Happy St. George's Day on Saturday

I’m posting this early as I’ll be in Exeter. It will also give you more time to find and dust off all that stuff you wasted your money on last year in anticipation of England having a good World Cup run, ready to celebrate the big day.

This is the first time in well over 100 years that St George's Day has been on Easter Saturday and it’s unlikely it will happen again for another 100 years. So this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to celebrate your Englishness at holiday time and without being accused of racism.

To be patriotic is to appreciate and be grateful for all we value in the country in which we live. It does not require us to be a xenophobe or a blinkered nationalist. We can recognise collectively the riches of our heritage. We should not forego our appreciation of an English identity, for fear of causing upset or offence to those who claim such an identity has no place in a multi-cultural society. We should acknowledge and enjoy what we are.

At the time of the Roman Conquest of Britain in the first century AD, there were 27 major tribes living in Britain. In the post-Roman period the name England originated from "Angle-Land", the Angles having migrated to Britain from Germany - the Eastern part of the country is still called East Anglia. Then there were the Jutes from Jutland, who settled in what is now Kent. The Saxons (from Saxony in Germany) arrived and intermixed with the Angles, giving rise to the term Anglo-Saxon. To this day the Welsh word for "English" is "Saeson" and the Scots still refer to the English as "Sassenachs". The Saxon legacy resides in county names such as Essex (East Saxons) and Sussex (South Saxons). Saxon Kings held the throne until 1066 when the Normans (direct from Normandy France, but probably originally Viking ‘Norse men’ from Scandinavia) invaded and defeated King Harold at the Battle of Hastings.

All the British tribes, including the Celts with their Basque and Viking origins, have interbred to such an extent that there are no longer any racially-homogenous individuals, let alone communities. DNA tests have been used by some sociologists as ideological weapons against racism - by revealing we are all African under the skin if you go back far enough in our ancestry and even in some cases, only a few generations back.

Englishness is not diminished by newcomers who each bring with them a new strand to England's fabric. The truth is that an all-embracing England - confident and hopeful in its own identity - is something to celebrate.

Saturday is also the birthday, and anniversary of the death, of William Shakespeare, who wrote…The game’s afoot, follow your spirit, and upon this charge cry ‘God for Harry, England, and Saint George!’. The journalists will have a field-day with that quote when Harry Redknapp gets the England manager’s job.

St George held the post of tribune in the Roman Army during the reign of the Emperor Diocletian (245-313). Diocletian wasn't too keen on Christians and was in the habit of persecuting them, to which George objected. He complained to the Emperor and was thrown into prison and tortured for his effort. As he would not repent, Diocletian had him beheaded.

George was adopted as the patron saint of soldiers after he was said to have appeared to the Crusader army at the Battle of Antioch in 1098. Stories about George reached England carried by Crusaders who heard them from Byzantine Christians and were circulated by troubadours. King Richard I (the Lionheart) adopted St George as the army's protector during his 1191-1192 Crusade, and this was possibly when the red cross on a white background became part of the uniform of English soldiers. A holiday in honour of him, on 23 April was declared by the Synod of Oxford in 1222 and by the end of the 14th century, George had become the Patron Saint of England. Whatever happened to the holiday? The Government is considering switching the May Day holiday to St George's Day, instead of celebrating both days with a holiday.

St George is best known for slaying a dragon and rescuing a fair damsel. According to legend, a town was being terrorised by a dragon, which lived in a cave nearby. In an attempt to pacify it, the locals began sacrificing first animals and then young maidens. Finally, it became the turn of the princess but luckily for her St George appeared on his trusty stead and the dragon was slain.

St George is patron saint not only of England but also of Aragon, Catalonia, Ethiopia, Georgia, Greece, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, and Russia, as well as the cities of Amersfoort, Beirut, Bteghrine, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg, Genoa, Ljubljana, Gozo, Pomorie, Qormi, Lod and Moscow.

In addition to soldiers, St George is also patron saint of scouts, archers, cavalry, farmers, field workers, riders and saddlers (good job we’re not playing Walsall on Saturday), and he helps those suffering from leprosy, plague and syphilis.

St. George’s Day Celebration:

Last year Birmingham was voted the best St. George’s Day celebration, and if you fancy taking a look this year on the way back from Exeter, check out this:

Brum

The shop for all things English:

One of Burton's finest

Celebrate England’s food:

Put aside the curries, stir fries and pizzas for once, and celebrate England with a meal from some of these suggestions:

Starter:

Yorkshire pudding filled with mushrooms in a white wine & cream sauce

Mushroom & Marmite jacket potato

Mushroom & Stilton tartlets

Smoked mackerel on toast with poached egg

Main Course:

Roast Beef with red wine gravy

Cheesy fisherman’s pie with peas or broccoli

Beef, ale & mushroom pie

Asparagus & mushroom puff pastry pie

Beans & carrots with herb butter

Sausage & apple casserole with crusty bread

Mashed potato & parsnip with mustard

Dessert:

Slow-baked clotted cream rice pudding

Egg custard tart topped with nutmeg

Spotted dick & custard

Plum sponge pudding

Eton mess

Eccles cakes

Staffordshire oatcakes

Hot cross buns

Cheeseboard: Stilton, Cheshire, double Gloucester, red Leicester, and Cheddar.

