Rochdale Road End

Like I say, it's poor design for purpose rather than cheap. What year was the Chaddy roof put on by the way?

1991. Not sure about the steelwork however but the actual roof was definitely 1991 as anyone who was there against Sheff Wed for *that* game will recall we were open to the elements.

I dont agree with the argument about the Chaddy being the real home end and spiritual home etc etc as it stopped being The Chaddy when they put seats in. RRE is a better stand, no doubt about it.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The roof design is identical to the one that was there originally, only the old covering was blown off when Redders smacked that penalty home.

I can't understand the problem people have with the Chaddy, sure there is one post in the way for 3/4 of the seats but good grief just move over a bit to see round it when the action goes behind it, or miss a fraction of a second of play. You don't have to sit where your view of the goals is impeded, there are plenty of seats to chose from.

Here's a thought when your sitting in front of your telly watching footy, why not stand a pencil in front of you then by the time you get to the chaddy you will be used to the view.

Yeah, but away fans have always been there. And anyway, its a ridiculous suggestion as we would have to change the name of the mascot. And we can't have a mascot named after another football club.

Yeah, but home fans have also been their quite alot. And we dont, still a chaddy end isnt their?

Yeah, but home fans have also been their quite alot. And we dont, still a chaddy end isnt their?

Who in their right mind would name a mascot after the end where they put away fans?

Simply, enough of our support has been alienated by knocking down the lookers (when there was no need for it) and then moving the ones who sit in the RRE about so much. Our crowds are suffering, and that can't be discounted as one of the reasons. It is a stupid idea to suggest alienating even more of the fanbase, as that is all moving home fans out of the Chaddy would do.

Who in their right mind would name a mascot after the end where they put away fans?

Simply, enough of our support has been alienated by knocking down the lookers (when there was no need for it) and then moving the ones who sit in the RRE about so much. Our crowds are suffering, and that can't be discounted as one of the reasons. It is a stupid idea to suggest alienating even more of the fanbase, as that is all moving home fans out of the Chaddy would do.

Luddites. Backward looking town with some backward looking fans.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got!

Luddites. Backward looking town with some backward looking fans.

If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you always got!

Absolute balderdash. Moving home fans to the RRE will not change the clubs fortunes on or off the pitch. It will not make the fans happier, and would only serve to piss more fans off that have already been pissed off. Whilst Oldham Athletic play at Boundary Park, that end of Boundary Park should be reserved for home fans (whatever guise it is in).

Latics home end is the Chaddy End. It's tradition, and tradition is pretty much the only reason any club in the lower leagues survive.

Absolute balderdash. Moving home fans to the RRE will not change the clubs fortunes on or off the pitch. It will not make the fans happier, and would only serve to piss more fans off that have already been pissed off. Whilst Oldham Athletic play at Boundary Park, that end of Boundary Park should be reserved for home fans (whatever guise it is in).

Latics home end is the Chaddy End. It's tradition, and tradition is pretty much the only reason any club in the lower leagues survive.

I appreciate your argument but you'll find that you're in a continually reducing minority Dave.

Is it tradition? Is it these crumbling traditionally stadiums?? Is it tradition that clubs spend beyond their means?

And actually it could improve fortunes on, do i imagine it when players say that a better atmosphere with fans getting behind them is better than them not?? RRE generates a better atmosphere than chaddy.

Is it tradition? Is it these crumbling traditionally stadiums?? Is it tradition that clubs spend beyond their means?

And actually it could improve fortunes on, do i imagine it when players say that a better atmosphere with fans getting behind them is better than them not?? RRE generates a better atmosphere than chaddy.

Is what tradition?

And it would seem that it is traditional that clubs spend beyond their means yeah, but I don't see the point you are making.

And does the RRE generate a better atmosphere? We have had home fans in there a few season now, and I would hardly say the atmosphere has been good. There were over 3500 away fans in there on Saturday, and the atmosphere from that end was hardly great. I wonder when people will realise that its the people in the stand who make the atmosphere, and not the stand itself. At the moment, we could fit the entire home support in the RRE, and put away fans in the main stand, and I bet the atmosphere would still be crap.

+1

And all the others who voted to stay in the Chaddy.

I love being sat in the chaddy. It's got a homely feel to it haha. I love it in there because its a briliant stand (in my opinion). Its better than being stuck in the RRE with 12 year old chavs giving it the biggun. Although it was rather good atmosphere in the chaddy saturday even if it the noise wasn't heard.

totally agree with you thats what has stopped a lot of latics fans going to matches because of the messing about with season ticket holders having to relocate.having the chaddy just for away fans makes absolute sense

If this happened I for one would NOT be going to every game as I do now. I would have to check out the weather fiest.

As for the Chaddy / RRE debate - It was mooted a few years ago; to get all home fans in 1 place; end on, in RRE stand which has the better facilities, accoustics & view - but stubbern Latics fans wouldnt leave their beloved Chaddy stand.....despite the fact that for all the 'atmosphere' generated in there; you can't even hear it at the half way line; let alone the RRE.

Dickov heard it when he was asked to give us a wave!!!!!!!!

Well both are basically home end now :wink:

and going into this debate, didnt home fans use to sit/stand in the RRE years ago? :wink:

There was no RRE stand years ago it was an open terrace, and very big at one time. It was chopped down to half it's size so that the concrete could be used to fill in a culvert.

It was SCs idea to knock down the Lookers claiming it was cheaper knocking it down than leaving it up. Blitz didn't agree with him. This came out when both were interviewed by Gordon.

who in their right mind gives the away fans the better facilities? It's absolutely crazy! What ground have you been to that gives thje away fans better facilities except bp? It's small inded to say:

i'm not going again if I can't pay the same money to sit in a stand with better facilities veiw and atmosphere than the derelict, crumbling thing i currently sit in!

