our own team it might be a start?

whatever happens, we should really try not to sing the 'we hate man u and city too' song when the city fans are let in for half price. that would turn them away/start a problem.

but to make things better, some half time or pre match entertainment. crossbar challenge, penalty shootout, kids match etc.

also things that have been said like, if you buy a pie, you win a shirt, or everyones entered into a draw, competition before the match and you win a shirt, free tickets to the next match.

Here's what you do.

1.You get sponsorship from a local travel agents (up to you how much you squeeze out of them). You then host 'Who wants to be an Indonesian Millionaire?' on the pitch at half time of however many games the travel agents want to pay for. The winner wins a million Indonesian Rupiah (about £70).

2.Have a full 11 a side game played by midgets at half time

3. Have a dunk tank set up on a podium in the middle of the pitch. Sell lottery tickets for who gets to kick the football's at the target that, if hit, will plunge Alan Hardy into the gunk.

4. Invite the absolute worst competitors from the first week of the X-Factor, you know the ones - the ones that might actually be mentally ill but think they have a god given talent - and have them perform for the fans.

5. Have a game where every paying attendee is put into a draw. Whoever wins the draw is registered as a player and comes on as a very late substitute in our next JPT game.

6. Elvis Day. Free Elvis Quiffs style hats for the first 500 people to arrive (get this sponsored). Elvis theme to the day.

7. Have anything in the ground named after anyone. Pay £50 and have a plaque made up with your name on it. Then have that placed on anything you fancy in the ground - a turnstile, Alan Hardy, a stand, a floodlight pylon - and have it announced over the tannoy

8. Competition at half time, winner has the Latics groundstaff come round and do their garden.

9. WWF style wrestling

10. Have scantily clad young ladies drive around the pitch on a golf cart firing cheap Latics T-Shirts into the crowd.

11. Put 2 really really comfy leather recliner armchairs by the side of the home dugout. Have waitress service to them. Randomly pick a couple from somewhere in the ground before kick off to sit in them (if they have just purchased an item - pie/pint etc)

12. Martial Arts Day. Demonstrations etc etc

13. OAP Day. Free cup of tea for any pensioner and then a giant game of bingo at half time (card comes with programme)

14. Salute to the Paper Airplane day. Sheet of paper comes with programme. You write your name on it and then at half time whoever gets one from the crowd onto the centre circle wins a VIP day with the club.

15. Mustache growing contest. Fans turn up for a game clean shaven, pay a £5, get their photo taken. A month later at another home game the same fans return and whoever has biggest beard wins the pot.

16. Do a 'Price is Right' night, with fans being picked by spotlight who then have to come out on the pitch and do a Price is Right style game.

17. Worlds Fastest Fat Man Contest. Fans over 20 stone are invited to don only a pair of comedy large y fronts and then race each other around the pitch. Winner wins a months supply of pies (sponsored)

18. Dodgy Christmas Jumper Day. At the Boxing Day game against Carlisle people are asked to turn up in the most hideous jumper imaginable (supposedly given as Xmas gift). Winner wins something or other. A nice jumper maybe.

19. Boxing match after a game between an ex-Latic player and an ex-somebody we dont like player. Say it's for charidee

20. Get a couple of lads who are doing community service, let them run for half the length of the pitch and then release a police dog. Whichever one the dog brings down before he can get to the other end of the field has to clean the mens toilets after the game.

Good suggestions - some of 'em anyway.

I've got one. I've said this before. Let people smoke outside the stands. Other clubs do it, so why can't we?

Here's a dream, but it's one I've long cherished. Let fans have a beer in the stadium, like what the egg-chasing fraternity are allowed to do. It's one rule for the poshos and one for football fans. Scandal. Pure hatred. I know it's a blanket football ban but anyway.

Here's what you do.

Brilliant!!!! And the TV would pick up on it straight away, would make good publicity!!!!

definatly get the six a side back. maybe crossbar challange or a slight variation. is it bradford or burnley or someone like that have an inflatable and the fans have to kick balls through the whole. give 5 fans 30 seconds winner goes onto leader board and then start put people on the leaderboard before having the final at last home game and the winner gets a free shirt for the following season. bit of entertainment with a decent yet relatively low cost prize

I agree great idea but it would be a health and safety risk as the fans in question might get hit in the face by the ball and cclaim for damages :blink:

They would be no more at risk than those sat in the front row of the paddock. Besides, would just have to get them to sign a disclaimer..... Or put the chairs in the back of the net, should be safe enough there.......

I agree great idea but it would be a health and safety risk as the fans in question might get hit in the face by the ball and cclaim for damages :blink:

Great idea. I think it should be on the other side of the pitch though on the lookers... Just stick a three seater sofa in the middle and have the whole side of the pitch to yourself

Haven't got tine today to sift through the whole thread so apologies if this has been said....

We need to keep the kids occupied before and at half time (or if the games crap during too). How about painting the floor behind the back of the nets with old school type games, hopscotch, snakes and ladders etc. They are always kicking the empty plastic bottles about.

Paint the exit gates too with a goal, give them a sponge ball and get them shooting at it.

Haven't got tine today to sift through the whole thread so apologies if this has been said....

We need to keep the kids occupied before and at half time (or if the games crap during too). How about painting the floor behind the back of the nets with old school type games, hopscotch, snakes and ladders etc. They are always kicking the empty plastic bottles about.

Paint the exit gates too with a goal, give them a sponge ball and get them shooting at it.

A game of "kick the plastic bottle and knock over the steward" is more fun!

I already have, the problems are still there though.

where ya moved too???? you was 5 rows behind me the other match,nowhere near the chavs antagonising the away fans....no problems there....

you will always have rivalry with away fans since time began,you wont ever stop it...however if the stewards and the chavs are really having problems then its dead easy..make the chaddy end the away end....make the small section of the rre the family bit....and the rest for home fans...end of problem....

the concensus seems to be the six a side games and the crossbar challenge,either for a season ticket or a signed shirt and photo from player of your choice....

actually change the microphone used at half time or the speakers,because you cant understand a word at times what is being said,just muffled....

Good suggestions - some of 'em anyway.

I've got one. I've said this before. Let people smoke outside the stands. Other clubs do it, so why can't we?

Here's a dream, but it's one I've long cherished. Let fans have a beer in the stadium, like what the egg-chasing fraternity are allowed to do. It's one rule for the poshos and one for football fans. Scandal. Pure hatred. I know it's a blanket football ban but anyway.

this is the best idea of the lot

it would add loads to the gate

it would make the club loads of money too - i'd get in the ground earlier if I could sit in my seat and have a drink rather than leave the pub at 2.50

the atmosphere would be miles better

unfortuantley it'll probably never happen