Meeting with Alan Hardy re Replica Kits

Alright people :-)

As many of you know I have been one of the noisy critics of the Carbrini branded replica shirts since the club adopted the Carbrini brand. I have today had a meeting at the club with Alan Hardy and Guy Walker (who now works for JD/Carbrini) regarding the quality of the kits, and I raised the quality issues I had regarding the Carbrini shirts, especially the transfers.

Alan is more than happy for me to share the following with the board. One point he did make to supporters was that if anyone has problems with the kits, please take them back to the club shop to be exchanged, and make the club aware of it, so the issues can be corrected on future kits.

To clarify at this point, the following Carbrini shirts are made up as follows

- Current home shirt: Club crest embroidered onto the shirt. Main sponsor is printed, manufacturers logo and Carbrini logos are heat transfers.

- Navy/Tangerine Shirt: Club logo and manufacturer logo embroidered, shirt sponsor and Carbrini sleeve logos are heat transfers.

- 2008/2010 Home Shirt (and 2008/2009 away shirt): Club crest and manufacturer embroidered, main shirt sponsor is a heat transfer.

My main issues with the shirts were as follows.

- The poor quality of the transfers used for the Carbrini sponsors logo on the chest as well as the transfers of the Carbrini logo on the sleeves on the Navy/Tangerine shirt.

- The poor quality of the black and white sponsor transfer on the 2008/2010 home kit.

- The overuse of transfers on the existing home shirt, especially the manufacturers logo (which is normally embroidered onto the shirt) and the transfers on the sleeves.

The overall point I was trying to make was fans who spend £40 quid on a football shirt have every right to expect that it won't fall apart/transfers starting to flake etc less than 12 months after buying it, as has happened with two of my Carbrini latics shirts, and as some others have reported on here.

Guy did make a couple of valid points himself. One of which was that the replica shirts here are exactly the same as the shirts the players wear, and that having the shirt sponsor embroidered on the shirt was not ideal for the players as it felt a bit heavy compared to a print for example.

Guy also brought a range of current football shirts with him, including the current Arsenal home shirt (Nike), Leyton Orient (Puma), QPR (Lotto), Liverpool (Adidas). I will summarise the following observations:

- ALL of the shirts used a heat transfer for the sponsors logo. Some looked cheaper than others, the cheapest looking one in my opinion was the Leyton Orient one by a country mile.

- The club crests on the Nike, Adidas and Lotto shirts were not embroidered into the shirt. They were either glued on or stitched on (arsenal shirt), so if you undone the stitching that attached it to the shirt, the crest could be removed.

- I was shown the authentic players home shirt for Brazil, made by Nike, which retails at £89.99 and can be found here. The full lot was transfers, including Nike badge and brazil logo. Yet the replica shirt which retails at £45 had the brazil badge embroidered.

Whilst I did say that I personally thought the overuse of transfers on the current home shirt made it look cheap, hence why I haven't bought it, my main issue was with the quality of the transfers, and was more to do with them not flaking/peeling off after only a few washes.

Moving Forward

The design process for the shirts will begin well in advance of when they will be released. For example, the design process for the next home shirt will start October 2011, with the shirt to be released presumably in July or August of 2012. The 2008/2010 shirt was an identikit because Hillstones went bust and they needed a new shirt as a result of this and quickly (something which Alan told me at the time and reiterated again).

However, moving forward, I was assured the quality of the kits will improve. On the new away kit for next season, whilst I was not told any information regarding the dsesign or colour scheme, I was told the club crest and manufacturers logo will be embroidered into the shirt, and the shirt sponsor plus Carbrini sleeve logo's if they choose to have them, will be printed I believe (in a similar style to the sponsor on the current home shirt) as opposed to heat transfer (like the shirt sponsor and Carbrini sleeve logos on the Navy/Tangerine shirt). This should mean that it should stay on without any issues. I was given a sample of this to take home. The quality of it is superior to the transfers on the 2008/2010 home kit and the navy/tang away kit. I intend to put it in the wash a few times and it will be tested more than a cucumber in a womans prison!!!

