Where do Latics Fans Live?

Where do Latics fans live?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Where do you live in the Oldham borough?

• Chadderton
    • Failsworth
    • Lees
    • Oldham (town)
    • Royton
    • Saddleworth
    • Shaw/Crompton
    • Outside the Oldham borough

Bit of an old chestnut this, is it not?. But for the record I have watched MY team for over fifty years, and I live, breath, and love Oldham Athletic football club, and could not imagine my life without "Latics".When I read on here that people say that they will not watch Latics in Failsworth, or they wont go because they cant buy a pie at half time, or object to opposition fans being given certain seats, I could weep. It appears that your modern day human has no regard to loyalty, not just to his local football club, but to anything in their lives. But my can they moan. There are lots of people who like myself love Oldham Athletic, who are pulling their guts out to make things better for all of us, would it be to much to ask for people to praise, encourage, and support the club. A move to Failsworth will put 6 more miles on my journey to and from a home match, but so what, my passion still burns bright for my team and I fully expect that to continue to my last breath, wherever we play.

Top post that one agree 100%

It's about 10 miles nearer for us from Warwickshire MORE DRINKING TIME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We haven't even got the marketing right in the town, I think it would be a waste of money to jump straight to marketing outside of Oldham. If we market the club properly in the town and raise awareness then some of the apathy we're all well aware of could subside. I mentioned in another thread recently how near where I live in Leeds (10-15 min drive from Elland Road) they have huge advertising boards that LUFC and Rhinos regularly use for publicising up coming games/offers they are running. I've not been into Oldham town centre than many times in all honesty, I've never lived there and the family I have that are still in the area live in Rochdale, but on the few occasions i've passed through I've never seen ANY mention of OAFC which is quite frankly appalling.

This poll is useful but also quite misleading as well. The number living outside the borough is around 50% but does this not simply coincide with our ageing fanbase? I'm sure the vast majority of this 50% lived in Oldham at one time or another, likely in their youth. I think it fits fairly well that we have very few young supporters (those most liekly to still live in the area) coming through to 'replace' (for want of a better word) the older generation. We have to get the marketing right in the borough, 'outsiders' should not be the primary target because unlike those in the borough they have no immediate connection with the club and the team. Let's not forget Oldham has a popullation well capable of sustaining this club even in the championship, so why not make the most of that? The people of Oldham are an easier audience to capture than those from the areas surrounding scum trafford or COMS or even 'neutral' areas.

Good Post

It does make you wonder how much does it cost to put up any posters on billboards around town and imparticular around Boundary Park their must be a reason why we haven't made use of the one at the top of sheepfoot lane.

Good Post

It does make you wonder how much does it cost to put up any posters on billboards around town and imparticular around Boundary Park their must be a reason why we haven't made use of the one at the top of sheepfoot lane.

Its about £1k for one of those road side billboard I think... Remember looking into the prices a while back.

Bit of an old chestnut this, is it not?. But for the record I have watched MY team for over fifty years, and I live, breath, and love Oldham Athletic football club, and could not imagine my life without "Latics".When I read on here that people say that they will not watch Latics in Failsworth, or they wont go because they cant buy a pie at half time, or object to opposition fans being given certain seats, I could weep. It appears that your modern day human has no regard to loyalty, not just to his local football club, but to anything in their lives. But my can they moan. There are lots of people who like myself love Oldham Athletic, who are pulling their guts out to make things better for all of us, would it be to much to ask for people to praise, encourage, and support the club. A move to Failsworth will put 6 more miles on my journey to and from a home match, but so what, my passion still burns bright for my team and I fully expect that to continue to my last breath, wherever we play.

:applause1:

SOME fans moan about players wages etc, but then they themselves moan about anything for an excuse for why they are not going.

If fans stop going for them reasons then what sort of a 'fan' are you?

Amen brother. Those who claim they will not go to Failsworth make me want to puke my guts out.

The very worst kind of spineless, cretinous, expectant 'supporter' there is.

I hope they are all happy with their ESPN HD packages and empty lives should we move to Failsworth and they stick to their guns about not going.

They're not Oldham fans. F*ck em.

Woof.

:lol:

Bit strong innit?

We haven't even got the marketing right in the town, I think it would be a waste of money to jump straight to marketing outside of Oldham. If we market the club properly in the town and raise awareness then some of the apathy we're all well aware of could subside. I mentioned in another thread recently how near where I live in Leeds (10-15 min drive from Elland Road) they have huge advertising boards that LUFC and Rhinos regularly use for publicising up coming games/offers they are running. I've not been into Oldham town centre than many times in all honesty, I've never lived there and the family I have that are still in the area live in Rochdale, but on the few occasions i've passed through I've never seen ANY mention of OAFC which is quite frankly appalling.

This poll is useful but also quite misleading as well. The number living outside the borough is around 50% but does this not simply coincide with our ageing fanbase? I'm sure the vast majority of this 50% lived in Oldham at one time or another, likely in their youth. I think it fits fairly well that we have very few young supporters (those most liekly to still live in the area) coming through to 'replace' (for want of a better word) the older generation. We have to get the marketing right in the borough, 'outsiders' should not be the primary target because unlike those in the borough they have no immediate connection with the club and the team. Let's not forget Oldham has a popullation well capable of sustaining this club even in the championship, so why not make the most of that? The people of Oldham are an easier audience to capture than those from the areas surrounding scum trafford or COMS or even 'neutral' areas.