Celebrate England’s drink:

The Easter weekend kicks off a spectacular 10 days for the brewery trade, including four bank holidays and a royal wedding. With eight days out of eleven off work, the celebrations will see national patriotism at its very best and pubs are likely to position themselves at the centre of what could be a giant nationwide knees-up.

st-georges-flags-sk8geek.jpg

Cider: Aspall’s, Westons, Thatchers, Dunkertons, Julian Temperley, Tom Oliver, Sheppy's, Biddenden and Gaymer’s Olde English.

On the return journey from Exeter:

Sheppy’s Cider Museum, near Taunton

Sheppy's

Beer:

Brewer Wells & Young’s is once again seeing the bumper bank holiday weekend as a huge opportunity for its “Beer of England” Bombardier brand, which will be leading the St George’s Day charge. More than 4,000 promotional kits are being sent out to pubs and a special pump-clip scratch-card promotion offers a range of prizes.

Bombardier.jpg

Watch out for Young’s St. George’s beer 5.0% ABV, available on draught in OASIS-land, or bottled (Sainsbury’s).

Shepherd Neame is once again producing its Dragonfire ale 4.5% ABV.

Frodsham Brewery’s Slain 4.2% ABV.

Wadworth’s St. George & the Dragon beer 4.5% ABV.

All ‘ale St.George!

english.jpg

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

I do have a problem with a lot of the defensiveness and excuse-giving around St George's Day (and how often in my experience it descends into stuff like "I'm not racist but..."), but this is about the singlemost sensible and reasonable justification I've ever read. Thank you.

(I won't be celebrating it, I wouldn't begrudge anyone who believes in that explanation and does.)

I shall be celebrating St Georges Day as I do every year!

Must admit I am in a small minority of NOT wanting it to become an 'Official Bank Holiday' as I enjoy taking the day off work to celebrate. I feel it adds to the occasion because people out celebrating it are doing so off there own backs, not just because its a Bank Holiday!

And its NOT racist to celebrate your National Patron Saint, millions do it the World over, yet only in ENGLAND do we have a certain brand of people who decide to deem all supporters of this day as racists! Surely if this is the case then the Irish, Socts & Welsh are equally racist for celebrating St Patricks, Andrews & Davids day!

I think i post this every year, the slaying of the dragon is probably part of the mythology around the change of religion when men with sharp metal things on horses invadede everywhere and kicked the arses of the communist dudes. Snakes were about wisdom before that, like owls before they went bad as well.

Every year i hear people arguing "it's not racist to celebrate St George's Day", despite the fact that every year i don't hear anyone at all arguing that it is. Hopefully we'll eventually get to the point where those who want to celebrate it will just go out and enjoy themselves, those who aren't arsed will leave them to it, and maybe if we're really lucky we'll all get an extra bank holiday out of it.

Every year i hear people arguing "it's not racist to celebrate St George's Day", despite the fact that every year i don't hear anyone at all arguing that it is. Hopefully we'll eventually get to the point where those who want to celebrate it will just go out and enjoy themselves, those who aren't arsed will leave them to it, and maybe if we're really lucky we'll all get an extra bank holiday out of it.

Much like every year you hear people bemoaning the fact that people don't celebrate St George's Day as much as they do St Patrick's as if it was some sort of Fenian-Islamist conspiracy rather than going and actually just doing it.

Excellent post, Diego. B)

Two things I thought I should add.

Saint George was born in Syria Paleastina (today's Egypt, Arabia and Syria).

He is also a Saint and martyr in Muslim texts.

Personally I find it gratifying that our national heritage is celebrated by remembering an Arab Muslim who was a soldier of an army that invaded our shores and occupied our country. It's a geat symbol of our diversity and multicultural history both ancient and modern.

It also adds a wonderful irony to the xenophobic rantings of (St. George's) flag waving racists.

Much like every year you hear people bemoaning the fact that people don't celebrate St George's Day as much as they do St Patrick's as if it was some sort of Fenian-Islamist conspiracy rather than going and actually just doing it.

yep, then you get this "if you don't celebrate it I'll smash yer face in" sort of attitude amongst certain people