WTF? Pay to be mascot v Southampton

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever next Dan? Auction to play in goals for Latics......Oh, perhaps that's already been done :wink:

If it hasn't, they probable should do it. Perhaps one where kids can compete for a place in the middle of defence by proving they can make a satisfactory backpass, too?

If you gonna do it do it for a cup game not a league fixture.

Apologies if I upset the Alan Hardy supporters foundation with my previous post, apart from Corney, Nigel the gk coach and Gordon didnt know anyone else at the club! if you know the person responsible answers on a post card please! :grin:

Fair enough! As a Saddleworthian (albeit one that left 30 years ago) I'm well aware of the history. My Dad came from what one might consider to be a typical Oldham background. When he was 18 he made it his goal to be able to buy a house in Saddleworth and worked very hard to get there. There are plenty of inverse snobs who think that everyone in Saddleworth lives some sort of gilded existence; many of them on Oldham council <_<

Good for your Dad.

I would have loved to move to Saddleworth twenty years or so ago. It just seems too crowded now though.

It'd be somewhat hypocritical of me to be one of those inverse snobs - living in Wilmslow. :grin:

Edited by garcon

Wide open question for anybody to answer.

From the "normal" BB experience through to charging for it.

The 'normal' BB experience is usually 1 mascot per game. Picked out at the 2 parties held each season. I think the reason it's restricted to one mascot per game is that a) it's always been done like that, B) you have to be a member of BB to be a mascot and frankly there probably aren't enough members to have multiples of mascots like they do at say England games etc.

When kids join BB part of the deal is that they get the chance to be a mascot. The way it's set up at the moment is that they are the only one on that particular day at any given game. I don't think it's very fair that when they've waited patiently and hoped hat their name comes out in the draw, they then have to 'share' the experience with other kids. For me, the reward for the kid should be that they are the centre of attention just for that hour or two.

In essence I have absolutley no objection whatsoever if the club wants to auction off additional mascot places, but it should be made clear to BB staff and memebrs that there might be more than one mascot, and not just sprung on them as it so often is.

Ok, I am replying with my Boundary Blues hat on!!

I had been made aware of mascot auction this morning, before the news was put on the website. So, yes, we had been told in advance however, as I also have a full time job to do I had not seen the email and didn't know anything about it until I received a phone call.

The mascot place is being auctioned purely to try and make some additional revenue for the club.

Boundary Blues members are all given the chance to be mascots. The mascot draws take place twice a year at the parties and we are aware that every child cannot attend every party, therefore you DO NOT have to attend parties to be picked out. We draw one mascot per game but, in some circumstances we end up with more than one for instance 3 brothers were picked out at the recent party to do 3 separate games, they are now all going to do the same game thus freeing up 2 games for other members.

The reason we only choose 1 per game is we'd like that child to feel special, it's their day. If we had 11 mascots then we wouldn't be able to take them all around the dressing room, take them to see the ref, have a little tour behind the scenes and have a photo taken with their favourite player.

Any questions, just yell!!

Whatever next Dan? Auction to play in goals for Latics......Oh, perhaps that's already been done :wink:

.............and the winner of the Goal Keeping Auction is 20 year old Ben Amos from Salford. Ben's favourite player is (not) Ruben Hazell. Congratulations Ben.

It would seem that the BB staff don't know anything about it, and already have their own mascot who was picked out of one of the draws at the end of season or Christmas parties. Looks like another masot and BB member will be sharing his/her experience with another child (as did my daughter at the Orient game this season) after somebody has paid for the 'privilege'...................

One through BB (which I would assume only a small % of members would actually get the chance to do) and one through auction each game seems a reasonable thing to do.

Some parents can afford to bid / pay for their child to be the mascot, some can't (or won't) ... best of both worlds and a reflection on how things work in in todays world !!!

Although I think it should be an honour to run out with the team.... not a privilege you should be paying for.

Because as the chief executive of the club, Alan is responsible for the day to day running of the club. I would imagine something like this will have had to be ok'd by him before being announced.

Where I work we have a Chief Executive Officer and also a Chief Operating Officer.

The Chief Operating Officer is responsible for the day to day

As are the Heads of Department.

I suspect that given the size of Latics, it is the likes of Lois that are responsible day to day.

Not picking on here, just showing that there are people responsible day to day.

Alan gets involved because he cares, which I full admit is my opinion from afar having only dealt with him on brief occcaisions.

Edited by singe

Meh! This is a rearranged game is it not. I can't remember when it was rearranged, but it might have been after the BB xmas party. I actually applaud the club for having drawn for the priveledge rather than charge for it for so long. When I was mascot in the Prem days (Tottenham at hom Dec92, won 2-1 with a last minute Ian Olney goal) some clubs were already charging for the honour, now most clubs have more than one mascot (I think at a West Ham game they had 11), presumably all paying.

Maybe the original mascot can't make it, thanks to the rearrangement, or another reason. Just because its on sale doesn't mean that someone has bid for it. The club are probably trying it out. I can't see it being a permanent thing- as we don't have the fan base and some of our fans struggle to pay £20 for a game.

It doesn't look good but frankly let's wait for all the facts to emmerge before jumping down AH's throat (its his problem).