Fat Tax

oafc0000

Brilliant idea. Get paying fatty.

In fact, in Pamplona there is a ritual "Running of the Bull", in Oldham Town centre we should have an annual "Running of the Fat :censored:" where fat 'uns are selected by a panel of local people and chased through the streets by psychotic Doberman Pinschers. Watch the fat pounds fall off.

Brilliant! Not sure the mods will approve of ur language but I like the idea! I think fatties should pay double for the space they take up. Ever been on a plane and had a fat bloke take up 30% of ur seat as well as ur own? Happened to me, I whined like a bitch to the stewardess about it and got myself a better seat. However, if it had been full I'd have had to put up with it. Bet he wouldn't have paid 30% of my fare! Bring on the dobermans....

Brilliant! Not sure the mods will approve of ur language but I like the idea! I think fatties should pay double for the space they take up. Ever been on a plane and had a fat bloke take up 30% of ur seat as well as ur own? Happened to me, I whined like a bitch to the stewardess about it and got myself a better seat. However, if it had been full I'd have had to put up with it. Bet he wouldn't have paid 30% of my fare! Bring on the dobermans....

One thing I don't like about airlines, is if excess baggage is because of the extra weight, why does it only apply to baggage and not to passengers? A 60kg person with 5kg of excess baggage gets charged more than a 100 kg person with no excess baggage.

If its due to weight, as airlines claim, then logic suggests it should be the other way round.

To get back on to the original topic, what about stuff like Cake-shops, or Greggs, or anywhere that sells unhealthy food? Focusing on "take-aways," only focuses on one particular aspect of take-aways- the fact they are open late at night.

But then again when you elect a public-health expert as your MP I think you can expect this sort of thing.

NOTE I admire the sentiment but sentiment never got anything done. If you are going to do this, you can do it a lot better.

One thing I don't like about airlines, is if excess baggage is because of the extra weight, why does it only apply to baggage and not to passengers? A 60kg person with 5kg of excess baggage gets charged more than a 100 kg person with no excess baggage.

If its due to weight, as airlines claim, then logic suggests it should be the other way round.

To get back on to the original topic, what about stuff like Cake-shops, or Greggs, or anywhere that sells unhealthy food? Focusing on "take-aways," only focuses on one particular aspect of take-aways- the fact they are open late at night.

But then again when you elect a public-health expert as your MP I think you can expect this sort of thing.

NOTE I admire the sentiment but sentiment never got anything done. If you are going to do this, you can do it a lot better.

It'll be great fun when they transfer responsibility for public health from nhs to local authority in a couple of years.

Surely the state already collects this sort of tax via VAT on takeaway food.

As ever, the big chains such as McDonalds will benefit - £1k to them is an hour's trading - the bloke who had considered investing his redundacy money in a new enterprise might as well not bother as £1k will be a siginficant hit on his limited means.

It's time those who run the country realise that more red tape and more charges on small business totally undermine the economy and economic recovery.

Why are all politicians idiots?

I'm pretty sure this is proposal is unique to Oldham, and a product of a snobbery (with its attendant ignorance) that is also unique to Oldham.

Basically, the councillors have decided that poor people also tend more to be fat people, so takeaway food, which is of course the staple diet of the poor, must be responsible. Weird.

I went to a kebab shop in Royton - I had chicken shish on naan, which consisted of marinated grilled chicken, salad, bread and yoghurt sauce. What's unhealthy about that? Why should it be subject to a fat tax?

The fact is that the money raised won't be hypothecated at all. None of it will be spent on public health. They can say it's a fat tax all they like, but it's really a stuck-up arsehole tax.

I just thought the whole thing made Oldham look bad from the outside looking in... Does nothing for the towns image...

That's what we elect our councillors to do!

:grin:

(By the way, there are regulations that ban the advertising of cheese to children because of its fat content ... fat in take, preferably natural, is an essential part of a balanced diet. Far better to have a chunk of cheese than a bag of crisps).

Ever been on a plane and had a fat bloke take up 30% of ur seat as well as ur own? Happened to me, I whined like a bitch to the stewardess about it and got myself a better seat.

That was you, was it?

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I've never felt so embarrassed as when the Ryanair stewardess said "Oi fatso! I've had to move the guy who was next to you 'cos your elbows keep resting in his prawn cocktail. If you need a seat to yourself, can I suggest the toilet, where you can have the whole cubicle for just a quid extra?"

Well at least I had the last laugh. You left your peanuts in the seatback pocket!

Bloody fattist!