What Are You Doing?

Is it worthwhile starting fundraising again? Not necessarily to give to the club under the current ownership, but more of a fund for if the worst comes to the worst and OAFC as we know it ceases to exist. If so, and there was appetite to set up a new club, then money would be needed.

If the club does survive, the money could be used to donate to Playershare, or something similarly worthy.

I know the Trust would probably be quite keen to run this, but in the current climate I feel many fans wouldn't want to donate to them, as they'd fear it'd just end up in Blitz's pockets at the first opportunity. This alternative fund would have some very clear restrictions on when and how the money could be released.

Thoughts?

I would be keen that there is some contingency fund.

I think a lot of people supported the idea of the Trust on the Board, but were uncomfortable that all the money was thrown in.

I have to say personally, I'd be happier if any money was ring fenced for the stadium, as some sort of security for the club, actually held in Trust for example.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A march isnt the answer, and boycotting isnt either, the fact remains it is totally out of our hands.

Most sensible thing said so far.

If someone can suggest something to do which is worthwhile and would make the difference I am all ears... but I haven't heard one suggestion that is going to:

1. Fill the massive void between how much we bring in and how much we spend on players
  2. Find the £20+ million for a new stadium

All the marching, emailing sending and player share schemes aren't going to make a difference to be quite frank when the game is run in such a shocking and moronic way.

Been giving it a lot of thought today and latics ground sharing is probably the most sensible business decision to come out of the club in 30 years. Maybe now we will spend what we can afford. Its a pity it took the dip:censored:s who run this club so long to actually do such a thing. Been living off borrowed money for too long.

This isn't me saying YA! lets go ground share... Its me saying, we are now backed into a corner with little other option. Well going off what limited spun information I have anyway.

And if anyone wants to come back and say it would help if I turned up. Ill throw £20 behind the turnstile next weekend. For all the good it will do I might as well wipe my arse with it.

Edited by oafc0000

Most sensible thing said so far.

If someone can suggest something to do which is worthwhile and would make the difference I am all ears... but I haven't heard one suggestion that is going to:

1. Fill the massive void between how much we bring in and how much we spend on players
  2. Find the £20+ million for a new stadium

All the marching, emailing sending and player share schemes aren't going to make a difference to be quite frank when the game is run in such a shocking and moronic way.

Been giving it a lot of thought today and latics ground sharing is probably the most sensible business decision to come out of the club in 30 years. Maybe now we will spend what we can afford. Its a pity it took the dip:censored:s who run this club so long to actually do such a thing. Been living off borrowed money for too long.

This isn't me saying YA! lets go ground share... Its me saying, we are now backed into a corner with little other option. Well going off what limited spun information I have anyway.

And if anyone wants to come back and say it would help if I turned up. Ill throw £20 behind the turnstile next weekend. For all the good it will do I might as well wipe my arse with it.

When you were thinking about this ground share, where did you envisage it would be?

I have supported SC all the way through, I still believe he has the best interests at heart, and may still pull something out of the bag.

But I have always maintained that being tenants would be a step too far, it will slowly kill the club.

A properly purpose built proper groundshare or tentants with the money and plan I could live with, but going to Staleybridge for at least a couple of years would be a disaster.

No groundshare has lasted a short time, they have all dragged on, and that is without a bungling council "helping".

If we are tenantts under the current terms we will be there for a decade.

That is what we should of been doing for the past eight years....

You're probably right, but do you think we'd have raised a significant amount in that time? Also, only the Trust would have been able to do it (most likely), and I don't think politically they could have without the current owners being royally pissed off.

You're probably right, but do you think we'd have raised a significant amount in that time?

Over eight years ? Yes I do... The idea was floated and knocked back so it matters nothing now anyway...

Also, only the Trust would have been able to do it (most likely), and I don't think politically they could have without the current owners being royally pissed off.

I really don't know what the hell it would have to do with them...

When you were thinking about this ground share, where did you envisage it would be?

I have supported SC all the way through, I still believe he has the best interests at heart, and may still pull something out of the bag.

But I have always maintained that being tenants would be a step too far, it will slowly kill the club.

A properly purpose built proper groundshare or tentants with the money and plan I could live with, but going to Staleybridge for at least a couple of years would be a disaster.

No groundshare has lasted a short time, they have all dragged on, and that is without a bungling council "helping".

If we are tenantts under the current terms we will be there for a decade.

You can't run away from the numbers... We HAVE to do whatever we have to do to keep the lights on...

Also, only the Trust would have been able to do it (most likely), and I don't think politically they could have without the current owners being royally pissed off.

Maybe so, but you're very naive if you don't think the Trust raising funds for 'a contingency if it all goes tits up' fund on one hand, and on the other raising funds to help the club with things like Playershare, new tractors/minibuses/etc, wouldn't put the Trust board in a very difficult position.

Maybe so, but you're very naive if you don't think the Trust raising funds for 'a contingency if it all goes tits up' fund on one hand, and on the other raising funds to help the club with things like Playershare, new tractors/minibuses/etc, wouldn't put the Trust board in a very difficult position.

You made me :lol: when you just called me naive... Totally priceless...

Imagine a trust operating for the best interest of the CLUB instead of the owners... I feel "I HAVE A DREAM" speech brewing...

You made me :lol: when you just called me naive... Totally priceless...

Imagine a trust operating for the best interest of the CLUB instead of the owners... I feel "I HAVE A DREAM" speech brewing...

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the idea of a trust acting in the best interest of the club. However, the trust can't be all things to all men, and by being in bed with the owners, have gone down the path of providing support, where possible, to the owners.

Hindsight is great and indicates that this possibly wasn't the best route to go down, however we are where we are. We should now be looking forward and determining what we, as fans, can do.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for the idea of a trust acting in the best interest of the club. However, the trust can't be all things to all men, and by being in bed with the owners, have gone down the path of providing support, where possible, to the owners.

Hindsight is great and indicates that this possibly wasn't the best route to go down, however we are where we are. We should now be looking forward and determining what we, as fans, can do.

Look I have been pushing that idea for the last eight years so hindsight for me isn't an issue... I thought it was right and I think its right going forward. Although the horse has bolted and time is running out, again...

The trust can't be all things to all men and that is why, beside my initial contribution, I haven't got involved with it. We have never shared the same ideas.

We should look forward... and hence my original post in this thread... Our options are some between a rock and a hard place it would seem.

Edited by oafc0000

Look I have been pushing that idea for the last eight years so hindsight for me isn't an issue... I thought it was right and I think its right going forward. Although the horse has bolted and time is running out, again...

The trust can't be all things to all men and that is why, beside my initial contribution, I haven't got involved with it. We have never shared the same ideas.

We should look forward... and hence my original post in this thread... Our options are some between a rock and a hard place it would seem.

I do tend to skip over your posts, so must have missed you pushing this line of thought - I'll take your word for it :grin:

I've been mulling this over and the easiest way of giving to the fund is to sell your unwanted items on ebay and pass on what remains after the fees are paid.

I intend to sell off some of my old Action Men from the 1970's and some Latics home shirts plus other items I no longer need that might just add something to the kitty.

We have atleast 3,000 fans and if everyone did something like this it might just make a tiny drop in the ocean difference, can we do it? YES WE CAN!