This is a bit random I know but just saw him mentioned in one of the threads. What happened when he was here? Did it just not work out for him or was there problems? If I remember it was my first season ever watching latics and probably saw 3 maybe 4 games. I was onlyypung and didn't really know anything about the team or the club. He has been a success at pretty much every club he has been at why not ours?

This is a bit random I know but just saw him mentioned in one of the threads. What happened when he was here? Did it just not work out for him or was there problems? If I remember it was my first season ever watching latics and probably saw 3 maybe 4 games. I was onlyypung and didn't really know anything about the team or the club. He has been a success at pretty much every club he has been at why not ours?

£££££££££'s

In a nutshell.

if memory serves, we couldnt win away from home, home form was fantastic, think we beat Plymouth 2-1 away, was 1 of our only away wins. if we had of won even 5-6 away games we could of been play-offs at least with investment or not. Top 3 most of season.

if memory serves, we couldnt win away from home, home form was fantastic, think we beat Plymouth 2-1 away, was 1 of our only away wins. if we had of won even 5-6 away games we could of been play-offs at least with investment or not. Top 3 most of season.

Researched this in some detail and from memory….

When he first arrived he went at it like a bull in a china shop, binning NIck Henry, Bez etc.. in favour of players like Hodgson and Reid. Although he did sign Dux and the crock Rush, the form was worse than it was under Sharp, in fact he only won at QPR 1-0, and at home to Wolves, Swindon and Norwich meaning we went down with a game to spare at Elm Park.

Summer of '97 there was little money, despite selling Fleming as we still had players like Redmond, Orlyggsson, Barlow and McCarthy on expensive deals. Warnock did manage to sign Sinnott and Ironside. We then proceeded to have one of the worst seasons in living memory for injuries, which seriously disrupted our challenge from Christmas onwards. The away form was poor winning only two games (2-0 at both Plymouth and eventual Play Off winners Grimsby). As injuries bit he brought in Mike Pollitt on loan and Tommy Wright on a rolling month to month contract, but eventually the board declined Warnock's request to make it permanent. We had Danny Boxall a full-back on loan and eventually we signed Jepson and Starbuck in February, before swapping the latter for Littlejohn on deadline day but losing the soon to be out of contract Barlow. We also had Grobbelaar as keeping cover from December onwards and he played in the final 4 games of the season, keeping three clean sheets. Warnock was encouraged that with the right wheeling and dealing we could mount a challenge in 98/99, he wanted to bin McCarthy and Orlyggsson, sell Graham and Serrant for decent money and promote a few of the kids. The board instead decided that the money was simply not there, any incoming transfer fees would be used to reduce the debts (Serrant £500K, Redmond walked for nowt, Jepson walked too) and instead of wheeling and dealing the club promoted the youths en masse such as Holt, Boshell, Salt, Hotte, Miskelly, Tipton etc…..

As Warnock had initially only signed a 15 month contract, he decided to walk and Stitch was offered the job….

Edited by oafcprozac

When he first arrived he went at it like a bull in a china shop, binning NIck Henry, Bez etc.. in favour of players like Hodgson and Reid. Although he did sign Dux and the crock Rush, the form was worse than it was under Sharp, in fact he only won at QPR 1-0, and at home to Wolves, Swindon and Norwich meaning we went down with a game to spare at Elm Park.

Summer of '97 there was little money, despite selling Fleming as we still had players like Redmond, Orlyggsson, Barlow and McCarthy on expensive deals. Warnock did manage to sign Sinnott and Ironside. We then proceeded to have one of the worst seasons in living memory for injuries, which seriously disrupted our challenge from Christmas onwards. The away form was poor winning only two games (2-0 at both Plymouth and eventual Play Off winners Grimsby). As injuries bit he brought in Mike Pollitt on loan and Tommy Wright on a rolling month to month contract, but eventually the board declined Warnock's request to make it permanent. We had Danny Boxall a full-back on loan and eventually we signed Jepson and Starbuck in February, before swapping the latter for Littlejohn on deadline day but losing the soon to be out of contract Barlow. We also had Grobbelaar as keeping cover from December onwards and he played in the final 4 games of the season, keeping three clean sheets. Warnock was encouraged that with the right wheeling and dealing we could mount a challenge in 98/99, he wanted to bin McCarthy and Orlyggsson, sell Graham and Serrant for decent money and promote a few of the kids. The board instead decided that the money was simply not there, any incoming transfer fees would be used to reduce the debts (Serrant £500K, Redmond walked for nowt, Jepson walked too) and instead of wheeling and dealing the club promoted the youths en masse such as Holt, Boshell, Salt, Hotte, Miskelly, Tipton etc…..

As Warnock had initially only signed a 15 month contract, he decided to walk and Stitch was offered the job….

