Failsworth v Boundary Park

If you don't want me set me free...  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Should we stay or should we go now?

• Failsworth development, with mill chimneys and such
    • Brick-by-brick redevelopment of Boundary Park, complete with motel and ten-pin bowling facilities

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

A few minutes ago, we had nowhere to go and nowhere to stay - now it looks like we have options. What should we do?

Here's a little ditty that describes our essential dilemma...

stay at bp,and redevelope our spiritual home.....dont lose our identity

Failsworth - New Location, New Era, New Start. Failsworth was a brilliant idea with plenty of income coming from the public use of the football pitches and so on. At BP there would of been confrenceing income which all in all dosnt happen as much as say 5 6-a-side pitches would do. we need as much revenue as possible onnon match days and i think that can be done more so at failsworth than at BP.

Failsworth for me providing we got the resteraunts, bar, leisure facilities 5-a-side pitches ect. That were talked about! It provides what we desperately need in a much quicker time frame!

My worry with re-developing BP is that somewhere along the line it will fall apart, we'll build a new mainstand and knock the old one down and be left with a 3-sided ground again, all we'd have is a new mainstand with the 'hope' of doing the rest within 10years!

Failsworth - New Location, New Era, New Start. Failsworth was a brilliant idea with plenty of income coming from the public use of the football pitches and so on. At BP there would of been confrenceing income which all in all dosnt happen as much as say 5 6-a-side pitches would do. we need as much revenue as possible onnon match days and i think that can be done more so at failsworth than at BP.

no offence meant here lee,but your a young un...you search conferencing and the costs involved and you will find it will make a damn site more money than 5 a side pitches in the long run....

dont forget if you made the new stand 2 tier and incorporated office space as well,seeing as the hospital is expanding and losing office space,then staying at bp is best all round.

You've just made this alot more difficult for me now..

-I'd love to stay at Boundary Park and regenerate it and have a new stadium, hotel, bowling cinema etc' on site and in range of Elk Mill

But then..

-Failsworth might be the better option for us to move on and upwards as a club, i mean if we could have a state of the art, brand new stadium there with everything on site then it would be brilliant, but is this move financially viable for the club, i don't know, obviously we would sell the Boundary Park site but what is it worth these days, would it fund a new stadium? Its all so complex

My Verdict..

Stay at Boundary Park if we have the option to build bowling and cinema on site, make the area alot better and bring in money for the club, if not Failsworth will be preferred for me, its all about the club generating money more than what the stadium is like, although that is obviously important.

(Hope i've not made it more confusing for everyone) haha

You've just made this alot more difficult for me now..

(Hope i've not made it more confusing for everyone) haha

:grin: It's all much clearer now...

I favour an art-house cinema, which Oldham clearly lacks - one with a black-and-white-films-with-subtitles only policy.

And conferencing facilities should include mediation suites so that rival fans can share their differences and progress towards reconciliation and mutual respect.

To avoid confusion and keep the council onside, it's got to be Boundary Park, PROVIDING that there are facility's for the club to make money and fund the develoent of the other 2/3 stands.

Failsworth should be forgotten about for a stadium, but if it means we could get more money from the council, maybe force a percentage of what the council makes from the land (sort of like a transfer) it would be better if we stay at BP and build from there

To avoid confusion and keep the council onside, it's got to be Boundary Park, PROVIDING that there are facility's for the club to make money and fund the develoent of the other 2/3 stands.

Failsworth should be forgotten about for a stadium, but if it means we could get more money from the council, maybe force a percentage of what the council makes from the land (sort of like a transfer) it would be better if we stay at BP and build from there

Well the fact that you can now build on the Failsworth site add's value surly, time for Latics to up their asking price to be honest.. if the council don't want to pay then surly someone would, a retail company etc

Well the fact that you can now build on the Failsworth site add's value surly, time for Latics to up their asking price to be honest.. if the council don't want to pay then surly someone would, a retail company etc

correct me if im wrong....but we havent got as far as planning permission for failsworth have we????

if we decided to go down this route,there is no saying we would get permission,after all its the council who grants it,and if you bit the hand that fed an all that....

Just one question, am i right in thinking all this is our land?

11hdt39.jpg

or is it less than this? i'm struggling to see how we could fit retail facilities on this land, as the NIMBY's would be out in force if it was close to their land.. in saying that how do you fit a 20odd screen cinema in the Printworks, i guess we'd have to build upwards!

