Two more friendlies

Ooooh another thread from Negative Nora & his young protégée – yippee!

Honestly; what are you expecting? We’re financially screwed; so we really aren’t going spend money we don’t have on going on a pre-season tour. And as for “Big” Premiership teams; they tend to a bit busy pre-season visiting the US or Dubai or the Far East to have either the time nor inclination to bother to set up a game against ‘Ickle old Oldham.

I said on the other pre-season thread; to realistically expect this level & choice of opponent; and IMO there’s nothing wrong with what’s been announced so far.

It really shouldn’t be another opportunity to take a big kick at the club over some pre-season games that are pretty good anyways for a club like us.

It really is take any chance to moan from some isn’t it?

Ooooh another thread from Negative Nora & his young protégée yippee!

Honestly; what are you expecting? Were financially screwed; so we really arent going spend money we dont have on going on a pre-season tour. And as for Big Premiership teams; they tend to a bit busy pre-season visiting the US or Dubai or the Far East to have either the time nor inclination to bother to set up a game against Ickle old Oldham.

I said on the other pre-season thread; to realistically expect this level & choice of opponent; and IMO theres nothing wrong with whats been announced so far.

It really shouldnt be another opportunity to take a big kick at the club over some pre-season games that are pretty good anyways for a club like us.

It really is take any chance to moan from some isnt it?

I think people want a change. We've been in the same division for 765 years playing largely the same teams. Surely we don't have to do that in the off-season too.

Get to Morecambe's new ground, invite Bradford, get an away day at York, play FSCUM (as mentioned by someone earlier). Use a bit of imagination rather than just popping to the local non-league side and inviting two of our MASSIVE neighbours (even playing at Blackpool would be different - new half ground, can get outrageously drunk and try not to notice you are knee deep in :censored:). It's bad enough that they are friendlies without making them as appetising as water soup.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Maybe dickov wouldnt see playing pub teams in northern ireland as ideal preparation for the season? Or playing man city for that matter. Unless we could land a big fund raiser it's more important to be playing the standard of team we want to than arrangog a good day or week out for us lot.

Ooooh another thread from Negative Nora & his young protégée – yippee!

Honestly; what are you expecting? We’re financially screwed; All the more reason to get a game against a City, United, Liverpool or Everton XI then so we really aren’t going spend money we don’t have on going on a pre-season tour. wwhy not sound out various tourist boards a year in advance? I'm sure then club didn't pay for Ibiza or the IOM in '05, sound out various initiatives And as for “Big” Premiership teams; they tend to a bit busy pre-season visiting the US or Dubai or the Far East to have either the time nor inclination to bother to set up a game against ‘Ickle old Oldham. See above.

I said on the other pre-season thread; to realistically expect this level & choice of opponent; and IMO there’s nothing wrong with what’s been announced so far. The level of opponent is fine, it's the same old teams though let's have a bit of variety

It really shouldn’t be another opportunity to take a big kick at the club over some pre-season games that are pretty good anyways for a club like us. Stop being such a happy clapper and join the debate instead of washing your hands

It really is take any chance to moan from some isn’t it? If asking questions is moaning so be it...

Funny how plenty in this thread agree Sly, accepting our lot in life is what has led to 14 years at this level (soon to be 15) a bit of pro-activity would see a bigger team come and play a game here. How many times have little 'Dale had friendlies against the Manc teams? Against Everton etc…why not get the interest in the team we've put together BEFORE the season starts. If you're happy to bob along and doft your cap and accept the conveyor belt of crap decisions made on a daily basis at the club then so be it.

Since we've been in this league (Home friendlies, selected away)

97 IOM and Eire

98 IOM and Stockport H

99 Sheff Utd and Blackburn at Home and IOM

00 Leeds and Citeh at Home and IOM

01 PItch Work

02 Sheff wed and Newcastle away inc Donny and M'Boro

03 City and Blackburn at Home (Dale away) Morecambe (A)

04 Bolton and Leeds at Home (Dale and Stalybridge away)

05 Pitch Renovation IOM and Ibiza, Crewe away

06 Dale Home, various away inc Southport and Halifax

07 Sheff Wed (H), Macc (A) Barrow (A)

08 Hull and Derby (H)

09 Sunderland, Blackpool, Middlesbrough (H) Macc (A), Hyde (A) Barrow (A)

10 Burnley, Wigan, Bolton and Preston (H) Falkirk, LIverpool, Barrow (A)

All much a muchness at home, not played City here since '03 and The Scum last played here in 1995 for the Centenary game, surely they'd send an XI, Sunderland did….

Edited by oafcprozac

All much a muchness at home, not played City here since '03 and The Scum last played here in 1995 for the Centenary game, surely they'd send an XI, Sunderland did….

Very much agree, but LL does come up with a decent point.

If I was picking (and didn't live up here, I'd go with, if we could get them,:

Leeds (H)

MSCUM (A)

City XI (H)

Morecambe (A)

Two above us, two below - two something new, two rival & local big teams who'll bring a few. Add to that a couple of local non-league teams (Stockport for a giggle anyone?) and probably a throwaway reserve prermiership team say, Bastard and the jobs done. Not this unimaginative rubbish.

Very much agree, but LL does come up with a decent point.

If I was picking (and didn't live up here, I'd go with, if we could get them,:

Leeds (H)

MSCUM (A)

City XI (H)

Morecambe (A)

Two above us, two below - two something new, two rival & local big teams who'll bring a few. Add to that a couple of local non-league teams (Stockport for a giggle anyone?) and probably a throwaway reserve prermiership team say, Bastard and the jobs done. Not this unimaginative rubbish.

Be summat different wouldn't it? Similar opposition but a little more appealing - went to Morecambe's old ground for our first friendly during the summer of hell. Falkirk and the Cup Final were decent last year. Surely we can do summat better than Barrow (Lancaster City?) And last year it was only yoofs , triallists an opportunity for Taylor to get crocked….

So, so far we've got

Mossley away (Swap for FCum away)

Burnley Home (Swap for City XI)

Barrow away (Someone like Lancaster away, Colwyn Bay, Prestatyn Town)

Blackpool Home (Everton XI)

seriously.......who cares about pre-season games??

Half of you moaning on here will be away on your jollies anyway at the time and they are simply warm up games after all - we all knw getting Man City et al at home would be a youth team and that would be interpreted as 'a joke' by the fans were it to happen.

It's 5th August and 5th May that count - some of you really need to calm down over this, it really is trivial who we play. All will be local enough, none of the prem teams ever really put effort in - they are simply training sessions and thats it.

Edited by shefflatic

Half of you moaning on here will be away on your jollies anyway at the time and they are simply warm up games after all - we all knw getting Man City et al at home would be a youth team and that would be interpreted as 'a joke' by the fans were it to happen.

It's 5th August and 5th May that count - some of you really need to calm down over this, it really is trivial who we play. All will be local enough, none of the prem teams ever really put effort in - they are simply training sessions and thats it.

I thought the season started on the 6th August?

I was going to say something similar, personally I just don't understand the appeal of going to pre-season friendlies regardless of the opposition, I've been to a few in the past but usually it's because I've got too much time on my hands they aint that important to me

I was going to say something similar, personally I just don't understand the appeal of going to pre-season friendlies regardless of the opposition, I've been to a few in the past but usually it's because I've got too much time on my hands they aint that important to me

Dissappointed there is a pub right opposite Barrow train station that sells Fruli mate :huh: