Unacceptable 2nd half performance!

What a cave in!.....totally unacceptable!....dreadful tracking from midfield, terrible marking,players who couldn't trap a bag of cement,second to every ball...need i go on?

We never looked like troubling the keeper....all in all a really bad day at the office!.............And breathe..

The first three were very poor defensively. Fourth was a lucky deflection and the fifth was a sweet finish after we'd actually defended a corner properly!

I do think we need to get back to basics though. Morais, White and Taylor give us a lot of skill going forwards, but the likes of Jones and Alessandra seemed to give us a little bit more solidity when they were playing earlier in the season. Tonk doesn't look like he's ever going to score again.

A week of deep thought for Dickov I think ...

(I also think the ground situation and form on the pitch are linked)

The first three were very poor defensively. Fourth was a lucky deflection and the fifth was a sweet finish after we'd actually defended a corner properly!

I do think we need to get back to basics though. Morais, White and Taylor give us a lot of skill going forwards, but the likes of Jones and Alessandra seemed to give us a little bit more solidity when they were playing earlier in the season. Tonk doesn't look like he's ever going to score again.

A week of deep thought for Dickov I think ...

Monday nights fans forum could be interesting!.....

You're right about tonk....way off the pace at present, and when he drifts to the wing he empties the box and today we never got forward in numbers.

matched them first half, made the look much better than they are in the second. fell asleep for the first goal and then gave up and the goals we conceded were horrible defending. today was worse than southampton for me because we just fell apart when we could have had a go at them second half.

will be interesting to see dickov getting followed around on Late Kick Off for the day

Think we missed Dean Furman badly today, doubt very much he would have rolled over to have his belly tickled in that fashion...

we didnt in the first half, i thought mantom was doing a similar job and we stopped them from controlling them like we did in the second half. we all thought we missed stephens in the last four games but he didnt make much difference overall today. the problem was that we let in a sloppy first goal and then gave up.

To be fair Posh are a very good side going forward, even in the first half when it was fairly even they looked the more likely to score. Our forwards should watch the video to learn a thing or two about creating chances as their movement both on and off the ball was superb today. We really are light years away as a threat with Tonks, Reid and Feeney.

Posh are poor at the back but when you attack and create so many chances at the other end....does it really matter?

We have to hold our hands up, we didn't do ourselves justice but we were up against a much better team on the day....and that's 10 goals they've put past us in two games!!

To be fair Posh are a very good side going forward, even in the first half when it was fairly even they looked the more likely to score. Our forwards should watch the video to learn a thing or two about creating chances as their movement both on and off the ball was superb today. We really are light years away as a threat with Tonks, Reid and Feeney.

Posh are poor at the back but when you attack and create so many chances at the other end....does it really matter?

We have to hold our hands up, we didn't do ourselves justice but we were up against a much better team on the day....and that's 10 goals they've put past us in two games!!

+1

looking at mackail-smith, whenever the midfield got the ball and looked forwards, he turned into space and wanted the ball. and his second goal was a great finish

+1

looking at mackail-smith, whenever the midfield got the ball and looked forwards, he turned into space and wanted the ball. and his second goal was a great finish

Someone should have got their keeper a coat because he looked a bit cold having f all to do apart from the odd kick and also maybe a chair so he could take the weight off.

We haven't won since the Charity Commission's decision. The players can say whatever they want about the situation off the pitch not affecting them; it clearly, visibly is. It's hard to see any other reason why their confidence has plummeted so badly, especially off the back of a 4-0 win. Tounkara especially looks like a completely different player - he's gone from running through brick walls to looking like he doesn't really know what he's doing on the pitch. It can't be just a coincidence.

We haven't won since the Charity Commission's decision. The players can say whatever they want about the situation off the pitch not affecting them; it clearly, visibly is. It's hard to see any other reason why their confidence has plummeted so badly, especially off the back of a 4-0 win. Tounkara especially looks like a completely different player - he's gone from running through brick walls to looking like he doesn't really know what he's doing on the pitch. It can't be just a coincidence.

I think that's rubbish, (Tounkara has been clueless for the last two or three months).......when a player runs out on to the field in that blue shirt there should be nothing else in his mind apart from trying to win the game.

At the start of the season teams were giving us a little time on the ball and we were able to play the way we wanted now we are closed down much quicker by the opposition and as a result we are much less effective......basically we have been found out and we're not as good as we thought!!!

when a player runs out on to the field in that blue shirt there should be nothing else in his mind apart from trying to win the game.

Having worked for a company that effectively went bust, and you could see it coming, I have to be honest - my own performance dipped. Not because I wanted to. Not because the requirements of the job changed. Just simply an undercurrent within the business that was a distraction to what you're meant to do.

I think it was Hazell's interview in November/December that first pointed to (paraphrased) "We want to achieve something this season but may not get another chance". Coupled with nobody since Stephens in September being able to get a contract beyond the end of June and then the stadium bombshell, I'd be surprised if a bit of sub-conscious "wtf is the point if we're not going to be part of it" hasn't happened. They are young and they are human.

And football success is a fine line. Dickov has brought a spirit to the team that has been missing for a couple of years. We've all seen the improvement. That spirit is something that is built off the field. It can be damaged by other stuff happening behind the scenes too.

Yes, there should be nothing on your mind but doing your best when you turn up for work. But not many of these guys have a guarantee of employment beyond May. And by all accounts not many of them are being paid a high wage (by league one player standards) to justify such uncertaintly.

At the start of the season teams were giving us a little time on the ball and we were able to play the way we wanted now we are closed down much quicker by the opposition and as a result we are much less effective......basically we have been found out and we're not as good as we thought!!!

