last time we had the cameras at BP

He was an excellent player for Oldham? :shock: No chance matey, I remember him saying when he signed he wanted to get 25 goals a season. Don''t think he got that in 4 seasons! Too inconsistent for me and injury prone. on his day he was Excellent but that was a Thursday we usually played on a Saturday! :grin:

17 goals in 53 League starts

Overall inc sub appearances 23 goals in 90 appearances

(Out of a possible 193 games between August '02 and Jan '06)

Edited by oafcprozac

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the Prem days live LEAGUE matches at BP (bear with me off the top of my head)

08-09

Leeds D1-1

03-04

Port Vale W2-1

97-98

Bristol City L1-2

96-97

Palace L0-1

95-96

Tranmere L1-2

Port Vale D2-2

94-95

Tranmere D0-0

Didn't we also play Wigan at home on a Friday night at BP around 1998? I don't mean the away one where Dux scored the winner, but I definitely recall a Friday night game against Wigan at home. Thought that was televised.

Didn't we also play Wigan at home on a Friday night at BP around 1998? I don't mean the away one where Dux scored the winner, but I definitely recall a Friday night game against Wigan at home. Thought that was televised.

Nope, that's the Brizzle game you're thinking of, supposed to be televised on Friday 6th March, monsoon ensued and called off played three weeks later on a Tuesday, still live on Sky lost 2-1 despite taking the lead through a Matthew Rush rocket (I kid ye not!) but Brizzle scored two in a minute to win. We did play Wigan on a Friday night but that was the season after (but still in '98 - October) Warne and Barlow scoring 2 of their 3 (Forrest Gump and Rat Boy scoring for us) in a 3-2 win for the Plastic Latics.

Edited by oafcprozac

Since the Prem days live LEAGUE matches at BP (bear with me off the top of my head)

08-09

Leeds D1-1

03-04

Port Vale W2-1

97-98

Bristol City L1-2

96-97

Palace L0-1

95-96

Tranmere L1-2

Port Vale D2-2

94-95

Tranmere D0-0

ah the days of the Granda Match live, or to put it another way "who are Tranmere Rovers playing this week", one time we were meant to be playing Bolton at home in 1995 when Bolton were heading for the Premiership but instead they opted for Tranmere against Grimsby instead

ah the days of the Granda Match live, or to put it another way "who are Tranmere Rovers playing this week", one time we were meant to be playing Bolton at home in 1995 when Bolton were heading for the Premiership but instead they opted for Tranmere against Grimsby instead

Tranmere TV headed by Elton 'I love Ian Muir' Welsby, what a crock of :censored:e that was. We were on home and away in 94/95 v the Bin Dippers. We were live for the 1-0 robbery at Stoke though which was fantastic! (The second 1-0 robbery at Stoke that year (1994)

Tranmere TV headed by Elton 'I love Ian Muir' Welsby, what a crock of :censored:e that was. We were on home and away in 94/95 v the Bin Dippers. We were live for the 1-0 robbery at Stoke though which was fantastic! (The second 1-0 robbery at Stoke that year (1994)

The keeper made a massive cock up and McCarthy put it into an empty net? Happy days

Didn't Chris Makin score a bit of a stonker in that game?

After Burgess' header hit the bar...

Ah yes indeed it was. See the big lump could do something useful........even though most of it was down to Eyres anticipation. Remember watching that at uni in a pub in Bath with the sound off. The pub was pretty quiet that night until i let out a massive cheer when we scored. Happy days!

Ah yes indeed it was. See the big lump could do something useful........even though most of it was down to Eyres anticipation. Remember watching that at uni in a pub in Bath with the sound off. The pub was pretty quiet that night until i let out a massive cheer when we scored. Happy days!

Reminds me of when we played Kings Lynn in the FAC, spent a good half-hour trying to find a pub in Temple Bar showing the game - much to the wife's indifference! Wasn't too busy but a cafe bar had it on again with the sound off - thought I was the only Latic in there until Chris Hall scored, surreal experience jumping around with a stranger in Ireland!!!

He was an excellent player for Oldham? :shock: No chance matey, I remember him saying when he signed he wanted to get 25 goals a season. Don''t think he got that in 4 seasons! Too inconsistent for me and injury prone. on his day he was Excellent but that was a Thursday we usually played on a Saturday! :grin:

I never said he was excellent for us - I think he is an excellent player in general, he was dreadfully injury prone which never really allowed him to build up a head of steam - on one of the few occasions he did so he ended up taking a club record.

At the end of the day we're talking about a player who has gone on to play in the Champions League and a World Cup - say what you want about the relative calibre of side he was playing for in said competitions but he's a helluva lot better than the usual crop of :censored:e we've had up front in the last thirteen or whatever years in this division.

I never said he was excellent for us - I think he is an excellent player in general, he was dreadfully injury prone which never really allowed him to build up a head of steam - on one of the few occasions he did so he ended up taking a club record.

At the end of the day we're talking about a player who has gone on to play in the Champions League and a World Cup - say what you want about the relative calibre of side he was playing for in said competitions but he's a helluva lot better than the usual crop of :censored:e we've had up front in the last thirteen or whatever years in this division.

But he didn't! He was two games away from even equalling said record...

Yeah, we were winning 1-0 (wearing the Umbro Orange and Navy kit) then they hit back and we lost 3-1, with Malkin, Muir and Ged Brannan getting his customary goal against us...

at the time that Tranmere team used to do my head in, they never used to beat us convincingly, after the game we lost 2-1 which was on Granada and all I could hear were the Tranmere fans singing "4 times, we've beaten Oldham 4 times......."

But he didn't! He was two games away from even equalling said record...

Alright, thought he'd tied it. Just looked it up and he got 10 goals in 6 games. The point stands - given a run in the side he had the ability to score goals - his problem was he couldn't keep fit. His injury proneness has nothing to do with his talent, as has been shown by the fact he's continued to play at a high level of football and in the world's premier domestic and international competitions. All that too despite continuing injury difficulties - there's plenty of players who wouldn't be given as many chances with that record but evidently others see something in him too.

Alright, thought he'd tied it. Just looked it up and he got 10 goals in 6 games. The point stands - given a run in the side he had the ability to score goals - his problem was he couldn't keep fit. His injury proneness has nothing to do with his talent, as has been shown by the fact he's continued to play at a high level of football and in the world's premier domestic and international competitions. All that too despite continuing injury difficulties - there's plenty of players who wouldn't be given as many chances with that record but evidently others see something in him too.

He got about 30 seconds as a sub for a few Celtic games, they didn't play him when they had a :censored:load of injuries and none of the other forwards could hit a cow's arse with a banjo. He has had two good spells in his career, one when he was coming to the end of his contract with us, the other at Hibs. Overall he has been fairly mediocre.

I think you'd have to be pretty clueless not to agree with the fact that Killen was pretty decent when fit and more than adequate for a team at the top end of the league. Sadly, his frequent injuries and his price tag, then add in his bonuses and it has clouded people's judgement of when he actually did play.

Oh and if you look further up in this thread i've posted the stats for you from his run and in dirct comparison with Stitch's record gaining run in January/February 1990 :wink: