Areas for a New Stadium in Oldham

If I'd have been paying attention; then probably yeah.... :grin:

sorry mate but the site your on about the old tip is now the new tip and in the process of being built is a state of the art recycling centre....

however the other side of the street,which backs onto middleton road is full of the old platts buildings and some other mish mash of smaller units and is quite a large site...wether that is worth investigating i dont know...but it is deemed as industrial area so not sure how you would go about that...

just had a thought (cue pisstakes) the land opposite to lancaster club on the other side of broadway is council owned i think,no allotments on it and not trustee land...from what i remember of it going back,it used to be just derelict and full of sand hills and that,where we used to go bmxing and others used scrambler bikes...runs right up the canal and train track other side...now that might be worth a shout....think you can get to it the other side of morrisons....or the other one is where ferrantis used to be on wickentree lane

Edited by edhunteruk

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry mate but the site your on about the old tip is now the new tip and in the process of being built is a state of the art recycling centre....

however the other side of the street,which backs onto middleton road is full of the old platts buildings and some other mish mash of smaller units and is quite a large site...wether that is worth investigating i dont know...but it is deemed as industrial area so not sure how you would go about that...

just had a thought (cue pisstakes) the land opposite to lancaster club on the other side of broadway is council owned i think,no allotments on it and not trustee land...from what i remember of it going back,it used to be just derelict and full of sand hills and that,where we used to go bmxing and others used scrambler bikes...runs right up the canal and train track other side...now that might be worth a shout....think you can get to it the other side of morrisons....or the other one is where ferrantis used to be on wickentree lane

if you go from opposite the Lancaster club you hit what we called 'the white stuff' that goes across to Hale Lane on the New Moston border then across from there again you have land which takes you to the canal and then up to Morrisons. Not sure how feasable the land on the opposite side of broadway is though and I would imagine that there would be enough room however it may run into Manchester territory?

Edited by Haribo_man

So did my Dad, served as an apprentice there, then carried on and worked for them until a couple of months before it finally went belly up.

He told me once that the site was so big in its pomp that it had it’s own railway line to carry machinery / parts & people around the site.....

I know there are business units on parts of the site now, but surely there is some ‘wiggle room’ on an area so large for re-locating etc.....

I served my apprenticeship there too......also left before it went belly up.

greenbelt...not a hope in hell.......and at 10 acres far too small for even just a stadium i think.

It's doing nothing and likely never will, and I thought green belt land could be used in special circumstances ?

10 acres is ok for a stadium, but not on the grand scale Latics envisaged at Failsworth.

As for access I'm not sure about that, but at £250,000 it's maybe worth investigating.

farmid.jpg

Edited by BP1960

no

Simon corney stated at the 2nd consultation at Radcliffe you will not get planning permission on a site of 10 acres or less for a stadium

How many acres is Chesterfields ?h

I have been to Yeovil's new ground and theres nothing except a stadium there, that has got to be less than 10 acres.

Many current stadiums cover far less than 10 acres, just look at Rochdale's, and they seem to manage.

Edited by BP1960

It's doing nothing and likely never will, and I thought green belt land could be used in special circumstances ?

10 acres is ok for a stadium, but not on the grand scale Latics envisaged at Failsworth.

As for access I'm not sure about that, but at £250,000 it's maybe worth investigating.

farmid.jpg

plus the area you have just posted on the map thing is chaddy heights...so unfortunately not a chance im affraid....

10 acres..unoccupied for 10 years, £250.000, can it be considered as a site for a new stadium ?

http://www.skiptonproperty.co.uk/property_...ils.asp?id=5773

A small L shaped football ground is unusual, not sure everyone will get a good view...

Looks prone to flooding, drainage might be an issue....

To get planning permission for reseidential land not adjacent to current residential dvelopemtn means altering the local plan. Approx 10 years.

There might be quite a lot of residential objection there too

A small L shaped football ground is unusual, not sure everyone will get a good view...

Looks prone to flooding, drainage might be an issue....

To get planning permission for reseidential land not adjacent to current residential dvelopemtn means altering the local plan. Approx 10 years.

There might be quite a lot of residential objection there too

Yet another unused derelict area in Oldham then, there's a lot of waste in the town and no one with the ambition to use the space.

Edited by BP1960

Yet another unused derelict area in Oldham then, there's a lot of waste in the town and no one with the ambition to use the space.

it might be unused but it isnt a derelict space....its an old farm house in the middle of a very affluent area of chadderton....there isnt a snowballs chancve in hell of turning it into a football ground,especially as it is green belt land....

your looking in the wrong place..try industrial land brownfield sites etc....then you may stand a slight chance of doing something...

