But like I wouldn't throw in a youth lad on opening day etc would you?

We're fine with wingers, Taylor Morais, with the young plads in Millar Hughes etc as back-up, also winchester can play there, or put winchester RB and stick lee to wing.. We could possibly do with one, but other areas need sorting first, such as centre mid

Well, no. But we have to spend within our means and wingers aren't a priority.

Centre forward, central midfielder and at a push we still need a central defender for me. Wingers we have.

Can't see us signing a central defender. I think with M'voto, Diamond and Tarkowski, any shortage there will be covered by loan deals.

Can't see us signing a central defender. I think with M'voto, Diamond and Tarkowski, any shortage there will be covered by loan deals.

And Carr. Mvoto and Diamond first choice, Tarkowski first choice sub, Carr on the bench in Tarkowski's absence.

Thin, yes, but we all knew it would be a smaller squad this year. We can't afford to carry non-playing pros.

Twelve senior players - that is very, very thin. It isn't sustainable for a season.

Yes, nine kids, but how many kids really make the grade? Very, very few. The odd one every couple of seasons.

The team is very promising, but we really need 6-8 players. This squad is dangerously small. :unsure:

Twelve senior players - that is very, very thin. It isn't sustainable for a season.

Yes, nine kids, but how many kids really make the grade? Very, very few. The odd one every couple of seasons.

The team is very promising, but we really need 6-8 players. This squad is dangerously small. :unsure:

Good point, and a note of caution for those raving about the kids, take for example a random Ritchie team from the very late/90s/turn of the millenium

MIskelly - ended up playing in NI

McNIven S - Went to Oxford, had his health problems, now a jobbing non-leaguer

Paul Jones - Ended up as the main stay of Barrow's defence for years

Hotte - Scarborough?

Holt - Had a decent League 2 career with Hull, Wrexham and Northampton

Clitheroe - Broke his leg, never heard of him again

Innis - Played for Vale, Scottish lower leagues, now at Mossley

Salt - Another jobbing nin-leaguer going progressively lower

McNiven D - Another jobbing non-leaguer

Sugden - See above

Tipton - did ok with Macclesfield, but failed at Bury and Mansfield now doing the non-league circuit and working in construction

I think no matter how good our kids are, we are going down an even more extreme route than when Warnock walked in '98. The club can rave all it wants about kids but sooner or later they will crumble and need supplementing and supporting by senior pros. Pre-season so far has been encouraging but injuries and suspensions will kick in and where will that leave us? I believe Dickov's transfer policy is to go for higher quality targets by reducing the squad, meaning he can get 4 or 5 very good players instead of a 8 or 9 average journeymen. That has to be applauded, but the only problem is he is being gazumped time and time again with very little manoeverability to improve on our top offer.

The difference is at Man Utd, throwing the kids in was a risk but as they only played once a week and got regular breaks for international duty. Our lads have to play twice a week every week, and as it showed last season they were knackered before Easter and we did not have the back up to give them that rest

Whilst completely agreeing with what you just said its equally valid to add in Allott as a young lad with Stitch. Tierney now in Prem having worked hard. One or two who have had a reasonable career.

Spencer, Lewi, Lomax, Griffin, Boshell (cough) can be added as not setting World alight. But PD has learned a lot in twelve months and even more confident of him pulling rabbits out of hats. Our previous managers made some shocking choices in hindsight.

But as Hansen said "You win nothing with kids." :blink:

With regards the 'successes' you note, they were mostly thrown into teams that had a good mix of experience, for example Griff played with Mini-Shez and Eyres in front of him, Da Bosh mainly played alongside Dux, Lewi played his best football with Hughes, Lomax played with Greegs etc...if we're too top heavy with kids they will crash and burn. The learning curve needs to be gradual (as does introducing kids into the team) and alongside more savvy pros, I know there's no substitute for on the job training but as good as some of the kids look (Mellor and Hughes) I would like them to be treated with a gradual approach not thrown into the deep end of a relegation battle.

On another note PD apparently has more 'irons in the fire and expects them to reach boiling point very soon' according to Saturday's programme notes. Watch this space apparently….tbh I think the best we can hope for is 'El Midfielder', Josh Parker and a couple of season long loans but again that would leave us massively short on that experienced spine we lack….

Edited by oafcprozac

The difference is at Man Utd, throwing the kids in was a risk but as they only played once a week and got regular breaks for international duty. Our lads have to play twice a week every week, and as it showed last season they were knackered before Easter Shrove Tuesday and we did not have the back up to give them that rest

FTFY

Does anyone else think Sam sodje could do a job for us? He just been placed on transfer list. Always used to play a blinder against us and was lethal at set peices

He's a Grade A twit with an A though, no thanks. Zander, Tripod and Tarky for me with Matty Carr or Parkes as back up, with mybe a loanee here and there….

Does anyone else think Sam sodje could do a job for us? He just been placed on transfer list. Always used to play a blinder against us and was lethal at set peices

If Martin Allen is releasing Sam Sodje then he cant be the player he once was. Played at Allen at Brentford and just his type of defender so if he dont fancy him then theres something up

I think the younger players such as Carr and Tarky could do that same 'job' (which I am presuming is backup defender?) just as effectively. Would much rather use our own lads than bring in an over the hill donkey

Was a very good player but unfortunately he aint Efe, he's his brother.