You sure about that last bit? In his book he said he was told by Darth Hardy that he wasn't getting a new contract and the board offered the position to Andy Ritchie

You sure about that last bit? In his book he said he was told by Darth Hardy that he wasn't getting a new contract and the board offered the position to Andy Ritchie

The board only decided not to offer him a new deal after he told them he needed some sort of budget to wheel and deal, when I spoke to him outside BP after the Burnley draw he said he definitely wanted to stay, as he had 'unfinished business'…once the board told him there wasn't a pot to piss in the decision was mutual and announced in the press as that...

Edited by oafcprozac

Plus on the Endsleigh league extra program at a godforsaken hour which was the only place to see the goals from League One as it was (which is now the Championship) he said "It won't be a disaster if this club goes down." Well Colin :censored:, we're still blooming here over a decade later, I'd call that a disaster.

If the man in charge of the team was saying that publicly, before we were safe it was surely radiating through the club, it was his job not to let us go down and he failed to do that one thing.

Plus, he is a cu..

Plus on the Endsleigh league extra program at a godforsaken hour which was the only place to see the goals from League One as it was (which is now the Championship) he said "It won't be a disaster if this club goes down." Well Colin :censored:, we're still blooming here over a decade later, I'd call that a disaster.

If the man in charge of the team was saying that publicly, before we were safe it was surely radiating through the club, it was his job not to let us go down and he failed to do that one thing.

Plus, he is a cu..

As :censored: as it was under Sharp and not winning a game until October, from October to January we put a decent run together and our destiny was still in our own hands we'd beaten City, Wolves away, drew at Sheff Utd and hammered Bradford and Grimsby away we began to struggle again in late January/February but were by no means ever cut-adrift. Warnock going at it like a bull in a china-shop disrupted us, that his long-ball tactics and his inability to win away apart from QPR. We still had enough to stay up that year…

Oh and we played Newcastle off the park in the League Cup too…Sharp was always Stott and co's scapegoat. Suddenly when Warnock arrived we had money for Dux, Reid, Hodgson, Rush etc….

Edited by oafcprozac

did we have a 4-4 draw, or 3-3 draw with bristol rovers at boundary park the season under Warnock??

Yep, 3-0 up after half an hour courtesy of Barlow and McCarthy, 3-3 by HT, 4-3 early doors in second half courtesy of Garnett - late pen makes it 4-4.

So he was manager when we came down to this league. Do the fans generally like him or dislike him from his time here?

I'm pretty indifferent, relegation was avoidable, he had a good start, injuries severely disrupted but his tactics were dire as were his signing of supposed cult-heroes Hodgson (who was a donkey and a thug), then :censored:e like Ironside, Sinnott and Starbuck. Crocks like Rush but a genuine club legend of the last 15 years in Dux. All in all i'm pretty indifferent to his time here, but i'm in no doubt that if the board had backed him in the summer of '98 we may well have challenged but then we may not seen had the privilege of Stitch signing Shez and Eyres..

I remember us signing Steve Whitehall and being told he was going to bag the goals which would fire us to Division 1, only for us to go 3-0 down in the first half of the first game against Notts County. I also remember the first game against Stoke in 96/97 and having a goal dissalowed by Uriah Rennie which had clearly crossed the line

So he was manager when we came down to this league. Do the fans generally like him or dislike him from his time here?

I dislike him not for the fact we were relegated under him, but for the God awful style of football we played. I hate Ronnie Moore for the same reason.

I remember us signing Steve Whitehall and being told he was going to bag the goals which would fire us to Division 1, only for us to go 3-0 down in the first half of the first game against Notts County. I also remember the first game against Stoke in 96/97 and having a goal dissalowed by Uriah Rennie which had clearly crossed the line

Stitch signed Whitehall

We had two goals disallowed in that Stoke game

I used to sit in the main stand just in front of the away dug out and after Sharp, who you never heard a peep out of, it was good to see someone so passionate and animated. Relegation may have been avoidable, but we were down there in the first place. I remember us beating already promoted Grimsby in the last game of our 1st year in League 1 and really thought next year would be a good one. At the end of the match Warnock and all the players came over to the fans and gave us signed bits and bobs. It didn't seem at the time that he would be going anywhere.

I used to sit in the main stand just in front of the away dug out and after Sharp, who you never heard a peep out of, it was good to see someone so passionate and animated. Relegation may have been avoidable, but we were down there in the first place. I remember us beating already promoted Grimsby in the last game of our 1st year in League 1 and really thought next year would be a good one. At the end of the match Warnock and all the players came over to the fans and gave us signed bits and bobs. It didn't seem at the time that he would be going anywhere.

I don't think at the time people were aware of the amount of money other clubs were willing to invest at our level (I know I wasn't), the following seasons saw the likes of Preston, Millwall, Burnley Reading, Stoke, Wigan etc assemble much better squads than ours and we seemed to stagnate