Corney interview on LP

I'll repost this from the other thread that was started at the same time:

Firstly, can't help but wonder if the purpose was to make SC look really small. To begin we are presented with an on screen Gordon (taking full advantage of the widescreen camera) then cut a zoomed out Simon sitting on a chair. Nice contrast.

Secondly, did I here him correctly when he said (to paraphrase) "a player who earns £12-13 hundred per week (and we had quite a few of them) would cost in the region of £30-40 thousand to pay off"?

That is more than the contract could possibly have been worth. How in the hell can he justify paying them so much and how have we benefited by paying them off?

Edited by PhilStarbucksSilkySkills

Firstly, can't help but wonder if the purpose was to make SC look really small. To begin we are presented with an on screen Gordon (taking full advantage of the widescreen camera) then cut a zoomed out Simon sitting on a chair. Nice contrast.

Secondly, did I here him correctly when he said (to paraphrase) "a player who earns £12-13 hundred per week (and we had quite a few of them) would cost in the region of £30-40 thousand to pay off"?

That is more than the contract could possibly have been worth. How in the hell can he justify paying them so much and how have we benefited by paying them off?

When you look that all (apart from Lomax) appear to have walked into other contracts. But I like the interview. Think he shouldve said get your arses down you mardy sods to the stay away fans.

I think the most likely scenario is that we agreed to pay a % of their wages until they got themselves fixed up with a new club. In the case of Worthy, Holdsworth, Purdie etc they got sorted out straight away so they are off the books. After all its in the interest of both parties to make any potential move as smooth as possible.

will have to listen again now i thought he said 3-4 thousand to pay off

Taylor didnt want to leave

Blackpool made a bid for him about 3 week ago

Blitz and Gazal defo have nothing to do with the club anymore

hoping to hear off Charlie Parker about the new stadium tomorrow

Bit more of a detailed summary if I may

Board have worked incredibly hard to juggle the finances

Players left over from last season FINALLY realised they need to be playing to get a deal next season

Bear in mind many of those players were on around £12-1300 a week - and we HAVE to pay them off - cost us in the region of £30-40k each to get rid of :shock: but still left enough in the budget to wheel and deal - wasn't cheap.

Blitz and Gazal have severed all ties with the club but Blitz is still interested in the team's results but no financial input whatsoever

Pleased with the quality we have brought in - very excited about Reid. Very happy and PD is

Scunny were negotiating after a poor initial offer, by the end they were offering quite a substantial amount. Never spoke to Chris himself, left it up to PD, Chris wasn't interested so he's staying - although it was difficult for the club to reject such a good offer

Living day to day, tough but keeping squad together was paramount

Genuine belief we can achieve something

Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul but getting by - SC suffering massively with the financial burden but just has to get on with it

Council should be coming back this week (but don't hold your breath)

Trying to be careful with transactions

Pure quality but not many under contract for next season but options on two or three

Reasonable position IF we can get through the season (but somehow he will find a way)

Good future, as long as we live within our means and PD agrees - money doesn't guarantee success just look at Sheff Wed, Charlton, Peterborough, MK Dons etc - double our budget but we're above them and if was Chairman of them he'd be worried!

Can't stress enough credit to the management team and board

Hopes we'll be there or thereabouts and if we need more players in we'll delve into the loan market - although not sure how we'll pay for them!

Muted plea for more fans to come down and support the team

Good interview, I appreciate his honesty

Edited by oafcprozac

will have to listen again now i thought he said 3-4 thousand to pay off

Defo £30-40 thousand he said. The mind boggles. There has to be a rational explanation for this. It just doesn't add up. None of them will have had much more than 5 months left of £1200 per week.

Defo £30-40 thousand he said. The mind boggles. There has to be a rational explanation for this. It just doesn't add up. None of them will have had much more than 5 months left of £1200 per week.

