From Tonight's Chron

"….Mr Corney said: “We have agreed a 20-year lease with my two former partners, with an option for a further 20 years, and this has secured the future for the next 40 years.”

He added: “I will own the shares in the football club along with the trust. It is in good hands and for the first time I am confident in ploughing more money into the football club…….."

This imo is very good news and hopefully the Trust now have some real clout…in influencing our future at BP…..

FULL ARTICLE

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"….Mr Corney said: “We have agreed a 20-year lease with my two former partners, with an option for a further 20 years, and this has secured the future for the next 40 years.”

He added: “I will own the shares in the football club along with the trust. It is in good hands and for the first time I am confident in ploughing more money into the football club…….."

This imo is very good news and hopefully the Trust now have some real clout…in influencing our future at BP…..

FULL ARTICLE

lets hope so...and lets hope we get this stand sorted out asap while momentum is building....get the income streams started off.

and if we have a good start to the season all the better....do we now change corneys name to THE LONE RANGER....or stick with one amigo...

lets hope so...and lets hope we get this stand sorted out asap while momentum is building....get the income streams started off.

and if we have a good start to the season all the better....do we now change corneys name to THE LONE RANGER....or stick with one amigo...

More like Tonto????!!! :lol:

The comments on that article are infuriating.

digusting,why should council tax payers in oldham fund a business and a badly run one at that.

why do people think it is crucial to have 2nd rate football in the borough to keep a few thousand content?

why dont the council fund and save more deserved companies that employ more local and living on the edge of poverty people?

By excromptoncc @ 02/08/2011 15:42:12

The comments on that article are infuriating.

he/she's got a point, but i think with the thousands, probably millions that follow football in the country, it's getting the town out to more people and for a lot of people, it's the only thing they know about the town.

it also brings in a few hundred people every other week (not a lot, but still contributes) to spending money in the town and say this deal fell through and we were left without a football club, i reckon the town would see a real difference.

that person might not like football but surely they see what a redeveloped stadium could do - bring in more visiting fans for a nicer stadium for a start

he/she's got a point, but i think with the thousands, probably millions that follow football in the country, it's getting the town out to more people and for a lot of people, it's the only thing they know about the town.

it also brings in a few hundred people every other week (not a lot, but still contributes) to spending money in the town and say this deal fell through and we were left without a football club, i reckon the town would see a real difference.

that person might not like football but surely they see what a redeveloped stadium could do - bring in more visiting fans for a nicer stadium for a start

they dont see the big picture do they...when was the last time oldham as a town got mentioned on local news or national papers and websites..positively....cant remember

yes they have a right to vent there anger at the council spending huge amounts of ratespayers money....but do they not realise by building a new stand,bringing in people from out of town for conferencing means the local economy picks up and the council in the long term get more money to spend on the things they want.....

always going to get negative comments from people who do not care about the football club....just waiting for the rugby lot to start now....

Indeed not looking at the big picture at all.

The only reason myself and many other people come to Oldham is because of the football club! I think amongst the latics I know not based in Oldham a few thousand pounds is ploughed into the local economy every year! Maybe slightly OTT but you catch my drift I am sure there are many others who spend even more money in the local area. With no club, there would be no more money from me and no reason to venture back to Oldham.

I get the impression that many people who post on here are no longer based in Oldham either and would not venture back so regularly without the football?

Also I should add, I was not happy with the initial announcement but this does sound much more promising! Would still like more concrete details of what is planned before I up the excitement levels yet! Too many false dawns for me regarding a new ground so do not want to get let down again. I will however be waiting with baited breath for further announcements!

they dont see the big picture do they...when was the last time oldham as a town got mentioned on local news or national papers and websites..positively....cant remember

yes they have a right to vent there anger at the council spending huge amounts of ratespayers money....but do they not realise by building a new stand,bringing in people from out of town for conferencing means the local economy picks up and the council in the long term get more money to spend on the things they want.....

always going to get negative comments from people who do not care about the football club....just waiting for the rugby lot to start now....

nope they don't see the bigger picture.. if the club wanted, they could show them an even bigger hole in councils wallet.. They can't blame the club.. they can only blame the council for sending failsworth tits up..

Also I should add, I was not happy with the initial announcement but this does sound much more promising! Would still like more concrete details of what is planned before I up the excitement levels yet! Too many false dawns for me regarding a new ground so do not want to get let down again. I will however be waiting with baited breath for further announcements!

i actually hope its a while before concrete details of what is planned is announced, as it would show things are being thought out and not rushed.. unless of course the plan is the oldham arena plan..

