CARLISLE- THE REAL TEST OF SUPPORT

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an Asian mate who is a now lapsed Latics fan (baby on the way / new job etc) but for this promotion; i'm into his ribs to come back to BP for the £2 offer. For people like my mate; who have had to ‘lose’ Latics from their social events / leisure pastimes for financial reasons; this £2 promotion is surely the 1 game they can make?

As for the ‘full of Hooligans’ you allude to; it’s not been an issue at BP at all since he (my Asian mate) started to come watching in 2002; but we did run into some ‘scenes from the 70’s’ moments at Hull away & Colchester away a few years ago; which wasn’t pretty TBH. You should have no problems on Tuesday night from my experiences of home games at BP; so hopefully that allays your / parents fears..........

Yeah i know it's not full of hooligans, but convincing my nephews parents their are none and their kids will be fine is a different matter. I've put my wife on the case she's asian and i've took her to a few Latics games in the past so she knows the deal. I also thought i'd ask my asian bro inlaw he's a liverpool fan but never ever been to a match in his life, i thought for £2 he'd jump at the opportunity of watching live football, but no, he said it'll be too cold and he much prefers to watch his football on TV. This is what you're up against.

I know, I know, but even I'm struggling to see where 4000 extra fans are going to come from. We've just got to try and market it the best that we can, through the different media options that are available to us, on behalf of the club.

You would have a reasonable chance at a weekend game... No chance for a night game though... Too many people working / family commitments etc...

Great incentive by the club sadly i will be at work otherwise i would bee there. No excuse for the stayaways not to attend.

How about having a meeting at work until 6pm near Crawley. Can you lend me your helicopter? I'll happily pay my £2 then.

Or, maybe I can make a 7pm plane from Gatwick, have a taxi meet me at Manchester Airport around 8.15 and make it just in time for the last 30 mins. I can obviously afford all this now given my match ticket has been reduced by £18...

Of course there are excuses. Price is only one factor.

Edited by latic12345

How about having a meeting at work until 6pm near Crawley. Can you lend me your helicopter? I'll happily pay my £2 then. Or, maybe I can make a 7pm plane from Gatwick, have a taxi meet me at Manchester Airport around 8.15 and make it just in time for the last 30 mins.

Now, I think it is a great idea and all that yadda yadda yadda...

But as Latic12345 has said, on a weeknight especially its just too hard for many people to attend. I can already see we will probably get an increase of around a 1000, and then suddenly SC (and others) will be out ranting about how he shouldnt bother anymore...

This is no way a test of support (as this thread was so eloquently titled), it is a test of Oldhams marketing strategy... and uless it is joined up we are just gonna see those toys again....

Everyone who normally goes will be there and saving £18.

I've just asked two guys at work who used to go:

"You coming to the Carlisle game for £2? We're playing really well, some nice football."

"I hadn't heard about that, yeah I might actually. When is it?!

"Next Tuesday"

"Nah, not during the week."

I think a real 'experiment' would have been on a Saturday. Just my opinion like.

i agree with that. Saturday would be much better. I must admit, if i wasnt a ST holder, I probably wouldnt have gone to most tues night matches, due to work next morning, cold windy night, awful surroundings.

I know cancelled matches need to be played as soon as possible, but, they are always during winter, and usually against southern teams.January and February are also hard financially. We seem to be fighting a loosing battle to get people into BP.

Can winter not be forseen as potential cancelled matches, and try and get more matches pencilled in for early or later in the season, and leave Tues night alone during these winter months. At least then if we have to play a postponed match, on a winter Tues night, we are not facing 2 matches, every week .

...... it will be interesting to see if this will get them away from the bar.

At a time when we're all bemoaning the demise of that great British tradition, the pub, I can't believe you're advocating depriving them of much needed custom.

Shame on you.

:wink:

How about having a meeting at work until 6pm near Crawley. Can you lend me your helicopter? I'll happily pay my £2 then.

Or, maybe I can make a 7pm plane from Gatwick, have a taxi meet me at Manchester Airport around 8.15 and make it just in time for the last 30 mins. I can obviously afford all this now given my match ticket has been reduced by £18...

like someone pointed out if you have work then you fair enough but like the most of the population in oldham they dont so they have no reason.

Many debates have occurred on this and many sites about the real reason why gates have dropped at Boundary Park.

Given the £2 entry charge for the Carlisle game, it will be interesting to see if the claim that admission charges keep the gates low is indeed correct.

Last week I discussed the issues with a gang of Latics fans who lay claim to being true supporters of the club. Most had not visited this season stating that the money they had in their pockets could keep them boozing for most of the afternoon.

Given the excellent venture driven by Martin Thomas it will be interesting to see if this will get them away from the bar.

I look on with interest.

Barry

Which shows how stupid it was to knock down Clayton Arms.

Also, i know this is the wrong thread, however, Barry can you answer why the club was fine with 21 acre BP site for a £80m re-development, to suddenly needing a 30 acre site for £20m re-development?

Back on topic,

Good idea from the club and the companies supporting the idea, however a 'real test of support' would have been better against Dagenham on a saturday.