Bearing in mind the discussions we have had on here in the past regarding the replica kits, I hope this is of some help and provides some insight and answers to people. If anyone has any other questions please feel free to ask me and I will do my best to answer them based on what was discussed.

Mrs. Prozac washes mine and the kids and is aware of the quality issue, and so far so good. Although last season's has pretty much fell apart...

As said on my post, with this seasons kit I would imagine any problems with the transfers will be with the carbrini manufacturers logo or on the sleeves, as their the bits of the kit that were done by heat transfer, which is what the problem was with. The main shirt sponsor I believe is printed on rather than transferred,so should stay on.

..On the new away kit for next season, whilst I was not told any information regarding the dsesign or colour scheme, I was told the club crest and manufacturers logo will be embroidered into the shirt, and the shirt sponsor plus Carbrini sleeve logo's if they choose to have them, will be printed I believe (in a similar style to the sponsor on the current home shirt) as opposed to heat transfer (like the shirt sponsor and Carbrini sleeve logos on the Navy/Tangerine shirt).

I love this! the club are willing to open the books to fans, take regular meetings with fans, arrange for their suppliers to meet with fans, explain catering policy, transfer policy, length of player's/manager's contracts, status of the owner's US business in relation to the dotcom bubble BUT we can't tell you the colour or design of next season's away kit. That would clearly be going too far!

Went in with the navy and tangerene shirt, and with last seasons home shirt, both less than 12 months old, the transfers on both cracked/flaking heavily (the ones on the navy and tangerene shirt completely flaked off). As I said in the post, thats what my issue was with, the crap quality of the heat transfers used on some of the shirts.

Will wait and see what the away shirt is like next season before I pass judgement on any potential improvement.

So you went in, unarmed with any facts about other shirts and came out suitably convinced that Carbrini will one day rule the world.

Turns out Guy's not bad at marketing after all

No, I went in with about eight shirts, all heavily worn, most of them latics. The two problematic shirts were the 2008/2010 home shirts and the navy/tangerene away shirt. The transfers on the home shirt is heavily cracked, whilst on the away shirt its flaked off completely. Also took with me an arsenal shirt and an everton shirt, both two years old each, both use transfers for the sponsor, both heavily work. The point is the transfers on them was of much better quality and still hasnt cracked or peeled after 2 years of heavy use.

I love this! the club are willing to open the books to fans, take regular meetings with fans, arrange for their suppliers to meet with fans, explain catering policy, transfer policy, length of player's/manager's contracts, status of the owner's US business in relation to the dotcom bubble BUT we can't tell you the colour or design of next season's away kit. That would clearly be going too far!

Punishable by stoning clearly :wink: or even worse, a season ticket for whatever team Dave Penney is in charge of.

Looks like I will have to beg for forgiveness for actually going into the club to talk to them and discuss an issue I had face to face rather than ranting aimlessly behind a keyboard :wink:

:behead:

Bought the blue home shirt when they had it on offer for £10.. hardly use it, washed it once, already started to peel away, now its just sitting in my wardrobe because i dont want to reck it..

The third kit this season is of good quality though..

Punishable by stoning clearly :wink: or even worse, a season ticket for whatever team Dave Penney is in charge of.

Looks like I will have to beg for forgiveness for actually going into the club to talk to them and discuss an issue I had face to face rather than ranting aimlessly behind a keyboard :wink:

:behead:

Self-appointed shirt guru :wink: Can't see any harm in havng a discusson about the quality issues you have found and reportng on the feedback. I do feel that this is one of the easiest win-wins for the club, if they buy the shirts that the fans want, the fans wll buy them... Post the current contract I am still intrigued by the idea Peanuts had of sourcing them locally rather than via one of the main sports suppliers. Buy the material for approximately :censored: all, have them sown up for not much more, and hey presto! a unique design with large profit margins. We have several fans with contacts in the textile/sportswear trade, and my dad worked down t'mill all his life, it's worth investigating.