Agree with you on this. There are not many young people at boundary park. They need to do something to change this. I am sure we are not the only club facing these problems. Rochdale have only just been promoted but they are only getting 3,000 crowds. Its difficult to get people to come to boundary park instead of watching world class teams like city and united on the tele.

Middleton! and i couldnt give a toss where the blues play - i still be in the stands !

Eccles born and bred, now Worsley. It's a fair treck anyhow so Failsworth won't make too much difference, although i'd rather we stayed at BP for sentimental reasons. Although, like Chaddylad02 says above, no matter where they moved to, i'd be there...

So we only need an extra 50 people to see it and attend for it to effectively pay for itself?

Yeah, about that... Obviously it all varies on location and how long you want to run a add... I think the average was 1k a week and the price depends on how many people drive past the sign on average.

Said this before and got shot down... but marketing is one of the easiest jobs in the world... its 99% common sense...

Edited by oafc0000

Yeah, about that... Obviously it all varies on location and how long you want to run a add... I think the average was 1k a week and the price depends on how many people drive past the sign on average.

Said this before and got shot down... but marketing is one of the easiest jobs in the world... its 99% common sense...

As SC seems to be saying he isn't going to be putting any more money into the club and his contribution will be purely to cover the expenses (I don't blame him for this btw), could the trust step forward to market the club or would SC be willing to put some more cash forward? It seems in terms of marketing we do VERY little in terms of 'speculating to accumulate'. Like GlossopLatic has said potentially an advertisement in the town centre would only need to attract 50 more people to a game to become viable, hardly an insurmountable figure. Maybe a game like Plymouth at home isn't the game to push this on, but when we hit one of the big home games we really need to try and get extra people in. The 'big game experience' with a bumper crowd and a real atmosphere about it is just the sort of thing that is likely to get people hooked again. We do far too many offers against poor opposition that come to BP to spoil the game and take a 0-0 or smash and grab victory, that sort of thing isn't gonna get people hungry for more. We need to look at our 'big games' and really push them.

Edit: I don't spell so good.

Edited by LeylandLatic

I'd rather the owner(s) spent their money on players than bloody billboards, poxy town centre stalls and the like.

We get national coverage on a weekly basis in the sports sections and back pages of many newspapers, and daily and weekly coverage in the Chron and M.E.N. At the moment, it doesn't amount to much that will whet the appetite of would-be attendees....start playing decent, goal-scoaring football and then reports/league tables will start generating interest for potential spectators.

The marketing starts on the pitch, people. Once the product is right you can start building on that and promoting it.

Edited by Yard Dog

Amen brother. Those who claim they will not go to Failsworth make me want to puke my guts out.

I hope they are all happy with their ESPN HD packages and empty lives should we move to Failsworth and they stick to their guns about not going.

Woof.

Cool rant bro.

Fu--in silly though.

Woof.

I agree. Fans should stick with the club through the good and bad times and support the club in every way. Ok, im not in HUGE favour of moving to failsworth. but if it has to be done then i will go and attend the games and get behind my club. I think we all know who are true supporters and who arn't. At least were doing our bit and supporting our local team rather than glory hunters who are from Oldham and support Man U or Man :censored:ty.

A possibly useful extra poll would be for those who live outside the borough to state where they originate from. I'm sure a lot of the non-Oldham residing folk on here are originally from there. Be interesting to see exactly how much a % somewhere like Royton generates of the total Latics support as opposed to the promised land (Failsworth that is, not Israel)

I'd rather the owner(s) spent their money on players than bloody billboards, poxy town centre stalls and the like.

We get national coverage on a weekly basis in the sports sections and back pages of many newspapers, and daily and weekly coverage in the Chron and M.E.N. At the moment, it doesn't amount to much that will whet the appetite of would-be attendees....start playing decent, goal-scoaring football and then reports/league tables will start generating interest for potential spectators.

The marketing starts on the pitch, people. Once the product is right you can start building on that and promoting it.

Got to say you are spot on Yard Dog.

As you are sying, it's not like the people of Oldham don't know Latics exist.

A good cup rin could do wonders too, and it seems like PD is shuffling the pack to make room for a player or two.

I did this (non scientific) poll to see broadly where the bulk of Latics fans lived, and whether it should have any impact on the proposed move to Failsworth. However, I’ve no idea whether OWTB members are similar to the rest of the Latics supporters? The places in the poll were based on the original creation of the Oldham Metropolitan Borough, namely the 5 towns of Oldham, Chadderton, Failsworth, Royton and Shaw, and the villages of Lees and Saddleworth.

I was surprised to see that over 50% lived outside of the Oldham borough, although I’m presuming the overwhelming majority of these originate from the town or borough? Looking at singe’s previous poll of last year, 9.78% lived in the Rochdale borough and 8.20% lived in the Tameside borough. Another way of looking at my poll is that just under 95% live outside of the town of Oldham, with Royton being the hotbed of Latics fans with just over 15%.

If, and I know it’s still a big if, Latics do eventually move to Failsworth then I’ll be there, although it will be further for me to travel. Like a lot of people I have a sentimental attachment to Boundary Park, and I still sit in the same area where my dad first took me to watch the tangerine and blues a very long time ago. My preferred option, of the various plans that have come and gone over the years, was the Sports Park 2000 plan. However, time marches on and I believe we have to move from our outdated and crumbling stadium if we are going to survive as a football league club.

One more statistic – according to the 2001 census the borough of Oldham had a population of 217,273. Just under 1.7% of this figure turned up to support Latics at Boundary Park on Saturday!

:ktf: