Hazell to Chesterfield?

I think they tried to operate this season on a break even basis, but struggled to move Penney's signings on quickly enough.

Crowds fell (I think) and didn't recover despite the prettier football on offer.

So I'd anticipate a 10%-15% cut ... move on 2 higher paid players (Hazell, Stephens) and cut back by 1 or 2 of the lower paid professionals and perhaps job done?

Disclaimer: All numbers and player names are pure guesswork on my part and should not be used to construct press reports, internet gossip about the imposion of the football club or examples of "fact" in any other media.

I would personally say between 15-20 percent. And I think the squad size needs reducing drastically (look at the size of Milton Keynes squad compared to ours on the back of Saturdays programmes). Operate with a squad of no more than 20, release the higher earners and replace like for like with someone on less money

ie Release brill, bring in a gk on less money than brill, same applies to whichever other first teamers leave.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

When he came back he seemed pretty solid, like he never left. But then I must have missed a few away games where he had complete shockers and he didn't feature since. Did he get injured or has he just been dropped?

We know what he's capable of and on the strength of his first 5 or so games since returning to us where I think he looked magnificent I'd definitely offer him a new deal.

Like I said, I haven't seem him at away games, so I'm not factoring in any bad performances he may have had.

But if anyone is expecting 18 year old James Tarkowski to be able to step straight in to the first team next season and sustain a high level of performances for the entire season, I think they're asking too much. He's still young and needs to be nurtured into the team slowly. These performances where we've had nothing to play for are fine, but if our objective for next season is to push up the other end of the table then I certainly don't want to rely on a 18 year old at the heart of our defence, especially since James has made some mistakes in his performances thus far. It's not a criticism, but if we're getting rid of Hazell then we need two new centre backs, I think we're all unanimous for Mvoto, but who are we going to get on a budget who's capable? Do you not think with a full pre-season Trotman can get his fitness and form back? I thought we'd have no chance of signing him when he came back on loan, but given he hasn't feature much for us recently he might just be struggle to find a better option than ourselves and I'd definitely rather take a risk signing Trotman than some over the hill defender, especially since it looks like our playing budget is going to be reduced.

For me it's Mvoto and Trotman for next season with James as immediate backup.

And the re-signing of Sean Gregan of course.

An option would be to give him the pre-season to prove himself should he want to and Preston release him. He might be able to find a club no problems.

I think being dropped behind Tarkowski could indicate what Dickov thinks.

I think he's already been told by Preston he's not getting a new deal.

Their chairman has said they're having a clear out and the fact he was let out for the final 6 months of his contract indicate he isn't going to be offered a new deal by them.

Edited by PlayItLivo

I don't think so. Tarkowski isn't bad in the air, but on the ground he's not ready and may never be. He is slow for his age, and cannot turn quickly. He would be ok for cover as he is at the moment, but we really need some experience with Mvoto (if he signs) who only has this season under his belt himself and still learning.

Tarkowki has a lot to learn and needs to work hard on his general fitness and speed (particularly on the turn), but if it all comes together he will turn out to be very good prospect.

Edited by BP1960

I think youre definitely seeing something in Trotman that I; and most others; dont see. He was; emphasis on was; a very promising indeed young CB but a variety of reasons have meant he is now a pale shadow of the player he was when he left.

Id have him nowhere near our side for next season; not if we realistically dont want to ship a boat load of goals. If you by chance saw him get ripped time & time again by a 17 year Wrexham youth striker in the reserves the other week; Im not so sure youd be so keen for us to sign him up.

The Trotman of 2/3 years ago; then yeah. The Trotman of now avoid big time. The sheer fact that PD has preferred to have a 17/18 year Tarkowski in ahead of a fit Troman says it all to me.