As I say, it's fine lines. A half time team talk found us out yesterday. Son of Taggart won that game for them. Perhaps if Dickov had a couple of promotions on his management CV he would have been the guy with the nouse to change things. After Southampton we went on something of a decent run. While I do think we'll be ok I don't expect us to go half a dozen games unbeaten this time. This is partly because the future of the football club is uncertain.

If the rumour clarification thread of "Boundary Park until 2014" is right, then it would benefit the playing side if this was announced now. If the fans concern that Dickov's contract is not longer term, it would benefit fan commitment if this was clarified now. If there is another site for a stadium lined up and Failsworth is really dead in the water (e.g. not going to be appealed) then it would benefit players and fans to know this now. Corney and the other amigos may be playing a political game for what they see as getting the best returns for them (and hopefully the football club) - but they do need to balance that around an understanding that their game affects the fans and the players.

Edited by opinions4u

I've missed the good stuff as since being back in the country I've been able to go to 5 games:

Bristol Rovers (H) 1-1

Dagenham (H) 1-1

Hudds (A) 0-0

Carlisle (H) 0-1

P'boro (H) 0-5

But from watching how teams deal with out threat it's not surprising we are struggling. In all the games I've seen our main attacking threat comes from quick one touch passing working the ball out wide, then cutting back in. All it's taking is for the opposition to press our midfield and defence and to double up on wingers. They are free to do this because of the lack of threat from our strikers leaving the only outlet as a high ball into the front man/men who more often than not struggle to win it or if they do get there first, there is little support. We're desperately short of a striker who can offer a threat by himself so teams have something else to worry about and can't commit so many players to closing down our midfield.

Watching Mackail-Smith yesterday was a real lesson in good forward play. He was constantly looking to get away from his marker and to make dangerous runs across or behind the defence. You just don't see this from us. Another major difference was when they did break their midfielders where sprinting upfield to join them in the box. For us, there was little threat on the overlap from Evina and Lee yesterday - possibly because they couldn't commit due to the threat of the P'boro forwards.

Another thing, how many headers have we scored this season? Our crossing has no pace on it and no one seems capable of attacking the ball.

we didnt in the first half, i thought mantom was doing a similar job and we stopped them from controlling them like we did in the second half. we all thought we missed stephens in the last four games but he didnt make much difference overall today. the problem was that we let in a sloppy first goal and then gave up.

hahahahahah..oh dear....

first goal taylor should have just cleared his lines instead of trying to bring it down,take a second touch and run with it...second goal shocking defending...the only decent goal they scored was the volley,and me and about half the rre end applauded it it was that good...

stephens never stopped fighting battling all game,to say he hadnt played for a few games his fitness was good..his distribution on the whole was good and he got stuck in....along with moirase and todd they were the only ones who kept going all game.....the problem is todd is 36 and cant play 3 games running,and certainly not against such an attacking side as them...everyone else head went down and they didnt know what to do...brooke for tonk was wrong,feeney should have come on instead,

far too many went into hiding yesterday...amos had no confidence in the defenders in front of him...the ball just kept coming back because nobody was holding it up...

I've missed the good stuff as since being back in the country I've been able to go to 5 games:

Bristol Rovers (H) 1-1

Dagenham (H) 1-1

Hudds (A) 0-0

Carlisle (H) 0-1

P'boro (H) 0-5

But from watching how teams deal with out threat it's not surprising we are struggling. In all the games I've seen our main attacking threat comes from quick one touch passing working the ball out wide, then cutting back in. All it's taking is for the opposition to press our midfield and defence and to double up on wingers. They are free to do this because of the lack of threat from our strikers leaving the only outlet as a high ball into the front man/men who more often than not struggle to win it or if they do get there first, there is little support. We're desperately short of a striker who can offer a threat by himself so teams have something else to worry about and can't commit so many players to closing down our midfield.

Watching Mackail-Smith yesterday was a real lesson in good forward play. He was constantly looking to get away from his marker and to make dangerous runs across or behind the defence. You just don't see this from us. Another major difference was when they did break their midfielders where sprinting upfield to join them in the box. For us, there was little threat on the overlap from Evina and Lee yesterday - possibly because they couldn't commit due to the threat of the P'boro forwards.

Another thing, how many headers have we scored this season? Our crossing has no pace on it and no one seems capable of attacking the ball.

Cracking post!....my thoughts exactly,been saying all this for weeks....we've a lot to learn yet.

We're desperately short of a striker who can offer a threat by himself so teams have something else to worry about and can't commit so many players to closing down our midfield.

Watching Mackail-Smith yesterday was a real lesson in good forward play. He was constantly looking to get away from his marker and to make dangerous runs across or behind the defence. You just don't see this from us.

We have the very man to do this - he's managing the team.

Tounkara especially looks like a completely different player - he's gone from running through brick walls to looking like he doesn't really know what he's doing on the pitch.

He's not the only one who's looking completely different, and his powderpuff effort, when completely unmarked at 0-2, seemed to drain the last dregs of confidence from the team.

the problem is todd is 36 and cant play 3 games running

Not witness the heroics of last season's ever-present 36 year old captain then?

Or for that matter our only other 2 legends of the noughties?

I didn't make it yesterday due to illness but Todd looked the part against Carlisle. Better than Trotman anyway, both surprisingly and disappointingly.

We're desperately short of a striker who can offer a threat by himself so teams have something else to worry about and can't commit so many players to closing down our midfield.

This is what Tounkara was for the 1st half of the season and why we got a lot of goals from midfield. With the amount of minutes that Tounkara has played this season I'm not surprised that he's out of form/off the pace at the moment.

PD said on Radio Manc that the players' attitude in the second half was totally unacceptable. If repeated the play-offs would be out of reach, and he was prepared to throw the youngsters into the fray to get the right attitude.

Bet he won't do it though.