Terriers!

A Terriers fan here again!...

It's usually a good game against your lot, with the possible exception of last season where the high winds turned it into a farce, so I'm looking forward to another visit to Boundary Park. It's usually a good day out too with decent pubs and friendly locals. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't too worried about the prospect of playing you because you always seem to play pretty well against us even when you've lost. From what I can gather your performance last Saturday was pretty poor though so you'll no doubt be aiming to rectify that and what better place to start than against a fairly local rival.

If we continue with our recent form I'd say we're in with an excellent chance of victory but nothing's certain as they say. Consistency is the name of the game and it's looking like only Brighton are achieving that at the moment. There's a massive air of expectancy amongst our fans this season having made some exciting signings in the Summer. In the first instance it seemed that Lee Clark didn't know his best starting line up and he kept chopping and changing things. Just as he seemed to settle on a starting line up we picked up quite a few injuries, then the odd suspension and International (Under 21's) call ups disrupted it all over again. Right now thought it seems we're over most of that and we've added another forward 17 year old Benik Afobe from Arsenal.

All that said we're still the same as last year in many respects., in that we can look shaky at the back at times but thankfully our forward play is even more potent. Should be a good game and I'm looking froward to it! See you all there! :grin:

A Terriers fan here again!...

It's usually a good game against your lot, with the possible exception of last season where the high winds turned it into a farce, so I'm looking forward to another visit to Boundary Park. It's usually a good day out too with decent pubs and friendly locals. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't too worried about the prospect of playing you because you always seem to play pretty well against us even when you've lost. From what I can gather your performance last Saturday was pretty poor though so you'll no doubt be aiming to rectify that and what better place to start than against a fairly local rival.

If we continue with our recent form I'd say we're in with an excellent chance of victory but nothing's certain as they say. Consistency is the name of the game and it's looking like only Brighton are achieving that at the moment. There's a massive air of expectancy amongst our fans this season having made some exciting signings in the Summer. In the first instance it seemed that Lee Clark didn't know his best starting line up and he kept chopping and changing things. Just as he seemed to settle on a starting line up we picked up quite a few injuries, then the odd suspension and International (Under 21's) call ups disrupted it all over again. Right now thought it seems we're over most of that and we've added another forward 17 year old Benik Afobe from Arsenal.

All that said we're still the same as last year in many respects., in that we can look shaky at the back at times but thankfully our forward play is even more potent. Should be a good game and I'm looking froward to it! See you all there! :grin:

If we defend like we defended on Saturday and against Plymouth you will be bored of the ball hitting the net

Last few times I've seen your lot they have played decent football. We were unlucky not to get something from your place last season, scoreline flattered when we went down to 10.

I fear the weather will again play a part, to be fair it usually does at BP, 2 pairs of socks usually helps and gloves too. Enjoy your trip over the hill and remember to buy lots of pies and beer at the ground.

Oh well, it seems as though only three of us are interested in this game so far, which is strange seeing has how it's a local derby and we've apparently sold almost 3,000 tickets.

How many of our 'old boys' will be playing I wonder? I'd like to see my own favourites Holdy and Worthy play but we'll see! Looks like the weather could play a part once again, made worse by the absent stand no doubt.

Looking forward to some John Willy's in the Greyhound beforehand and a great game obviously! :grin:

How many of our 'old boys' will be playing I wonder? I'd like to see my own favourites Holdy and Worthy play but we'll see!

Worthington is transfer-listed but opting to sit out what will surely be his final professional contract whilst Holdsworth would no doubt be allowed to leave on a free if anybody wanted him.

Obviously Abbott now flatters to deceive down at Charlton.

Worthington is transfer-listed but opting to sit out what will surely be his final professional contract whilst Holdsworth would no doubt be allowed to leave on a free if anybody wanted him.

Obviously Abbott now flatters to deceive down at Charlton.

Bloody Hell! So sorry it hasn't worked out for them but it sounds like you'll be glad to be rid of them!

When we played Charlton Athletic back in late August I thought Pav was their best player. I always liked the lad, his only problem being his confidence but on his day he was a as good as anything in League One in my view. :wink:

Bloody Hell! So sorry it hasn't worked out for them but it sounds like you'll be glad to be rid of them!

When we played Charlton Athletic back in late August I thought Pav was their best player. I always liked the lad, his only problem being his confidence but on his day he was a as good as anything in League One in my view. :wink:

I actually like Holdsworth for his tenacity, however our rightback and central midfielders have been excellent so he remains off the radar (and probably injured).

Abbott's a fair weather player. His control and flair catches the eye but he's proven to be nothing more than a lower league journeyman, probably because he's painfully slow and often appears incapable of striking the ball cleanly.

I suspected Dave Penney was taking the piss when I first saw Worthington. He was.

