latics v plymouth

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

message to stayaways - watch the highlights on LP or the bbc website tomorrow and see what you're missing. and then come back.

even at 2-1 and 2-2, i was enjoying myself because it was such an entertaining game with both teams playing well.

i can't wait for the dale game now, they play better on big occasions and we should be on a high from yesterdays game and a decent run of form.

Few things,

1.) I didn't see the last goal as I'd left to gey my Accy ticket after doing an over-enthusiastic celebration for our 3rd (judging by the 5/6 people in front of me at the ticket office a few left before I did, I'm fairly certain a regular poster on here was one).

2.) Was I the only one thinking where is Gary MacDonald when you need him.

3.) Brill is not the person I'd blame initally for their 2nd, in some order I'd blame Dickov, then Hazell and Lee and then maybe Brill. We were beaten by one long-ball from their keeper (who showed in the 1st half how big a boot he has on him), because we were pushing on TOO much with almost the entire second half to go. Hazell and Lee were both out of position and BWP beat them for pace. Its not like we can say he was surprisingly quick, his surname's Wright-Phillips FFS. Brill left with a 1on1 then gets beat.

4.) Brill kepts us in the game quite a bit in the second half, but that is why we pay him money. He's not the worse keeper, but there's quite a few better than him at this level (or would be available at this level). He is however, a much better keeper than this time last year (where I think his confidence got shot a bit), and of the people who's contract runs out at the end of the season he'd be definately getting a new one.

5.) I'm not a big fan of sending offs for a professional foul in the penalty area as no matter what the level, footballer's should score more times from a penalty than from a one on one. Considering Tounkara was going away from play and possibly pulled their defender back earlier in the move I can see Plymouth being annoyed at that one, and credit to Reid for not moaning too much about it. Their second sending off, having seen it again on the FLS its a definate sending off for me, the player quite clearly leads with his elbow and moves his elbow towards Lewis (apparently Lewis' broke his nose).

6.) I've not been watching Latics for as long as quite a few on here but I can't remember an away player getting applauded off at BP. If we had BWP in our team (but I doubt we can afford him) we'd be getting promoted this season (on current form). I can understand why he was taken off, he was knackered, not surprisingly having done the running of 2 players for 50 minutes, and the bloke who he bought on although fairly useless going forward is a big bloke and I think he was worried about conceeding from set-plays.

7.) Credit to their number 5, who looked like he was playing with one leg at times. I think if that game had ended 11 v. 11 he'd have been taken off, and they would have won, which could be good for us as although they are currently in the relegation zone I can see them being there or thereabouts in May.

Finally, that was a game I actually enjoyed being in the main stand for, there was obviously some bloke who constantly moans over by the pie stand (RRE side) and someone nearby had the credit to start taking the mick quite a bit, with inappropriate negative comments. Having said that we really need to do something about the bar in there, its appalling. If I was a Citeh fan coming for yesterdays game I'd have been annoyed at that beyond measure as its quite frankly not even BSN level.

Yeah the appreciation for BWP's performance surprised me a little as we're normally a bloody tough lot to please.Nice to see the whole plymouth team getting acknowledged for a sterling effort too.

As has been said with a player of BWP's ilk in our side we'd be a serious dark horse for the play-offs IMO.

Few things,

1.) I didn't see the last goal as I'd left to gey my Accy ticket after doing an over-enthusiastic celebration for our 3rd (judging by the 5/6 people in front of me at the ticket office a few left before I did, I'm fairly certain a regular poster on here was one).

2.) Was I the only one thinking where is Gary MacDonald when you need him.

3.) Brill is not the person I'd blame initally for their 2nd, in some order I'd blame Dickov, then Hazell and Lee and then maybe Brill. We were beaten by one long-ball from their keeper (who showed in the 1st half how big a boot he has on him), because we were pushing on TOO much with almost the entire second half to go. Hazell and Lee were both out of position and BWP beat them for pace. Its not like we can say he was surprisingly quick, his surname's Wright-Phillips FFS. Brill left with a 1on1 then gets beat.

4.) Brill kepts us in the game quite a bit in the second half, but that is why we pay him money. He's not the worse keeper, but there's quite a few better than him at this level (or would be available at this level). He is however, a much better keeper than this time last year (where I think his confidence got shot a bit), and of the people who's contract runs out at the end of the season he'd be definately getting a new one.