Isn't there a standard loyalty bonus for seeing out your contract? And if you're contracted until the 30th June a player paid off on say Friday last week is contracted for a further 22 weeks x £1200 = £26,400 even accounting for a 'loyalty' bonus would we pay the full whack?

can't listen to it, blocked at work.

Would 30-40,000 be a total for all the players paid off?

he said each!!! :shock: BUt still left enough in the budget to wheel and deal - of course not all of would have been on 12-1300 a week.

Greegs definitely

Purdie possibly

Worthington possibly

Holdsworth possibly

Jacobson not so sure

Jarrett - no imo

Kelly - no imo

Fleming - definitely

Lomax - unlikely

Floszman - no

Fodor - no

So we've spent upwards of £200k + paid signing on fees , Jesus H Christ have we took out :censored:loads of loans with Wonga.com, cashed in our gold and sold all the player' cars to We Buy Any Car?????

can't listen to it, blocked at work.

Would 30-40,000 be a total for all the players paid off?

That wasn't the impression he gave

Isn't there a standard loyalty bonus for seeing out your contract? And if you're contracted until the 30th June a player paid off on say Friday last week is contracted for a further 22 weeks x £1200 = £26,400 even accounting for a 'loyalty' bonus would we pay the full whack?

Never heard of the loyalty bonus. Besides, they didn't see out their contract did they? And they nearly all had clubs lined up. Should have been a straight free transfer.

I can understand the players wanting the pay difference to be met in full by Latics. If for instance Worthington was on £1300 here and Bradford offered him £700 for the rest of the season then we should be paying off the remaining £600. 22 weeks x £600 = £13200. Paying him anything more than that is inexcusable as far as I can see.

Exactly. If he had said £20000-£30000 each I could have understood it, because he said that they had negotiated deals with the players and saved money in order to invest in the new players. Can't work it out

Bit more of a detailed summary if I may

Board have worked incredibly hard to juggle the finances

Players left over from last season FINALLY realised they need to be playing to get a deal next season

Bear in mind many of those players were on around £12-1300 a week - and we HAVE to pay them off - cost us in the region of £30-40k each to get rid of :shock: but still left enough in the budget to wheel and deal - wasn't cheap.

Blitz and Gazal have severed all ties with the club but Blitz is still interested in the team's results but no financial input whatsoever

Pleased with the quality we have brought in - very excited about Reid. Very happy and PD is

Scunny were negotiating after a poor initial offer, by the end they were offering quite a substantial amount. Never spoke to Chris himself, left it up to PD, Chris wasn't interested so he's staying - although it was difficult for the club to reject such a good offer

Living day to day, tough but keeping squad together was paramount

Genuine belief we can achieve something

Borrowing from Peter to pay Paul but getting by - SC suffering massively with the financial burden but just has to get on with it

Council should be coming back this week (but don't hold your breath)

Trying to be careful with transactions

Pure quality but not many under contract for next season but options on two or three

Reasonable position IF we can get through the season (but somehow he will find a way)

Good future, as long as we live within our means and PD agrees - money doesn't guarantee success just look at Sheff Wed, Charlton, Peterborough, MK Dons etc - double our budget but we're above them and if was Chairman of them he'd be worried!

Can't stress enough credit to the management team and board

Hopes we'll be there or thereabouts and if we need more players in we'll delve into the loan market - although not sure how we'll pay for them!

Muted plea for more fans to come down and support the team

Good interview, I appreciate his honesty

Who's Peter?...

Also, wasn't it stated when it was announced the Blitz and Gazal were servering ties that the budget for this season was already agreed and put into place prior to their announcement? In which case their cash was already in place for this season according to the figure's they guessed would be required. Given that the income into the club cannot be anywhere near what was expected prior to the season starting, is now why the praise is indeed waranted on ALL the board and it's allies. I must admit I am amazed at the club's resistance to selling Taylor, I really am. That said Taylor didn't want to go, so made no difference to what Scunny got up to!.