boxing day game

not looking like this game will happen is it,freezing temps and snow forecast for next week :disappointed:

I think if there's snow on the pitch then the freezing temperatures aren't as much of an issue. The snow acts kind of like insulation.

5live were mentioning all day yesterday is now the time to call for a winter break, which is ludicrous. When on earth are we supposed to have it? November? December? January...?

I think if there's snow on the pitch then the freezing temperatures aren't as much of an issue. The snow acts kind of like insulation.

5live were mentioning all day yesterday is now the time to call for a winter break, which is ludicrous. When on earth are we supposed to have it? November? December? January...?

Wait until half the teams in the leagues go bankrupt - then instead of replacing them - less teams equals less games making the time available for a winters break.

winter break please FA

While the 2022 World Cup is on, perhaps.

I'd hazard a guess that if a 4 week winter break had been introduced previously, fixtures from just after the 3rd Round of the FA Cup up to the beginning of February would be the ones moved.

Absolutely no benefit for the postponements in December.

If teams have to play two games a week, or even three, later in the season, so be it.

Additionally, let's have more of the attitude seen at Ipswich yesterday. Just because it's a bit nippy and the snow is falling doesn't mean you can't play a game of football.

Wait until half the teams in the leagues go bankrupt - then instead of replacing them - less teams equals less games making the time available for a winters break.

And then all the other teams go bankrupt too because they have fewer games to play?

Edited by opinions4u

While the 2022 World Cup is on, perhaps.

I'd hazard a guess that if a 4 week winter break had been introduced previously, fixtures from just after the 3rd Round of the FA Cup up to the beginning of February would be the ones moved.

Absolutely no benefit for the postponements in December.

If teams have to play two games a week, or even three, later in the season, so be it.

Additionally, let's have more of the attitude seen at Ipswich yesterday. Just because it's a bit nippy and the snow is falling doesn't mean you can't play a game of football.

Although i agree, judging by the amount of postponements yesterday would suggest otherwise.

Although i agree, judging by the amount of postponements yesterday would suggest otherwise.

I do appreciate there is a line that has to be drawn (and I don't mean the blue ones seen at Portman Road), and a frozen pitch is not usually a good idea, Britain has become soft in the name of health and safety.

People might slip on the approaches to the ground? And? I might crash driving to work but I still do it.

As for Chelsea v Man Utd being called off - extraordinary. Did they consult with Latics on how to approach it?

Only a fortnight ago, Chelsea publicly argued on their own website: ‘In this day and age, with all the modern technology, it is very rare you get a game called off. The pitch would have to be frozen solid or completely under water to be called off, which shouldn’t happen at Stamford Bridge.’

Head groundsman Jason Griffin said: ‘At Stamford Bridge, we have a water pipe system. It’s like a big radiator pumping hot water under the pitch to keep it warm. You set the temperature to go up and down, depending on the weather forecast. It’s usually between 15 and 20 degrees Centigrade. If the temperature ever gets too high, I get an alert on my phone and I would know there was a problem.’

They didn't in 62/63 and more matches were lost then.

Nor in 1947 when this was the scene at Moorside on 6th February.

5273867678_bd82f87608_z.jpg

That season after winning 6-1 at home on New Year's Day, Latics only won once at home and twice away in the remaining 20 games. Crowds at BP dropped from 14,735 to 7,378 for the home win in the last home game of the season.

Sometimes...., just been sledging on Clayton Fields with the kids, the ground underneath the snow was frozen solid. Let's remember temps dropped dramtically for a day or so before the next lot arrived so I'd wager that covers or not the ground is frozen. Had a mooch over to the ground and Sheepfoot Lane itself is quite clear apart from the footpaths, as is the roads from Chaddy Way and Rochdale Road. The Car Park however and slope at the back of the RRE etc.. are under about four inches of snow - so i'd suggest there's at least that on the pitch and in the uncovered areas of the ground - lower concourses etc...

Boxing Day? I think it'll be a day in the pub myself/party at the in laws :ranting:

if there is a winter break for me it shouldn't include the festive fixtures because traditionally they pull the biggest crowds. if they do introduce it the football league need to think about a total reform of the league system. maybe 4 divisions of 20 instead of 3 divisions of 24 or something like that.

As some have already mentioned.....when would you plan a winter break?.....the weather here is so unpredictable that you may come out of a month break ( or whatever it is ) and land slap bang in an icy spell etc where more time is lost .....Could a season be extended?....is that viable? :huh:

Nor in 1947 when this was the scene at Moorside on 6th February.

5273867678_bd82f87608_z.jpg

That season after winning 6-1 at home on New Year's Day, Latics only won once at home and twice away in the remaining 20 games. Crowds at BP dropped from 14,735 to 7,378 for the home win in the last home game of the season.

their still waiting for that bus to arrive today