Oh well, it seems as though only three of us are interested in this game so far, which is strange seeing has how it's a local derby and we've apparently sold almost 3,000 tickets.

People are too busy having conniptions about anything and everything else.

Looking forward to some John Willy's in the Greyhound beforehand and a great game obviously! :grin:

i go in the Greyhound pre-match, and whats happened, it used to be rammed before games, now its quite empty, well im gonna answer my own question, its because no one goes to the games anymore :unsure:

I actually like Holdsworth for his tenacity, however our rightback and central midfielders have been excellent so he remains off the radar (and probably injured).

Abbott's a fair weather player. His control and flair catches the eye but he's proven to be nothing more than a lower league journeyman, probably because he's painfully slow and often appears incapable of striking the ball cleanly.

I suspected Dave Penney was taking the piss when I first saw Worthington. He was.

Alarm bells rang for me when an 18 year old Tomas Cwyka took the pee out of Worthy at their place; and he had no answer. That was my first thought when we signed him. The fact that the Hudds fan on the same business park as I work at actually did a little jig-dance at me when he found out a.) Hudds had got rid of him and b.) we’d signed him, should also have been a marker for what was to follow.

Poor player, in a very poor side last season. I’m thankful he’s nowhere near the side this season. I just wish that someone would have come in for him.......we really need Penney to get a job somewhere!

As for the others from over the hills:

Pav was a special player when he wanted to be; but ultimately wasn’t the same after his operating table incident (thanks for the 13 though Pav!)

Holdsworth impressed me early doors last season; he gave plenty of endeavour and looked a decent, solid L1 player BUT; he’s had an appalling injury record (he is indeed out injured Stitch) since; what Oct 2009, and we simply can’t afford to carry ‘glass-men’ anymore; so i’d agree; were someone to come in for him; he’d be well & truly off.

Keigan Parker – well, the fact that it actually just a shiver down my spine typing his name tells all you need to know about him.

Jim Goodwin; an honest enough player; but the stupid thing about his loan was that he was no better than we had; and he didn’t play in the positions we needs strengthening.

Thankfully, PD has decided to look elsewhere for his players; rather than out of contract or reserve players from Huddersfield.

Alarm bells rang for me when an 18 year old Tomas Cwyka took the pee out of Worthy at their place; and he had no answer. That was my first thought when we signed him.

I must admit, despite not much with regards a Latics player's performance escaping me, I pay little attention to the opposition players. To me they've always just been eleven numbered and evil drones. It's something I'm going to address, though it has meant that pretty much everybody gets a clean Stitch slate when we sign them. :)

Alarm bells rang for me when an 18 year old Tomas Cwyka took the pee out of Worthy at their place; and he had no answer. That was my first thought when we signed him. The fact that the Hudds fan on the same business park as I work at actually did a little jig-dance at me when he found out a.) Hudds had got rid of him and b.) we’d signed him, should also have been a marker for what was to follow.

Poor player, in a very poor side last season. I’m thankful he’s nowhere near the side this season. I just wish that someone would have come in for him.......we really need Penney to get a job somewhere!

As for the others from over the hills:

Pav was a special player when he wanted to be; but ultimately wasn’t the same after his operating table incident (thanks for the 13 though Pav!)

Holdsworth impressed me early doors last season; he gave plenty of endeavour and looked a decent, solid L1 player BUT; he’s had an appalling injury record (he is indeed out injured Stitch) since; what Oct 2009, and we simply can’t afford to carry ‘glass-men’ anymore; so i’d agree; were someone to come in for him; he’d be well & truly off.

Keigan Parker – well, the fact that it actually just a shiver down my spine typing his name tells all you need to know about him.

Jim Goodwin; an honest enough player; but the stupid thing about his loan was that he was no better than we had; and he didn’t play in the positions we needs strengthening.

Thankfully, PD has decided to look elsewhere for his players; rather than out of contract or reserve players from Huddersfield.

We all knew it was time for Holdy and Worthy to move on. The affection we felt for them was based mainly on when they came into our team as youngsters and we were in administration and at rock bottom so we had to rely on the academy lads. In fact for a couple of seasons we had the most home grow players in the first team than any other club. Incredibly, they helped us to gain promotion that year, guided by the wonderful Peter Jackson. Things like that shape your views on players but sadly although they showed fantastic promise they never really fulfilled it. I genuinely thought Andy Holdsworth and Dave Mirfin (now at Scunthorpe) would make it at a much higher level. As for Worthington he always gave 100% and was a Town fan and that was about it! :wink:

Edited by Acetripper

We all knew it was time for Holdy and Worthy to move on. The affection we felt for them was based mainly on when they came into our team as youngsters and we were in administration and at rock bottom so we had to rely on the academy lads. In fact for a couple of seasons we had the most home grow players in the first team than any other club. Incredibly, they helped us to gain promotion that year, guided by the wonderful Peter Jackson. Things like that shape your views on players but sadly although they showed fantastic promise they never really fulfilled it. I genuinely thought Andy Holdsworth and Dave Mirfin (now at Scunthorpe) would make it at a much higher level. As for Worthington he always gave 100% and was a Town fan and that was about it! :wink:

