Overheard in the main stand

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pav's "once a side like Charlton come knocking, you have to go" dream move as now turned sour, well apart from his wages one would suspect. At least the guy who bought him has now paid the price for his failings and who realised he'd bought a pup in the over weight, unfit Abbott. So now gets another chance with Powell. Personally I don't think Pav would have stood a chance here with the way Dickov wants his players to perform anyway. Technically Pav is superior to Tonk in skill and shooting currently but isn't a patch on Tonks strengths which have been highlighted higher up the thread.

At 19 he has hardly been in the game long enough to have sustained any serious injuries, it would need to be reviewed again in a few years.

Abbotts only 28 , I could understand a 34 year old striker struggling with injury after years of kicks but not a lad who should be in his so called prime

Abbotts only 28 , I could understand a 34 year old striker struggling with injury after years of kicks but not a lad who should be in his so called prime

I'm not trying to argue Abbotts fitness record, he clearly does have fitness issues.

What I was saying is that Tounkara's goals to games ratio at this point does not make him a better goalscorer than Abbott IMO, but he is very young and if he fulfills his potential then he could become a good player and a good goalscorer.

They are different players with different attributes, but at this point I would say that Abbott is the more natural goalscorer.

I'm not trying to argue Abbotts fitness record, he clearly does have fitness issues.

What I was saying is that Tounkara's goals to games ratio at this point does not make him a better goalscorer than Abbott IMO, but he is very young and if he fulfills his potential then he could become a good player and a good goalscorer.

They are different players with different attributes, but at this point I would say that Abbott is the more natural goalscorer.

true , do agree that its hard to compare a 19 yr old rookie with a provebn player , Im in the camp of liking a trier and Tounkaras effort makes him more of an assett IMO

Whilst I understand the comparison between Tonks and Abbott I feel that Abbott may well have scored a damn sight more goals playing in this seasons team under Paul Dickov rather than playing in a 9-1-1 formation under Penney. Comparing the two players is irrelevant due to the totally different emphasis of the two managers.

Whilst I understand the comparison between Tonks and Abbott I feel that Abbott may well have scored a damn sight more goals playing in this seasons team under Paul Dickov rather than playing in a 9-1-1 formation under Penney. Comparing the two players is irrelevant due to the totally different emphasis of the two managers.

Except Abbott would never be able to play effectively in Dickov's side. Completely the wrong style of player.

Except Abbott would never be able to play effectively in Dickov's side. Completely the wrong style of player.

Hmmm not sure, he would play almost exactly the same role as Feeney, holding the ball up and feeding wingers / midfield whne they can support. This is an areas that Abbott would outstrip Tonks in no problem. I think Pav

Personally I really like Tonks, he's just so enthusiastic! He brings a buzz to the ground when he gets the ball.

Hmmm not sure, he would play almost exactly the same role as Feeney, holding the ball up and feeding wingers / midfield whne they can support. This is an areas that Abbott would outstrip Tonks in no problem. I think Pav

Personally I really like Tonks, he's just so enthusiastic! He brings a buzz to the ground when he gets the ball.

So shall we say that we would prefer Pav over Feeney but prefer Tonk to both of them

I enjoyed the build up to Morais' goal on Saturday, as Tonk held the ball up & waited to lay it off to Morais the Brentford defender (who was a pretty tall lad himself) repeatedly bumped into Tonk without ever having a sniff. It was like watching a giraffe try to tackle an elephant