Daniel Philliskirk to sign permanent deal with Sheffield Utd

good old Chelsea, hoover up any English kid who shows any promise and then release them once they've broken them and deprived them of all that playing time vital for their development. Tough call for the kids in question though - take the money and balls your career up or stay where you are and hope to develop further.

good old Chelsea any Premier League Club, hoover up any English kid who shows any promise and then release them once they've broken them and deprived them of all that playing time vital for their development. Tough call for the kids in question though - take the money and balls your career up or stay where you are and hope to develop further.

FTFY

Yeah terrible,

chance to play for a tiny club like Sheff United whilst picking up peanuts at one of the poorest clubs in the world!

Players have choices and I'm sure with Danny Philliskirk he would probably in a better informed decision due to TP and his experience within the game. I don't beleive this rubbish about being ruined by a team like Chelsea, it isn't as if he is dropping straight to Ashton United or someone is it? The likelihood is that he will make a decent career out of the game and already received a few bob and decent training in the process.

Yeah terrible,

chance to play for a tiny club like Sheff United whilst picking up peanuts at one of the poorest clubs in the world!

Players have choices and I'm sure with Danny Philliskirk he would probably in a better informed decision due to TP and his experience within the game. I don't beleive this rubbish about being ruined by a team like Chelsea, it isn't as if he is dropping straight to Ashton United or someone is it? The likelihood is that he will make a decent career out of the game and already received a few bob and decent training in the process.

This /\

There’s absolutely no guarantee that had he stayed with us he would have ‘made it’ here is there?

He made a move; experienced infinitely better training facilities, better coaching & earned better money than he would have done had he stayed with us – and it appears he’s moving to Sheff Utd; who whether or not some would like to admit; are a way, way bigger club than us.

IIRC he was selected for the England U-17’s less than a month after joining Chelsea & he continued to be selected for that side; now – call me a sceptic; but i doubt very much that had he stayed with us; he would have won that call-up.

He’s been working with Premier League level coaches & players – he won’t have stagnated or gone backwards in that time; I’d say he made exactly the right move when he did – stay at Latics or move to Chelsea; not a hard decision really is it?

I disagree, the vital time in a players development is the late teens. If they're sat around some Premier League Academy - surrounded by all those super coaches or not - and wandering out for some reserve games that matter not a jot then they are going to go backwards. That is why English football is gash. That is why we lose so many young players who could have developed into something better. That's why certain foreign countries will always do England because they bring through their youth which English clubs dont. To have a shot at the big time a young player at one of the Premier League giants has to be absolutely stupendous, anyone else is not going to get a chance to develop and learn from some mistakes along the way.

Think of all the young lads currently hidden away in the systems of the big teams - hardly any of them will come through and many of them - I believe - will end up at a lower level than if they had had those chances to stretch themselves in meaningful games, to play league games that matter etc etc

Oh, and if Chelsea's coaches are so superb working with young players where are all these English lads they've been training for the past umpteen years?

We've had enough cack on loan from premiership clubs to know that their youths are often no better than some of our own. They can afford to cast the net wide knowing that one first team player found will save them maybe the cost of the program and they can sell some of the nearly rans to ipswich or stoke for a million or two.

Surely though Shiny there are just as many which have come through the ranks at lower league clubs and dropped out of pro level football such as the Matty Wolfendens of this world. I bet for every Scott Spencer/Danny Philliskirk there are at least 5 Matty Wolfendens and similar that disappear out of the pro network altogether.

If anything perhaps moving to Chelsea keeps players which show promise in the game early doors in the pro game longer on the back of 'he used to play for Chelsea' rationale alone. If the rumour is tru it looks like Danny P will have the opportunity to aim for a first team place at Sheff United. That may or may not have happened had he stayed at Latics and perhaps forced his way into the first team here or shunned the like of Chelsea and signed for someone life Sheff United from the off.

What I won't believe is that he is now somewhat disadvantaged and stunted in the development of his footballing career because of the path taken. If he is good enough then he will play. Not forgetting how many of the premiership youngsters get put out on loan to gain experience also. we have Tonk and Mvoto playing for us at the moment, should they have signed for someone like Scunthorpe to warm their bench?

Look at 2 loanees from Chelsea which we have had in recent years. Antony the Duke Grant and Ryan Bertrand, one with the possibility of having what it takes and the other not as long as I have a hole in my arse. Are you suggesting that Grant suffered some king of detrimental effect by being a Chelsea youth?

One thing that will be important in all this is likely to be the fact that Tony P started is career at Sheefield United. He spent 5 or 6 years there IIRC from about 1983ish before signing for us. He played probably 90-100 games for them scoring his fair share of goals. Tony will probably have good memories from his time there and a fair few contacts and will have been satisfied that it is a good career move for his lad.

• 6 months later...