Thats probably why he chose to be :censored:e for us :grin:

I must admit, despite not much with regards a Latics player's performance escaping me, I pay little attention to the opposition players. To me they've always just been eleven numbered and evil drones. It's something I'm going to address, though it has meant that pretty much everybody gets a clean Stitch slate when we sign them. :)

Not sure how you manage this - picking the decent opposition players helps temper my assessment of how good our lads are individually playing - for example if Black is up against a red hot winger then is he necessarily playing badly? Hopefully PD watches all 22 on the pitch so he can adjust tactics accordingly (yep - double up on that winger or go in with the 'Paul Scholes tackle' approach :grin:

I'm with Stitch here. I don't really pay any attention to the opposition players; it's certainly very rare that I'll be able to offer an assessment on a player's performance weeks after the event. It's even more rare that I'll be able to name them. As long as our guys (am I allowed to call them that?) are doing the business that's all that matters.

I'm with Stitch here. I don't really pay any attention to the opposition players; it's certainly very rare that I'll be able to offer an assessment on a player's performance weeks after the event. It's even more rare that I'll be able to name them. As long as our guys (am I allowed to call them that?) are doing the business that's all that matters.

Me too. Unless they used to play for us I'm clueless!

I'm with TheBigDog on this, I do watch out for opposition players I think are decent or have had a good game.

As for the ex Huddersfield players I would pretty much echo what slystallone said, Holdsworth easily looked the best of the bunch but has what appears to be chronic tendonitis that will always cause him to struggle to play on a regular basis.

Worthington is dire and has shown his intent by refusing a loan move that would at least have allowed him to play.

Parker - no comment required.

Pav looked very decent up to his hernia op, but unfortunately never looked the same player after.

Two attacking teams should mean an open exciting game or am I just being overly optimistic?

Games against Oldham always seem to be tight affairs regardless of the final score but if we continue with our recent form and play with passion and determination then we should do well. The problem is we're our own worse enemy at times. It's well known our defensive play is our main weakness so we'll need to put the work in when we don't have the ball and strike with pace when we do. No doubt PD will have your lads will up for it after not playing too well last week so I'm expecting a another tight encounter. The odd goal either way :wink:

Two attacking teams should mean an open exciting game or am I just being overly optimistic?

Games against Oldham always seem to be tight affairs regardless of the final score but if we continue with our recent form and play with passion and determination then we should do well. The problem is we're our own worse enemy at times. It's well known our defensive play is our main weakness so we'll need to put the work in when we don't have the ball and strike with pace when we do. No doubt PD will have your lads will up for it after not playing too well last week so I'm expecting a another tight encounter. The odd goal either way :wink:

Hmmm apart from a 4-0 to us in 2002, a 3-0 in 2006 and a 4-1 in 2007! :wink: To be fair you destroyed us under Moore 3-0, and we :censored:ed up a 2-0 lead at the Gayfarm, but the last few years have been tight. If i'm honest I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw wih a decent run of games coming up v Dagenham, Exter, Rochdale, Walsall and Swindon.

Hmmm apart from a 4-0 to us in 2002, a 3-0 in 2006 and a 4-1 in 2007! :wink: To be fair you destroyed us under Moore 3-0, and we :censored:ed up a 2-0 lead at the Gayfarm, but the last few years have been tight. If i'm honest I wouldn't be too disappointed with a draw wih a decent run of games coming up v Dagenham, Exter, Rochdale, Walsall and Swindon.

Gayfarm? :blink: Did you take a wrong turning off the M62? :D

Not sure how you manage this - picking the decent opposition players helps temper my assessment of how good our lads are individually playing - for example if Black is up against a red hot winger then is he necessarily playing badly? Hopefully PD watches all 22 on the pitch so he can adjust tactics accordingly (yep - double up on that winger or go in with the 'Paul Scholes tackle' approach :grin:

No, watching the game I can't help but notice decent opposition players, but I usually know them only by number/postition and/or a distinguishable feature such as ginger hair, long shorts or red boots. Once the final whistle goes I forget about them.

Only occasionally will I bother to find out what an opposition player is called - the last was Ashley Vincent.

No, watching the game I can't help but notice decent opposition players, but I usually know them only by number/postition and/or a distinguishable feature such as ginger hair, long shorts or red boots. Once the final whistle goes I forget about them.

Only occasionally will I bother to find out what an opposition player is called - the last was Ashley Vincent.

Now and again one will really stand out. The best example for me is Jimmy Bullard for Peterborough. It was us V him and iirc we drew 1 v 1.