5.) I'm not a big fan of sending offs for a professional foul in the penalty area as no matter what the level, footballer's should score more times from a penalty than from a one on one. Considering Tounkara was going away from play and possibly pulled their defender back earlier in the move I can see Plymouth being annoyed at that one, and credit to Reid for not moaning too much about it. Their second sending off, having seen it again on the FLS its a definate sending off for me, the player quite clearly leads with his elbow and moves his elbow towards Lewis (apparently Lewis' broke his nose).

6.) I've not been watching Latics for as long as quite a few on here but I can't remember an away player getting applauded off at BP. If we had BWP in our team (but I doubt we can afford him) we'd be getting promoted this season (on current form). I can understand why he was taken off, he was knackered, not surprisingly having done the running of 2 players for 50 minutes, and the bloke who he bought on although fairly useless going forward is a big bloke and I think he was worried about conceeding from set-plays.

7.) Credit to their number 5, who looked like he was playing with one leg at times. I think if that game had ended 11 v. 11 he'd have been taken off, and they would have won, which could be good for us as although they are currently in the relegation zone I can see them being there or thereabouts in May.

Finally, that was a game I actually enjoyed being in the main stand for, there was obviously some bloke who constantly moans over by the pie stand (RRE side) and someone nearby had the credit to start taking the mick quite a bit, with inappropriate negative comments. Having said that we really need to do something about the bar in there, its appalling. If I was a Citeh fan coming for yesterdays game I'd have been annoyed at that beyond measure as its quite frankly not even BSN level.

Hazell just needs to buy some studs.

Isn't penalty same as one on one? :wink:

And we almost got BWP last year, but Plymouth got injuries to a few strikers so they pulled the plug on the deal at the last minute.

Yeah the appreciation for BWP's performance surprised me a little as we're normally a bloody tough lot to please.Nice to see the whole plymouth team getting acknowledged for a sterling effort too.

As has been said with a player of BWP's ilk in our side we'd be a serious dark horse for the play-offs IMO.

definatley agree with that. said at the time i dont remember ever applauding an away team off the pitch but to be fair all 9 of them deserved it they put everything in to trying to get a point for there team and probably deserved a point at least but good to see us acknoledge them.

as for BWP i think they would probably have won had he stayed on the pitch. and what a shame we dint get him last season. might be right but im sure he was out of contract in the summer an earned a new one in the lat few months when he was ment to be with us. if he had a succesful loan we could have signed him and have a 20+ goal a season striker with pace power and a finish

Great save at 2-2 we would have crucified our strikers for missing but great save. Tonk has the potential to be awesome its early days for a young lad. Kellys goal will also make a big difference to confidence. Only real concern is Feeney unless he gets his act together he is going to be left behind in every respect.

i think people are forgetting mvoto's cracking challange after the brill save....also saved a definate goal!

Rather bizarrely, a Geordie friend of mine sent me a text at 3 minutes to 5 saying only, "Jean Yves Mvoto has a foot long cock." I wouldn't subscribe to any form of racial steriotyping but he might be right. Big John has the making of a cult hero anyway.

Mvoto's got a massive cock le Jean Le Jean

He tucks it in his football sock Le Jean Le Jean

He shagged a girl and now shes dead

he swings his cock around his head

Jean Yves Mvoto Oldhams sex machine.

Yeah he was timewasting...who wouldn't...but thought it was a tad unfair he got booked after a fan from the Chaddy flung the ball quite a distance past him.

E4e

HEYHO

Agree about the fan who threw the ball, in fact I chastised him for what I thought would lead to more time-wasting retrieving the ball. Mind you, if the keeper had dived to his side he could have caught the ball when flung. :grin:

Few things,

I did exactly the same. Got to the ticket office and there was about 15 people in front of me.

I was surprised at the applause when he got subbed, i assumed it must have been the hordes of City fans showing their appreciation for one of their old players. :wink: Nice to see though. Bit of an odd decision to take him off but he was probably knackered.

I did exactly the same. Got to the ticket office and there was about 15 people in front of me.

