Technically gifted Latics players ?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More for the older fans here.

In the 70's we had 2 great wingers under Friz. Groves deservedly stood out for his flashness and pure entertainment value, but on the other wing was a certain George McVitie, who IMHO was one of the most naturally gifted players you are ever likely to see. Like Holden he lacked pace, but his natural ability more than made up for that. If he took corners for us today, we would be lethal.

Also, we were fortunate to have the mercurial Bobby Collins but for too short a time at the end of his career. The wee man was class.

More recently Stainrod stands out from the early 80's and at the same time there was a certain Paul Atkinson, who never really fulfilled his potential and who I feel made a mistake joining Watford at the time. They may have got to the cup final in '84 but I always felt he was better than that.

If you really need a consistent stand out though from the last 40 years then probably the dodger. Good 1st touch, always in the right place at the right time, disciplined (well, on the pitch anyway) could tackle, good engine and yet was so elusive to the opposition. And to think City let him go for £70,000, what a steal! What would a player like that be worth now. We signed Palmer when we sold Stainrod to QPR for £285,000 (was bought for £65,000) and supporters were up in arms. Hindsight is a great thing.

I know it's off topic, but talking about steals, we have made quite a few over the years. Irwin, Linigan & Ritchie from Leeds, Palmer, Barrett and Warhurst from the Council tenants. Oh and Groves £10,000!!!!!!! I bet there's loads if you think about it.

More for the older fans here.

In the 70's we had 2 great wingers under Friz. Groves deservedly stood out for his flashness and pure entertainment value, but on the other wing was a certain George McVitie, who IMHO was one of the most naturally gifted players you are ever likely to see. Like Holden he lacked pace, but his natural ability more than made up for that. If he took corners for us today, we would be lethal.

Also, we were fortunate to have the mercurial Bobby Collins but for too short a time at the end of his career. The wee man was class.

More recently Stainrod stands out from the early 80's and at the same time there was a certain Paul Atkinson, who never really fulfilled his potential and who I feel made a mistake joining Watford at the time. They may have got to the cup final in '84 but I always felt he was better than that.

If you really need a consistent stand out though from the last 40 years then probably the dodger. Good 1st touch, always in the right place at the right time, disciplined (well, on the pitch anyway) could tackle, good engine and yet was so elusive to the opposition. And to think City let him go for £70,000, what a steal! What would a player like that be worth now. We signed Palmer when we sold Stainrod to QPR for £285,000 (was bought for £65,000) and supporters were up in arms. Hindsight is a great thing.

I know it's off topic, but talking about steals, we have made quite a few over the years. Irwin, Linigan & Ritchie from Leeds, Palmer, Barrett and Warhurst from the Council tenants. Oh and Groves £10,000!!!!!!! I bet there's loads if you think about it.

Agreed ..and the classiest goalkeeper...Harry Dowd of course :)

Anybody remember Billy Johnston back in the 60s.

All saying he was the next George Best but broke his leg at Middlesboro i think and never played again.

I was only a kid at the time and can't really remember much , only know i was at boro and i think it was the first tackle of the game after 10 seconds.

All i remember was the game was stopped for what seemed an age and when it restarted we were 4 down in 10 minutes ??

Anybody remember Billy Johnston back in the 60s.

All saying he was the next George Best but broke his leg at Middlesboro i think and never played again.

I was only a kid at the time and can't really remember much , only know i was at boro and i think it was the first tackle of the game after 10 seconds.

All i remember was the game was stopped for what seemed an age and when it restarted we were 4 down in 10 minutes ??

Yes looked a brilliant prospect on his home debut, took the breath away with his dazzling skills, but broke his ankle I believe and was never the same again.

Edited by BP1960

David Eyres was always a class player, amazing he was in non league until he was 26yo.

I started going to Latics in '89 as a wee 15 year old so I was fortunate enough to witness the glory days! I still stand by that the best Latics player I have ever seen was David Eyres....by a country mile!!!

Gunnar Halle,played full back or midfield,international footballer and guaranteed to keep possesion.Most of our better technical players would be from that era just based on the level we were playing,Earl Barrett and Richard Jobson cultured centre halves.

Does anyone remember Alan Williams centre half in the 60s I think he later signed for Ipswitch,he was cool as a cucumber a very talenanted player indeed.

Didn't go to Ipswich - went to watford and then Newport..

I think you are thinking of Allan Hunter. Went to Ipswich and was a stalwart of N ireland team. V good centre half.

Edited by LaticsPete

Agreed. His footballing brain was awesome and the amount of times he could move into a penalty area undetected to bag a goal was unbelievable, and hasn't been matched since. He's exactly the player that springs to mind when this thread title popped up.

Does anyone remember Alan Williams centre half in the 60s I think he later signed for Ipswitch,he was cool as a cucumber a very talenanted player indeed.

Cracking centre half. Came to us from Brizzle City if I recall and took up running a pub in Brizzle City Centre when he retired. His son, Gary, played for us as well.

Slightly off track, but how about this for a line up if they were available now and played 4-4-2.

Andy Goram (1st time); Ian Wood, Bill Asprey, Keith Hicks, Mo Whittle; Alan Groves, Bobby Johnstone, Les Chapman, Rick Holden; Bert Lister (or Roger Palmer), Andy Ritchie (or David Shaw)

God, the possibilities are endless when you also consider the likes of Simon Stainrod, Rodger Wylde, Ronnie Blair, Harry Dowd et al.

Cracking centre half. Came to us from Brizzle City if I recall and took up running a pub in Brizzle City Centre when he retired. His son, Gary, played for us as well.

Slightly off track, but how about this for a line up if they were available now and played 4-4-2.

Andy Goram (1st time); Ian Wood, Bill Asprey, Keith Hicks, Mo Whittle; Alan Groves, Bobby Johnstone, Les Chapman, Rick Holden; Bert Lister (or Roger Palmer), Andy Ritchie (or David Shaw)

God, the possibilities are endless when you also consider the likes of Simon Stainrod, Rodger Wylde, Ronnie Blair, Harry Dowd et al.

Gary use to run the Horse and Jockey behind the Bristol Council House for a fair few years...mid to late 90's..his sister use to travel up regularly to watch the Latics..not sure if she still does mind.