Latics chase star striker

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was speaking to an ex players agent last night and apparantly in his words " Oldham havent got a cat in hells chance of signing a star striker" , the wages we are offerering are way below what any decent striker wants

Edited by razza699

• 3 weeks later...

Whoever the striker is, Paul Dickov will only sign someone who wants to play for the club and not just pick up his wages and sit in the reserves.Paul I am sure will get the right man eventually I have no doubt. The players these days have to yearn and earn for the right to be in a Latics shirt and long may it continue.

Whoever the striker is, Paul Dickov will only sign someone who wants to play for the club and not just pick up his wages and sit in the reserves.Paul I am sure will get the right man eventually I have no doubt. The players these days have to yearn and earn for the right to be in a Latics shirt and long may it continue.

fair enough but it would be nice for the club to explain these false hope filled articles

Latics chase....

"If we manage to pull off one of them it will be a fantastic signing for the club."

We asked and we didn't get. What's to explain? :dntknw:

who it was , why we didnt get them , why were they so confident to post 2 articles about it ?

who it was , why we didnt get them , why were they so confident to post 2 articles about it ?

It was Clayton Donaldson and Cody McDonald. We didn't get them because we're skint, but Dickov had a bash at charming them anyway.

Perhaps the articles were an attempt to secure additional season ticket sales and funds to facilitate this marquee signature. Marketing, I think a few on here call it...

"If we manage to pull off one of them it will be a fantastic signing for the club."

I know we're stuck for money, but I didn't think we'd be reduced to doing this to get players here... I mean, surely we should leave that to the players wags...

:lol:

Not a huge surprise it didn't work.

It was Clayton Donaldson and Cody McDonald. We didn't get them because we're skint, but Dickov had a bash at charming them anyway.

Perhaps the articles were an attempt to secure additional season ticket sales and funds to facilitate this marquee signature. Marketing, I think a few on here call it...

false hope

Seeing as we seem to have hit a bit of a wall with regards to getting a new striker in, is it worth making a cheeky enquiry to Leicester with regards to getting that young Jeffrey Schlupp character in on loan?

Apologies if he has already been suggested on here.

I don't know much about him but I was thinking this...

Good things:

- He scored a couple last season on loan at Brentford

- He scored a hat-trick t'other day in the Carling Cup so he obviously has his shooting boots on this season too

- There is the obvious Leicester connections. I think he may have been twittering or tweetering (or whatever) with Jim Wes and Alex Cizak in the last couple of weeks

- He's got pace

- He's got a great name

Possible bad things:

- I read somewhere that Sven hasn't decided yet whether to let him go out on loan this season or not, although they are still making bids for other strikers (e.g. that idiot Beckford)and if Leicester carry on with the way they are going, results wise, Sven himself may be off soon anyway.

- He/they could probably get better offers elsewhere. Brentford (where he was last season) have already demonstrated that they can outbid us by signing Mr Donaldduckson (who allegedly 'pimped' himself out to every club in the football pyramid before accepting the biggest offer he could get)

- He may want a Championship club if he does go out on loan

- He is just a kid

Just a suggestion.

Cody Mc is yet to sign for someone and he's not in Norwich's 25 man squad for the Prem, no one will pay the £600k or so Norwich wants and he's not going to accrue much value in the stiffs, who knows???? Though I doubt we will sign him.

could only be a loan deal

Cody Mc is yet to sign for someone and he's not in Norwich's 25 man squad for the Prem, no one will pay the £600k or so Norwich wants and he's not going to accrue much value in the stiffs, who knows???? Though I doubt we will sign him.

No idea why anyone has not thought of him before?... :wink:

Listening to Latics World PD interview today it would seem whoever this new striker target PD was hoping to have in place 2 games back as gone the way of all the others. Sounds like even he is getting pissed off with the non arrival of a striker. He stressed it's not down to lack of trying and that he has the clubs backing to land one. So what's the problem then? have Latics become so unfashionable even a striker without a club and pay days don't want to be here. Or is it the money we can offer?