What interests me in the article is when Corney said his former partners.. And when he says that he will own the shares in the club along with the trust.. So has Blitz & Gazal sold their shares to Corney? Or is it just that they own shares and sit back like recently?

i actually hope its a while before concrete details of what is planned is announced, as it would show things are being thought out and not rushed.. unless of course the plan is the oldham arena plan..

What interests me in the article is when Corney said his former partners.. And when he says that he will own the shares in the club along with the trust.. So has Blitz & Gazal sold their shares to Corney? Or is it just that they own shares and sit back like recently?

I think its clear from that article that any shares Corney and/or the Trust own now and in the future will purely be in Oldham Athletic (2004) Limited whilst his former partners retain their interests in the surrounding land and stadium. As long as they agree to the redevelopment we're ok and can press ahead as long as we gain the investment we need, overcome any Nimby objections and tick the boxes with the planning department...

I think its clear from that article that any shares Corney and/or the Trust own now and in the future will purely be in Oldham Athletic (2004) Limited whilst his former partners retain their interests in the surrounding land and stadium. As long as they agree to the redevelopment we're ok and can press ahead as long as we gain the investment we need, overcome any Nimby objections and tick the boxes with the planning department...

if we using oldham arena plans (and if the planning permission is still valid) then won't be nimby objections so thats one less box to tick.. think they might use them as plans for work to start within 12 months.. Blitz & Gazal have agreed as this decision with OMBC had be reached with their consent which caused the delay in the announcement i think..

Reading Simon's comments in the chron, Quote..........but the first thing is to rebuild the stand we knocked down three years ago. Another older stand needs knocking down, and I would hope all four stands will be rebuilt within seven to ten years.”

We are replacing a stand that was only built 20 years ago and one that was originally included in the final 'Oldham Arena' development.

This suggests to me that we are going to finish up with a 'Failsworth' type stadium at Boundary Park built stand by stand.

Reading Simon's comments in the chron, Quote..........but the first thing is to rebuild the stand we knocked down three years ago. Another older stand needs knocking down, and I would hope all four stands will be rebuilt within seven to ten years.”

We are replacing a stand that was only built 20 years ago and one that was originally included in the final 'Oldham Arena' development.

This suggests to me that we are going to finish up with a 'Failsworth' type stadium at Boundary Park built stand by stand.

So lookers first.. RRE last as most recent and needs the least work doing.. I'd say current main stand second to be re-done?

digusting,why should council tax payers in oldham fund a business and a badly run one at that.

why do people think it is crucial to have 2nd rate football in the borough to keep a few thousand content?

why dont the council fund and save more deserved companies that employ more local and living on the edge of poverty people?

By excromptoncc @ 02/08/2011 15:42:1

3rd rate actually :lol: :lol: :lol:

FULL ARTICLE

So does the debt to the other Amigos remain?

With people writing things like "do they not have to be members to be part of the club where does all that money go" makes you realise they don't have a clue whatsoever!! This town needs this 2nd rate football team as someone nicely put it on the Chron website, or else it wouldn't have anything left to show for itself!! So pathetic the comments on there!!!

What none of them seem to understand is that the council paid this money to aviod a lawsuit, if the club moved out they would complain that the owners don't care about the town. These must be the same time of people that drive up sheepfoot lane when everyone is leaving the match, and then giving them a dirty looking for blocking thier street.

FULL ARTICLE

Yes, interesting that Corney chose the words ‘former partners’. However, if we have a 20 year, or 40 year, lease with Blitz and Gazal does the club have to pay them rent?

I presume Corney will own 97% of the shares in Oldham Athletic (2004) Ltd, or will the Trust now take a bigger percentage? At least Corney is staying, which wasn’t clear last season.

The big question is where the bulk of the money to build the new Broadway stand will come from.

Yes, interesting that Corney chose the words ‘former partners’. However, if we have a 20 year, or 40 year, lease with Blitz and Gazal does the club have to pay them rent?

I presume Corney will own 97% of the shares in Oldham Athletic (2004) Ltd, or will the Trust now take a bigger percentage? At least Corney is staying, which wasn’t clear last season.

The big question is where the bulk of the money to build the new Broadway stand will come from.

I would imagine Corney will now own the 97% previously owned by Blitz and Gazall, with Trust Oldham owning the remaining 3%.

“Eventually we would like to knock down the building, but the first thing is to rebuild the stand we knocked down three years ago. Another older stand needs knocking down, and I would hope all four stands will be rebuilt within seven to ten years.”

For me, the above quote is very very positive news, that the are looking at knocking the whole place down and rebuilding it over a period of time, as opposed to a cheap papering over the cracks 'refurbishment'