Well I was sat above the ticket office so didn't have far to go. I left the queue though to get one in the shop, definately a good decision, but it looked dodgy for about 30 seconds.

"FORMER Leeds United and Cardiff City chairman Peter Ridsdale saw Argyle play for the second successive Saturday.

Ridsdale was a guest of the Pilgrims' board of directors for the 2-1 win against Huddersfield Town at Home Park.

According to Argyle executive director Keith Todd, Ridsdale was on holiday in the West Country and not being lined up for a role with the cash-strapped club.

But speculation about a possible involvement for Ridsdale with Argyle was further fuelled when he was spotted by supporters before the game against Oldham.

However, this time, Ridsdale was a guest of Oldham's board of directors.

Todd, when asked about the presence of Ridsdale at Boundary Park, explained the former Leeds and Cardiff chairman lived nearby."

I really think the people of Oldham need to start taking a look at what's happening on the pitch with this team.

I wasn't in the town when Joe Royle was in charge, but I remember enjoying everything about that League Cup run on Sportsnight. A small club banging in goals against bigger opposition and also in other games reports of great comebacks with centre halfs finishing games as centre forwards and scoring last gasp winners or equalisers.

I'm not for a second suggesting today was perfect. I thought Latics were pedestrian in the first half and needed the kick up the backside that going 2-1 down against 9 men gave them. But a manager who is prepared to risk losing the point a draw would give him in the chase for the two extra points from a win will do for me.

One defender substituted. Another stuck up front (and scoring the winner). Four strikers on the pitch at the end of the game (using a poetic licence to claim Taylor as a striker). And it worked too.

They've shown the same desire to win in other games too. Bristol Rovers and Colchester were matches Latics deserved more than a point from. They've also been prepared to have a go at places like Brighton and Peterborough and been unlucky in many ways to end up with nothing.

At a quick glance, this side is the 6th highest scoring team in the division. With a little bit more composure in front of goal they could easily be in the automatic promotion places. And while it's way to early to talk about being genuine promotion candidates, and today highlighted the frailties of the side as much as it did the fighting spirit, it would be a crying shame if those who have drifted away over the past decade or so don't come and have a proper look at Paul Dickov's Latics revolution and stick with it for the remainder of the season.

So what has the town got going on at Boundary Park?

- 2 points off automatic promotion

- capable of scoring, and conceding goals

- football predominantly on the floor

- width from the midfield and overlapping full backs

- create lots of chances

- prepared to go hell for leather to get a win

- a team that throws the kitchen sink at it when that's needed

Time for thousands of people to reconsider their Saturday routines. Because they really should be getting back to Boundary Park and climbing aboard the roller coaster for what will, hopefully, be one hell of a ride over the next couple of seasons.

Quite simply; a top post:

:applause1::applause1::applause1::applause1::applause1::applause1::applause1::applause1:

I was surprised at the applause when he got subbed, i assumed it must have been the hordes of City fans showing their appreciation for one of their old players. :wink: Nice to see though. Bit of an odd decision to take him off but he was probably knackered.

I Sit right near the away bench in the main stand paddock and I was one to applaud BWP – for an absolutely sterling effort of doing the running for 2 players for nay on 50 mins; and for a cracking solo goal showing pace, power & skill. Whilst I’m a Latics fans first & foremost; I’m a football fan in general too – and when someone deserves it; I’ll applaud. Around me; there were no ‘new faces’ (talking about City fans), just the usual season ticket holders – and it was us who were applauding in that area of the ground – certainly not City fans clapping a former player (I know it rosa's comment is in jest; but still)

Because I sit so close to the away bench; we hear pretty much everything that goes on. Reid had asked BWP to ‘give him just 5 minutes more’ when BWP had signalled to the bench; to which he agreed. 5 mins later came the sub. When he sat on the bench after being subbed; he said to Reid he was absolutely shot and couldn’t give anymore to the side. In fairness he had put in a massive shift!

As well as going absolutely berserk with our 2 late goals; and clapping / cheering our players off at FT – I like many clapped off the Plymouth 9 after they were slowly & dejectedly making their way back to the changing rooms after going to their fans. They deserved it; after the sheer amount of effort they’d put in; defending for their lives for so long in the game. Great game & great result – and I’m level headed enough to acknowledge it was also a great effort from Plymouth.