Oldham V ECFC Matchday thread

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Second game of the season for me, fantastic for the first half, second half was just terrible, the movement was gone and passing all over the place but we still weren't threatened. White went off and 'Hi, I'm Ed' Winchester was completely isolated, Jones was terrible and offered no support to the youngster, same thing happened when Evina went off with Black.

After commanding his area pretty well in the first, Brill looked to lose it again, once thier first went in it was pretty inevitable what would happen.

I didn't realise Brill had saved the penalty, but others around me thought he got a touch.

I also thought there was a handball for their equaliser, but I didn't see any obvious complaining from the numerous Latics players who had failed to attack the effing ball in the first place.

Full credit to Exeter. The went for it and got something from a game in which they were dead and buried.

By the way, the substitutions made complete sense - it was obvious Exeter were getting back in to the game. Jones on for a wide player to make the midfield more solid. Feeney on to hold the ball up more. Alessandra on to keep possession too.

Unfortunately Jones had a shocker and gave a tiring Winchester no protection (silly tackle from the lad for the penalty - hopefully that will be the last time he makes that mistake in his Latics career) and Feeney didn't do a lot to keep the ball at the other end of the pitch.

If only the Stephens free kick hadn't been spectacularly saved with the last shot of the match.

Naffed off that we let them get back in to it, but you have to say that was bloody good value for money as a sporting contest.

After Winchester was beaten 3 times after the first 10 minutes of the second half, surely you'd think it was time to bring him off and whack White or Evina down there.

Dickov can only be blamed for that. The midfield played too far up the pitch and Exeter had plenty of space in our half as a result. I don't think Dickov should have sent the team out in a defensive manner for the second half, we could have gone on to smash them 6-0 if the players would have played with the same urgency that they did in the first. But when it was clear that Exeter were gaining momentum and we weren't putting in as much effort Dickov should have put Jarrett on for Stephens, to play deeper and hold the fort, and Wincheter for Alessandra with Evina or White going to right back. I have no idea why he put Feeney on...baffled.

I said 4 points from Exeter and Dale would be good, I had in midn that Dale would be hard to beat at home because they are very resilient. This result will be hard to forget, but Dickov better have the team playing like there's a rocket in their arse on Saturday, nothing less than a win will remedy tonight. Right now, I just can't be ársed with Latics. If you can't expect a win after 3 straight wins and being 3-0 up at half time against a team that looks like powder puff then I don't know when you can.

I'd have rather we'd been slaughtered 4-0 throughout that game than to have to come away feeling as sick as I did knowing we through away a "sure" 3 points.

Edited by PlayItLivo

Harsh on Stephens he was very good in the first half, they were all too deep and unable to keep hold of the ball. Captain Rubes worries me, he's the most experienced out there and he panics more than anyone...

Stephens was going through the motions in the 2nd half, he thinks he can stroll about and play the Hollywood ball all the time....he needs to pull his finger out and work a lot harder defensively like Furman.

Can't believe we threw that away in the last 15 minutes but full credit to Exeter who looked like scoring with every attack in the last few minutes!!

I can understand everyone's frustration....i'm absolutely gutted tonight, it feels like a loss!

When exeter started getting into the game it needed a calming influence to settle us down, but that was apparently lacking.

I can't believe my contrasting emotions...at ht i was buzzing after a terrific half........now, it's a good job we don't have a cat!!

First 70 minutes were the best I've seen us play in a while and to ruin that with how we played at the end is shocking!

I don't think dickov should take full blame for not winning because the subs he made were logical IMO. What changed the game was nardiello coming on and Exeter changing to 3-4-3. They decided to go for it and we sat back and let them. They saw Winchester as a weak link and put lots of balls towards him. I felt sorry for him really and I hope it hasn't knocked his confidence.

First half was great, but that game has totally taken the confidence out of the team I'd guess and we need to react at Rochdale. The players thought that they'd done all the work at half time and let an average Exeter get a draw.

Grant will tear Winchester a new one on Saturday.

Lee will be back on Sat, but can't really blame winchester, he's a young lad and played two 90 min games in 4 days, Exeter saw he was a probable weak spot and put an experienced Nardiello on him. Like 04u said PD should have subbed him and maybe played Tayls there,

In the twenty years that I've supported Latics there hasn't been a single occasion when we've come back from a three goal deficit yet somehow we manage to let another team do it in thirteen minutes. And at home against Exeter for f'cks sake.

Unbelievable.

Didn't we come back from 3 down to beat millwall 4-3 on first game of season couple of years ago?

I can understand everyone's frustration....i'm absolutely gutted tonight, it feels like a loss!

It feels worse. I can accept being second best for most of the match and losing. Or being battered all match and losing 4-0. I come away thinking "meh, not good enough, whatever".

I was choked after tonight.

Edited by PlayItLivo

When exeter started getting into the game it needed a calming influence to settle us down, but that was apparently lacking.

I can't believe my contrasting emotions...at ht i was buzzing after a terrific half........now, it's a good job we don't have a cat!!

I've got two, and feel soooo much better.... :naughty:

Drop Stephens. Hes been poor ever since he got his new contract. Stick a magnet in the ball and one in Brills arms because that first goal was fookin pathetic! Then he had the guts to shout at the defence complaining! Feeney, sorry but if he is going to be our main goal getter this season we are fooked. Thats twice i've seen him take it back, instead of attacking, and we have conceded twice from it, if i was Brooke or Kelly i would be demanding answers from PD why that useless lump is getting on instead of them - do fleetwood want another player?

White, Tonk, Furman all looked good, but we missed Lee, especially in last 20, Winchester was out of energy, Nardiello tore him a new hole, Jones offered no protection, can't wait for Morais to come back! Taylor - put some effort in!!! and dont be such a wimp, and shut up getting lippy with the officials.

Credit to Exeter, we was crap all night, only reason we scored 3 in first half was because Exeter hardly challenged us on the times when we got the ball.

Drop Stephens. Hes been poor ever since he got his new contract. Stick a magnet in the ball and one in Brills arms because that first goal was fookin pathetic! Then he had the guts to shout at the defence complaining! Feeney, sorry but if he is going to be our main goal getter this season we are fooked. Thats twice i've seen him take it back, instead of attacking, and we have conceded twice from it, if i was Brooke or Kelly i would be demanding answers from PD why that useless lump is getting on instead of them - do fleetwood want another player?

White, Tonk, Furman all looked good, but we missed Lee, especially in last 20, Winchester was out of energy, Nardiello tore him a new hole, Jones offered no protection, can't wait for Morais to come back! Taylor - put some effort in!!! and dont be such a wimp, and shut up getting lippy with the officials.

Credit to Exeter, we was crap all night, only reason we scored 3 in first half was because Exeter hardly challenged us on the times when we got the ball.

Taylor put some effort in? Who were u watching in the first half? He was tackling, using his silky skills, throwing his weight around and scored a peach of a goal! Yeah, he did chase the ref round the pitch when he didn't get a decision in the second half but apart from that.....