Time Oldham athletic and oldham as a town need to look forward. We can't afford the luxury of putting tradition 1st. move on and get over it!!!!!!!

who in their right mind gives the away fans the better facilities? It's absolutely crazy! What ground have you been to that gives thje away fans better facilities except bp? It's small inded to say:

i'm not going again if I can't pay the same money to sit in a stand with better facilities veiw and atmosphere than the derelict, crumbling thing i currently sit in!

Time Oldham athletic and oldham as a town need to look forward. We can't afford the luxury of putting tradition 1st. move on and get over it!!!!!!!

dagenham ? rochdale ?

<dodges teddy that came flying out of pram>

I can see both sides of the argument here, but sadly it's only the 'traditionalists who are now keeping the club afloat. Those that come because "it's what they do" and sit where they sit because it's "where they sit". Particularly during last season, one of the only positives to come out of visiting BP for me last season was to have a laugh with the people who sit around me, and have done for years. They are almost a bit like an extended family of sorts (not that I'd have them all round for Christmas Dinner or anything> :wink: ). The club have already alienated a signigicant number of the hardcore by knocking down the Lookers and forcing those people to move.

If they force fans from the Chaddy to move then I fear they will be virtually nobody left to go the this shiny new stadium we've been promised.

And on that note, most fans have relucatantly come to the realisation that it's Failsworth or nothing. Be they Chaddy Enders, Main Stand Moaners or Rocky Road End 'Terrace Legends', they'll have to move IF it happens. In the meantime, just leave things as they are. Damage limitation.

I can see both sides of the argument here, but sadly it's only the 'traditionalists who are now keeping the club afloat. Those that come because "it's what they do" and sit where they sit because it's "where they sit". Particularly during last season, one of the only positives to come out of visiting BP for me last season was to have a laugh with the people who sit around me, and have done for years. They are almost a bit like an extended family of sorts (not that I'd have them all round for Christmas Dinner or anything> :wink: ). The club have already alienated a signigicant number of the hardcore by knocking down the Lookers and forcing those people to move.

If they force fans from the Chaddy to move then I fear they will be virtually nobody left to go the this shiny new stadium we've been promised.

And on that note, most fans have relucatantly come to the realisation that it's Failsworth or nothing. Be they Chaddy Enders, Main Stand Moaners or Rocky Road End 'Terrace Legends', they'll have to move IF it happens. In the meantime, just leave things as they are. Damage limitation.

Dropping the Lookers nearly stopped me going TBH – and whilst I see the benefits in terms of (unobstructed by pillars / roof etc) view, facilities & acoustics, moving into the RRE didn’t work out for me, my Dad & my mate.

Moving to Main Stand Paddock has at least kept me going to games; even last season under dumb & dumber; as IMO you just can’t beat the side on view, and the fact that you can shout and the players can hear you; so you get to cheer on & encourage the Latics players; and abuse the shiiiiete out of the opposition; plus being near the away bench is always good for the banter!

Whilst I totally see the short-comings of the crumbling old timer that is the Chaddy (I’ve sat in there once or twice; Man City & Bolton Games in FA Cup spring to mind – Vernon’s goal was blocked a bloody pillar & whilst I thought both games were ‘bouncing’; re-watching the games back on TV you could barely hear the Chaddy’s “atmosphere”), I have to say that we, as a club, are sooooooooo not in a position to turn off hundreds of fans by moving them out of their beloved Chaddy. A vote was done a few years ago, and the ones who frequent that stand don’t want to move – end of - and if they were forced too; I don’t think may would come to games anymore. On attendances’ as poor as ours; we can’t afford to turn-off any more fans.

The Chaddy is what it is – a pretty darn; actually; really really poor stand, with lots & lots of issues, but it is & has been where people have stood & now sit for years & years, and they don’t want to move out of it.

They will of course have to if Failsworth ever happens; but until then – it’ll still be as it is, and always has been at BP ....

Dropping the Lookers nearly stopped me going TBH – and whilst I see the benefits in terms of (unobstructed by pillars / roof etc) view, facilities & acoustics, moving into the RRE didn’t work out for me, my Dad & my mate.

Moving to Main Stand Paddock has at least kept me going to games; even last season under dumb & dumber; as IMO you just can’t beat the side on view, and the fact that you can shout and the players can hear you; so you get to cheer on & encourage the Latics players; and abuse the shiiiiete out of the opposition; plus being near the away bench is always good for the banter!

Whilst I totally see the short-comings of the crumbling old timer that is the Chaddy (I’ve sat in there once or twice; Man City & Bolton Games in FA Cup spring to mind – Vernon’s goal was blocked a bloody pillar & whilst I thought both games were ‘bouncing’; re-watching the games back on TV you could barely hear the Chaddy’s “atmosphere”), I have to say that we, as a club, are sooooooooo not in a position to turn off hundreds of fans by moving them out of their beloved Chaddy. A vote was done a few years ago, and the ones who frequent that stand don’t want to move – end of - and if they were forced too; I don’t think may would come to games anymore. On attendances’ as poor as ours; we can’t afford to turn-off any more fans.

The Chaddy is what it is – a pretty darn; actually; really really poor stand, with lots & lots of issues, but it is & has been where people have stood & now sit for years & years, and they don’t want to move out of it.

They will of course have to if Failsworth ever happens; but until then – it’ll still be as it is, and always has been at BP ....

i take your point totally but the habit of looking back is not a good habit to have. especially with a club our size.