Technically gifted Latics players ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filipe Morais struck me immediately as a technically gifted player and it got me wondering how many Latics players past and present fall into the category of silky skills and comfortable on the ball.

In the old days Bobby Johnstone, and later Simon Strainrod spring to my mind, can you think of any more ?

Tommy Bryceland.

More for the older fans here.

In the 70's we had 2 great wingers under Friz. Groves deservedly stood out for his flashness and pure entertainment value, but on the other wing was a certain George McVitie, who IMHO was one of the most naturally gifted players you are ever likely to see. Like Holden he lacked pace, but his natural ability more than made up for that. If he took corners for us today, we would be lethal.

Also, we were fortunate to have the mercurial Bobby Collins but for too short a time at the end of his career. The wee man was class.

More recently Stainrod stands out from the early 80's and at the same time there was a certain Paul Atkinson, who never really fulfilled his potential and who I feel made a mistake joining Watford at the time. They may have got to the cup final in '84 but I always felt he was better than that.

If you really need a consistent stand out though from the last 40 years then probably the dodger. Good 1st touch, always in the right place at the right time, disciplined (well, on the pitch anyway) could tackle, good engine and yet was so elusive to the opposition. And to think City let him go for £70,000, what a steal! What would a player like that be worth now. We signed Palmer when we sold Stainrod to QPR for £285,000 (was bought for £65,000) and supporters were up in arms. Hindsight is a great thing.

I know it's off topic, but talking about steals, we have made quite a few over the years. Irwin, Linigan & Ritchie from Leeds, Palmer, Barrett and Warhurst from the Council tenants. Oh and Groves £10,000!!!!!!! I bet there's loads if you think about it.

Alan McNeil....and from the same era......Tommy Bryceland

+1

Rick Holden for me, my favourite latics player of all time!

The thing with Ricky is he looked like he was seconds away from spilling a bunch of plates all the time. I think it worked in his favour. He's certainly in my top 10 favourites (Sheridan is mine), but actual control I'm not sure. It depends upon what we are asking. He is the best crosser of the ball (to those who never saw him he was like Steve Guppy/David Beckham at crossing) I've seen play. I just think of 'technically gifted' as a caresser of the ball like Sheridan, Wellens and such.