Looks a lot of land in that area though, is it all used?

chadderton heights is farm land...green belt area between chadderton and middleton...there is a unadopted road you can go down from stakehill and it takes you all the way to just outside royton,near the sewerage works..

you just wouldnt get permission in that area....

an area of chadderton im not sure about is off broadway,whitegate road i think...old mills there,and again backs on eventually to the chadderton sewerage works...that might be empty or not much there..you would have more chance there or similar

chadderton heights is farm land...green belt area between chadderton and middleton...there is a unadopted road you can go down from stakehill and it takes you all the way to just outside royton,near the sewerage works..

you just wouldnt get permission in that area....

an area of chadderton im not sure about is off broadway,whitegate road i think...old mills there,and again backs on eventually to the chadderton sewerage works...that might be empty or not much there..you would have more chance there or similar

I will leave it to you to negotiate on Latics behalf Ed :)

How many acres is Chesterfields ?h

I have been to Yeovil's new ground and theres nothing except a stadium there, that has got to be less than 10 acres.

Many current stadiums cover far less than 10 acres, just look at Rochdale's, and they seem to manage.

40 acres

according to chesterfield fishul. 8 acres for the stadium, 40 for academy, pitches etc

http://www.chesterfield-fc.co.uk/page/NewS...~184993,00.html

I keep seeing this theme on your posts BP1960, the actual pitch might be small, but the rest car parking etc needs to much bigger, and we need some things on site.

I know that the idea of developing other sites has bene floated but there seems to be a need for some of the items a footbal stadium needs

Interesting that is 2004, it still took them almost 6 years.

Edited by singe

To the south / west of heights farm, just across the railway line and north of oldham road is a decent sized site adjacent to / behind british vita. Transport links are not brilliant for road (mills hill metro would be next door though) - Middleton rd towards oldham, via greengate to chaddy, chaddy hall rd to a627m and through miggy to M60.

Oh, it's just over the border too.

Ed, is the site you mean the one behind costco / passport printers, running down alongside the canal behind most of greengate industrial estate? Looks a bit "long and thin, but might be big enough?

To the south / west of heights farm, just across the railway line and north of oldham road is a decent sized site adjacent to / behind british vita. Transport links are not brilliant for road (mills hill metro would be next door though) - Middleton rd towards oldham, via greengate to chaddy, chaddy hall rd to a627m and through miggy to M60.

Oh, it's just over the border too.

Ed, is the site you mean the one behind costco / passport printers, running down alongside the canal behind most of greengate industrial estate? Looks a bit "long and thin, but might be big enough?

yeah the site im on about is gorse street chadderton....behind light craft i think...there are a few mills down there,i know one has deffo shut down,not sure on the other one..but it runds downt to sewerage works,and there seems to be scrub land to the side as well...bang on m60 network

the one you mean in middy is behind vita off oldham road....between oldham road and the railway line...think there are,or used to be football pitches there for sunday league.not too sure if still in use....also with that one the old imperial tobacco mill is there as well,derelict too.....so could be worth a look at....far away enough from rochdale to clash as well...might have problems with the nimbys though on boarshaw which backs onto it...

Has the area at Beal Valley been looked into? Just below Sholver and up from Shaw Rd, the council had designs to build a municiple golf course on that land. I think the last plans were to build just 9 holes. Can the 9 hole course not be built along with a new stadium and all the leisure faciltys? There must be at least 60 acres of land on that site.

If someone has mentioned it before sorry for repeating.

Has the area at Beal Valley been looked into? Just below Sholver and up from Shaw Rd, the council had designs to build a municiple golf course on that land. I think the last plans were to build just 9 holes. Can the 9 hole course not be built along with a new stadium and all the leisure faciltys? There must be at least 60 acres of land on that site.

If someone has mentioned it before sorry for repeating.

Im not sure but i think it was stated that Beal Valley couldn't be used because of either poor access with transport links and what have you or it has quite a lot of potential to flood round there every year and we'd end up like Carlisle or Sheff Weds gorunds that become underwater when it rains heavy. It could of been both too tbh. Someone else can probably verify this.

I think its the same place where talking about :grin:

Edited by Oafc88

CONTROVERSIAL BUT a joint venture with Rochdale at Kingsway Bus Park off Sir issac Newton Way next to J21 less than 2k from High Crompton Park.

as much land as needed. Suggestion came from a Dale fan, joint venture??????

But Rochdale do not need a new ground. Spotland is perfectly fine as it is, and perfect for that club.