Just one question, am i right in thinking all this is our land?

11hdt39.jpg

or is it less than this? i'm struggling to see how we could fit retail facilities on this land, as the NIMBY's would be out in force if it was close to their land.. in saying that how do you fit a 20odd screen cinema in the Printworks, i guess we'd have to build upwards!

pretty much so.....

things like bowling alleys and cinemas can be built upwards or downwards really....a carpark could be built underground,leaving more space on level land for building other things....the nimbys went mad because the height of the flats overlooking them,if you built then maybe lower,and sympathetically landscaped the area between with trees to mask it they lose there argument...

The thing is with the BP redevelopment, coming from someone who was firmly in favour of failsworth, I think the club will probably have a good 90% of fans onside, and I can appreciate the 'just put it down to a bad experience, learn from it and get on with BP redevelopment' view, as it really was just one thing after another.

But at the same time, I also appreciate the 'new site new start' argument. If indeed the club did have options, my choice would be to move to the site which can support a club playing at championship level. The best way I would describe my position, is 'pro progress'. Going off the information I have seen, which is what everyone has read in the press about BP, and what I learned at all of the Failsworth consultations, at the moment I think the plans for Failsworth were far more likely to support a club in the championship. For one, its a bigger site, its much more accessible, and we can put more facilities on it.

However, I fully reserve the right to change my mind, and vote, until after seeing the new Boundary Park plans, but any plans that include an on the cheap refurbishment of the other three stands, as opposed to knocking them down completely and rebuilding them, will not get my backing.

Failsworth for me, surely it has to generate more income, which can only be of benefit to the club, it's supporters and Oldham as a town.

Edited by Guest

pretty much so.....

things like bowling alleys and cinemas can be built upwards or downwards really....a carpark could be built underground,leaving more space on level land for building other things....the nimbys went mad because the height of the flats overlooking them,if you built then maybe lower,and sympathetically landscaped the area between with trees to mask it they lose there argument...

Ah thats what i'm worried about, the fact we have to build upwards is a risk.. BUT, who's going to buy a house behind the Chaddy End now, knowing that theres going to be a football ground there and facilties that are going to be used 7 days a week?

no offence meant here lee,but your a young un...you search conferencing and the costs involved and you will find it will make a damn site more money than 5 a side pitches in the long run....

dont forget if you made the new stand 2 tier and incorporated office space as well,seeing as the hospital is expanding and losing office space,then staying at bp is best all round.

I do book conferencing etc for work, and yesh i know its not cheap at all, but how often will that be needed compared to say 10 6-a-side pitches? the pitches will be generating money most days when the conferencing side will only be every so often.

Im strugglin to work out where all the extra facilities would be built at BP, and then theres other issues such as light and IIRC that was a big issue when the old BP plans were up for discussion last time around!

if they announced what was planned at failsworth for BP then it'd be ideal, but it aint gonna happen!

Thats why i support the move to failsworth (or any other location with the same plans) its the only way i believe we can move forward as a football club!

I would be very surprised if a new stand at BP incorporated a hotel, cinema, shops etc.

Day conferencing faciltiies yes, perhaps some office space to let too. But little else beyond football (private boxes, bars etc).

Equally, it was never totally clear how the extra faciltiies at Failsworth were going to bankroll a football club. Five a side pitches and cinemas need their own reinvestment out of profits. So Failsworth is not automatically more sustainable than BP as a location - and given the perception that it isn't part of Oldham and is mighty close to Citeh I suspect BP is the development opportunity that is better for the long term future.

Of course, I haven't seen any figures. Neither has anybody else posting.

Edited by opinions4u

Ah thats what i'm worried about, the fact we have to build upwards is a risk.. BUT, who's going to buy a house behind the Chaddy End now, knowing that theres going to be a football ground there and facilties that are going to be used 7 days a week?

who would buy a house there anyway???

dont know how much of the site they bought to build houses with....was it just the car park or the clayton arms bit as well...

if just the car park bit then chaddy end can be completely demolished and rebuilt fit for purpose with extras included,like in the original bp development...

height wouldnt be an issue as not really overlooking anything,except the new builds....

the current main stand,well there isnt a lot you can do with that because of the proximity of the road and houses opposite...so just a basic stand with bars n food really,but rre could be rebuilt as loads of land at back of it,so again could incorporate anything really...

until we get a statement from the club,were all just guessing...i was in favour of a move when announced,but if its possible to stay at bp im all for it.