The missus committed the ultimate sin of washing my shirt with a red garment which ran. The white bits are now pink resulting in a garish shirt not fit for public appearances.

On wash days I wear it to bed to remind her of her past incompetence (or incontinence can't remeber which)

Not only has my shirt blue & pink but it still contains the meat & potato pie stain from its first outing. Don't know whether they put some unnatural ingredient in the pies that is only found in the secretions of Amazonian tree frogs or that Daz adverts are only partially truthful and you may as well wash your clothes in self raising flour

good work carl.

I wear footy kits for running.

I have no idea how deals work between clubs & manufacturers & I'm sure there are lots of issues either way but personally I won't be buying an oldham kit til it's nike, adidas or umbro.

As Markoasis said not too long back, a few clubs have seemingly lost out financially big time by having Nike as their kit manufacturer. Rotherham being one, where basically most of the sales revenue went to Nike rather than the club, and their club shop was basically turned into a nike store. Or as quoted from a Rotherham fan

Just Sport Pro group [same bunch who will be taking over Bradford club shop] which is a company connected to Nike took the franchise to the clubshop and obviousy took alot of money away from the club. Also the quality of shirts were poor too. They were basic Nike templates and not good material either.Link Here

I was also told the following re Nike:

- That the lower division teams 'Nike' kits arent actually made by Nike, their made by a local company who are allowed to use the nike franchise.

- With nike, clubs get much less input into the design of the shirts and sometimes basically get told which design they are having, or a choice of templates. ALthough this point I would question as when Bradford recently announced their deal with nike, they said they were getting an 'individually designed kit' just for their use.

I am pretty sure with Latics they basically order the merchandise from Carbrini/whoever else makes it at Cost x, and sell them for price y.

As Markoasis said not too long back, a few clubs have seemingly lost out financially big time by having Nike as their kit manufacturer. Rotherham being one, where basically most of the sales revenue went to Nike rather than the club, and their club shop was basically turned into a nike store. Or as quoted from a Rotherham fan

Just Sport Pro group [same bunch who will be taking over Bradford club shop] which is a company connected to Nike took the franchise to the clubshop and obviousy took alot of money away from the club. Also the quality of shirts were poor too. They were basic Nike templates and not good material either.Link Here

I was also told the following re Nike:

- That the lower division teams 'Nike' kits arent actually made by Nike, their made by a local company who are allowed to use the nike franchise.

- With nike, clubs get much less input into the design of the shirts and sometimes basically get told which design they are having, or a choice of templates. ALthough this point I would question as when Bradford recently announced their deal with nike, they said they were getting an 'individually designed kit' just for their use.

I am pretty sure with Latics they basically order the merchandise from Carbrini/whoever else makes it at Cost x, and sell them for price y.

yeah, i can well imagine that nike, adidas and the big guys absolutely shaft the smaller clubs, so certainly not blaming ours for not taking that route. unfortunately though, the current kit manufacturer just does not do it for me, not something i'm happy wearing. well done again for getting in there and doing something positive.

yeah, i can well imagine that nike, adidas and the big guys absolutely shaft the smaller clubs, so certainly not blaming ours for not taking that route. unfortunately though, the current kit manufacturer just does not do it for me, not something i'm happy wearing. well done again for getting in there and doing something positive.

No worries

Some people have had no issues with the carbrini kits, some people have.

I was told that the next away shirt for next season will have an embroidered club badge, will also have carbrini embroidered onto it, with the shirt sponsor printed onto it rather than heat transfer. On the sample of this that guy give to me, it stretches with the material so it wont have the cracking/flaking issues that the heat transfers have.

May as well make the best of what we do have whilst we have it.