Latics chase star striker

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lowe is old, doubt' we'll pay a fee for someone we're unlikely to sell on.

Vardy would be a very good signing.

Vardy is a prolific goalscorer at that level, but I was impressed with big centre forward James Dean when I last saw Halifax.

Vardy

Dean

Quote from Wikipedia

'James Dean became the first player to score 50 goals for the club, after only 69 games for the Shaymen'.

Edited by BP1960

Vardy is a prolific goalscorer at that level, but I was impressed with big centre forward James Dean when I last saw Halifax.

Vardy

Dean

Quote from Wikipedia

'James Dean became the first player to score 50 goals for the club, after only 69 games for the Shaymen'.

says targets havent changed....so cody mac must still be his number 1 target,and any other up and coming striker will do for the other....i like the optimism,but cant see us getting cody mac,not when the likes of posh are after him,and in a higher league....also states hes still after cb and cm....would these be perm deals or maybe loans coming in???

When you look at the PFA free transfer list, pick any one from about 20. There's some top names in there. And some dross too. Granted, many will be way out of our league, money wise, but there's a few gems to be had.

Giles Barnes, Marcus Bent, Jay Bothroyd, Febian Brandy, John Carew, Pablo Counago, Craig Fagan, Martin Gritton, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Marlon Harewood, Rene Howe, Diomansy Kamara, Kevin Lisbie, Benni McCarthy, Lloyd Owusu, Vincent Pericard, Chris Porter, James Scowcroft, Ian Thomas-Moore (OK, only joking), Steven Thompson, Calvin Zola.

Who would you have / who could we afford out of that lot. No prize for the first one to say, "None of 'em"

When you look at the PFA free transfer list, pick any one from about 20. There's some top names in there. And some dross too. Granted, many will be way out of our league, money wise, but there's a few gems to be had.

Giles Barnes, Marcus Bent, Jay Bothroyd, Febian Brandy, John Carew, Pablo Counago, Craig Fagan, Martin Gritton, Eidur Gudjohnsen, Marlon Harewood, Rene Howe, Diomansy Kamara, Kevin Lisbie, Benni McCarthy, Lloyd Owusu, Vincent Pericard, Chris Porter, James Scowcroft, Ian Thomas-Moore (OK, only joking), Steven Thompson, Calvin Zola.

Who would you have / who could we afford out of that lot. No prize for the first one to say, "None of 'em"

Out of that list we could maybe afford Brandy, Gritton (Stockport?!), Howe, Owusu, Pericard, Scowcroft, Thomas-Moore, Porter and Zola - wouldn't want any of them

Out of our range - Barnes, Bent, Boothroyd, Carew, Counago, Fagan, Gudjohnsen, Harewood, Kamara, McCarthy, Thompson and Lisbie

Some people obviously dont read what the club releases in the media the club in the last fortnight OAFC have received in excess of £330k in transfers whichthe club have repeatedly said any income received from the sale of players will be pumped into THIS seasons playing budget, so why cant have Oldham compete with Stockport :shock: for Ryan Lowe and again today somebody with links to club has stated the club are in talks with Bury over one of their players and as for Lowe being too old not a problem in my book when we have Brooke and Reid in reserve, and id rather the club spend money on someone who has scored over 120 goals in his career rather than a mercenary who relies on his past clubs CV in neogiating terms who finds double figures hard to come by.

Edited by Postman Matt

cody mac and martin patterson from burnley if you believe cgroves on ezine, although PD thinks CMD going somewhere permanent...

Never in a month of sunday's will we be signing him.

Pompy are about to bid for him, around the £1million marker......so; have we won the lottery & no-one has told us fans??

cody mac and martin patterson from burnley if you believe cgroves on ezine, although PD thinks CMD going somewhere permanent...

I have also heard the Patterson one this afternoon but laughed it off thinkin he was Burnleys 1st choice??

Apparently the £100k Stockport offered for Lowe was media speculation and Stockport actually offered much less hence why it was rejected as derisory.

If we received around £300k nett for Stephens and this has been pumped back in for player purchases then Lowe is well within our budget and I'm sure we'd pay for someone with a proven scoring record.

I have a feeling though that Lowe is the second of his two targets as a "star" striker suggests someone playing at a higher level, is a more recognised name and will make fans go "wow" if they sign. McDonald is an option albeit on loan but are the likes of Bent or Harewood out our reach? Both are looking for clubs and both could be persuaded by PD to come and play for us on less money than they were earning at their last club.

The one player I keep thinking is a strong possibility is Steve Howard at Leicester. He's played with Dickov and Taggart, knows them both well and is really good mates with Taggart, is sliding down the pecking order and even more so since the arrival of Nugent and even though Leicester could afford it, the offer os us part paying his wage whilst he's here could be a further incentive to agree a loan deal. He hasn't been prolific recently but his aerial presence woild work well with Reid or Smith or even Feeney as well as score a fair few goals himself.

There's also the rumour of Varney from Halifax.

PD is biding his time to get the right players in but the recent announcement by the club is frustrating and making all of us even more impatient for the club to secure the striker...even more so now that the "star" tag has been dangled in front of us and PD suggesting it would be a fantastic signing for the club.

I remember reading about that sunderland video. It was a bit on the sinister side, the girl didnt seem to happy with the spit roasting side of things. According to the report i read.

I've just watched it, she loved it. I didn't complete the task over it though. Think it was filmed on a Nokia rather than a Sony Ericsson.