As for Hazell; Id be upset to see him leave. He is a solid League 1 CB. Prone to the odd mistake, but generally solid and more than capable. His age & experience is invaluable to an incredibility young side like ours. He appears to be pretty well disliked on here; and I dont understand why he is so derided. What do people want / expect us to have at CB David Luis or Vidic? Were a skint L1 side & players like Reuben are more than good enough for us; as he has been since he arrived.

If he goes; he goes. Simple as; thats football. I wish him all the luck in the rest of his career. I just dont think people will be so quick to celebrate him leaving when they realise how hard itll likely be to replace him; and said replacement starts to make a few clangers as lower league defenders are prone to do.

Is this 17yo Wrexham striker worth signing ?

Edited by BP1960

Trotman started badly and got worse. A pre-season may do him good but my biggest qualms were his proneness to 'fall asleep' and his disgraceful passing.

Despite this I would take him on a low wage. I wouldn't dream of matching or even halving the £200k a year Preston have been paying him.

If you can get Trotman on the cheap he's just the kind of signing we should be gambling on IMO, if it pays off you have a quality player, if it doesnt then it hasnt cost you too much money!

The emphasis here is on the cheap! Trotman, Hazell, Mvoto and Tarkowski all fit and on form would be nice for CB.

The thing about Hazell is, he was given a 2 and a year half extension on the back of some really solid form during Shez' last season, which probably included a big payrise, he has to be one of our top earners. We're not going to keep him on the same terms as squad player status, nor will he want to be a squad player on reduced terms.

As obvious as "joining up with Shez" sounds, it makes sense.

All this talk about releasing Hazell is mad. We have one of the better defensive records in the division. Why ship out someone known the be a fairly solid defender when we need options in other areas namely up front. I wouldn't change any of the back 5 (as long as we can bring in Mvoto) even brill stays for me as while he gives you twitchy bum moments more often that not the stats speak for themselves. I am not a fan of Brill either by the way. If Stephens goes for a reasonable sum we need an older head in the centre of the park to assist Furman. Someone like Shez when he played there would be ideal and someone who can pop the ball in the back.

For me defence is sorted with Lee, Ruubes, Evina/Black with tarky on the bench and whoever we can bring in (ideally Mvoto) yeah ok there have been some head in hands moments but we need to get a grip on reality. Far more pressing matters in other areas of the field and Ruubes has performed admirably for 90% of the time.

a Centre mid and goalscorer for me for certain the other areas aren't prioroties sick of chopping and changing personnel.

Rumour at OT yesterday is that Scholes is going to retire at the end of the season !!!!!!!!!!

Edited by losesome

Is this 17yo Wrexham striker worth signing ?

Not really BP – started up top for them; then dropped back to midfield – did OK. But that’s the point; Trotman was being done by a 17 year old; on the books of a Blue Square side – not an established experienced league pro; a mere kid playing youth & reserve football from a side 2 divisions below us.

That’s my point. He’s a shadow of the player he was

The fact he was quickly relegated to the bench says all you need to know about Trotters unfortunately!

Give him a opre season and a 6 month contract should he impress then he is worth the gamble. Getting rid of Hazell however is not. We will seriously struggle to replace him with anybody on a par.

We shouldnt have got rid of greegen could still do a better job than who we have now?

;/ get out now!!!!!!!!!! to old to fat can win a header tho its all about pace these days somthing he hasnt got.

Please go hazzel the ammount of times i panic when he has the ball at the back and the casual running back to claim a ball is pissing me off............

I'll be fairly sad to see Hazell go. Like other's have said, he's been a great servant to the club, in an age where 3 or 4 seasons at the same club seems like a lifetime. I remember with fondness some great performances such as Everton away and although he dropped a few bollocks on occasion (I recall Steve Redmond was similar) I always thought he was more known for his all round consistancy.

But, if it's true and he leaves then we'll look forward, probably to a future where we put our reliance on youth like Tarky and hopefully offer Mvoto a deal (who for me, is outstanding at this level and would be a real boost if we manage to sign him). To paraphrase Noel Gallagher, it's hardly George Harrison leaving the Beatles.