Simon Corney has stark news for Latics Fans!

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My way of viewing this is that Simon Corney is looking to embarrass the council and to provoke a reaction from them. We have seen him make this kind of statement in the past.

We need to get everybody to Boundary Park tomorrow, to show support for the manager and to show that there is a real, passionate desire for a professional team in the town of Oldham.

Agree with both your points, encouraging to read that Simon states he WILL NOT put us into admin…read into that what you will, but that is the one scrap of positiveness.

Get past his obvious exasperation and there's a sense of still looking for a solution and way forward.

Agree, the Chron as I predicted yesterday in conversations were bound to take the sensationalist approach. Rightly or wrongly Simon is an emotional guy and I don't blame him for his reaction in the slightest...

Edited by oafcprozac

On top of what macca posted

- Groundshare with rochdale remains an option but is unlikely

- The club are preparing a damning dossier and depending on what happens in the next 48 hours, are preparing to go public with a complete dossier of the mess

- Have the minutes of every meeting, decisions and promises made going back four or five years.

- Still waiting to hear the views of Charlie Parker

- Charity comission's report is a 'scathing' attack on the way the council dealt with the plans

- The council did not consider the impact of a 20 million pound stadium on the value of the land

- Batye said this has set the stadium plans back 18 months to 2 years

- Cllr Jim McMahon lays the blame firmly at the councils door, as genuine concerns were 'laughed at'

So what apears to have happened here (in my opinion) is that Latics wanted to redevelop Boundary Park either where it is now or on land adjacent (Clayton Playing Fields or the Car Park on the Lookers Stand side). The Council seems to have preferred the club to move to make way for more housing including for key hospital workers and of course the increased income from Council Tax. People would be less put off travelling to Failsworth every other weekend for a few hours than they would if they had to move there to live. A traffic survey was commissioned as a way of blocking this, and Latics being incumbent on the land appears to have led to a deal being done whereby the £20m earmarked for redeveloping BP gets transferred to a lower quality site in Failsworth in return for an easy ride being guaranteed by the Council. Then it transpires (AFTER the Lancaster Land has been bought for £3m) that there is ANOTHER charity claim to the land as was the case with Clayton. The Council say, don't worry, we'll get the land transferred - and then totally cock up the application. Now the £3m is worth £1.8m and Mr Corney and Latics have MORE bills to pay if we change our plans back to redeveloping BP plus they are left with egg on their faces.

Now, I may be completely off the mark with these wild and unsubstantiated thoughts as to what may have happened, but my only hope now is that Simon Corney means "Right, I've had enough of changing my plans to accomodate the Council. I am now going to close down BP next season and we will ground share with Rochdale or Bury. The new SportsPark 3000 (sorry, couldn't resist) will open its doors to what could be Premier League football the season after"

:pray:

I still don't see what the difference is between a £20m stadium at BP to a £20m stadium in Failsworth.

So what apears to have happened here (in my opinion) is that Latics wanted to redevelop Boundary Park either where it is now or on land adjacent (Clayton Playing Fields or the Car Park on the Lookers Stand side). The Council seems to have preferred the club to move to make way for more housing including for key hospital workers and of course the increased income from Council Tax. People would be less put off travelling to Failsworth every other weekend for a few hours than they would if they had to move there to live. A traffic survey was commissioned as a way of blocking this, and Latics being incumbent on the land appears to have led to a deal being done whereby the £20m earmarked for redeveloping BP gets transferred to a lower quality site in Failsworth in return for an easy ride being guaranteed by the Council. Then it transpires (AFTER the Lancaster Land has been bought for £3m) that there is ANOTHER charity claim to the land as was the case with Clayton. The Council say, don't worry, we'll get the land transferred - and then totally cock up the application. Now the £3m is worth £1.8m and Mr Corney and Latics have MORE bills to pay if we change our plans back to redeveloping BP plus they are left with egg on their faces.

Now, I may be completely off the mark with these wild and unsubstantiated thoughts as to what may have happened, but my only hope now is that Simon Corney means "Right, I've had enough of changing my plans to accomodate the Council. I am now going to close down BP next season and we will ground share with Rochdale or Bury. The new SportsPark 3000 (sorry, couldn't resist) will open its doors to what could be Premier League football the season after"

:pray:

I still don't see what the difference is between a £20m stadium at BP to a £20m stadium in Failsworth.

A big chunk of prime real estate right next the motorway network….

Edited by oafcprozac

Sounds to me a real overhaul of the council needs to happen. It's a downright disgraceful the way this has finished and the council need to take full responsibility for the whole mess, included what happens now going forward.

Would it really change anything of the old council went and new brought in still be the same :censored:e another day :S

Agree, the Chron as I predicted yesterday in conversations were bound to take the sensationalist approach. Rightly or wrongly Simon is an emotional guy and I don't blame him for his reaction in the slightest...

that makes 2 of you

i think you must be an emotional guy aswell

Sounds to me a real overhaul of the council needs to happen. It's a downright disgraceful the way this has finished and the council need to take full responsibility for the whole mess, included what happens now going forward.

There's no stomach to make it happen though Jamie, people only come up with problems never solutions. Depending on which route the club take, I think we should be considering seriously putting candidates up in EVERY local ward...