Guardian League 1 Preview

John Ashdown of The Guardian (that well known sports journalist and football pundit) reckons come May we'll face the drop along with Stevenge, Bury and Notts County. Yipee!

Thanks John and good luck with your career, I hope you end up as a junior writer for Kitchens Monthly or something :grin:

Edited by lancy lad

If i was Dickov i'd start collecting all these predictions (admittedly i can only think of two so far, this and that southern local rag) that are suggesting we are going down or just avoiding the drop (whether or not their analyses are well judged) and start pinning them up in the dressing room and try an use it as some motivation.

If i was Dickov i'd start collecting all these predictions (admittedly i can only think of two so far, this and that southern local rag) that are suggesting we are going down or just avoiding the drop (whether or not their analyses are well judged) and start pinning them up in the dressing room and try an use it as some motivation.

I'd get my finger out of my arse and sign 6-8 players otherwise this prediction might come true.

I'd get my finger out of my arse and sign 6-8 players otherwise this prediction might come true.

I think the backbone of last year's team is still in place aka Taylor, Furman, Morais, Lee, M'voto. We've added quality in Diamond, Cisak, Smith and hopefully Parker. We're a bit thin as a squad (who's gonna play CB if M'voto/Diamond get injured?) but apart from that there's not a great deal to be pessimistic about.

that really irritates me. The person involved clearly has no knowledge of division. to think rochdale will finish in the top half and we will go down! Finishing beklow the likes of Yeovil, Hartlepool and Wycombe!!!! Its laughable at best. And although Huddersfield are promotion candidates I very highly doubt they will win the league. Plus its a bit contradictory to truthfully acknowledge our reserve team chesterfield will struggle due to losing players and then tip them for the top half!!!??

Just like that, eh? Any 6 - 8 in particular spring to mind? Oh aye, there's plenty of unemployed players out there, but how many times has PD said that they have to be the right players who will buy into what he's trying to do here and not just want to play for the money? Of which we have very little.

Suggesting that PD removes his digit from his rectum is disrespecting the man, tantamount to suggesting that he sits about with his feet up all day doing sod all. We all pretty much know that this isn't the case.

Perhaps you'd like to pop into his office and advise him on which 6 - 8 players he should sign and then nip next door to SC and tell him how much money PD need for said signings. It's bound to work.

that really irritates me. The person involved clearly has no knowledge of division. to think rochdale will finish in the top half and we will go down! Finishing beklow the likes of Yeovil, Hartlepool and Wycombe!!!! Its laughable at best. And although Huddersfield are promotion candidates I very highly doubt they will win the league. Plus its a bit contradictory to truthfully acknowledge our reserve team chesterfield will struggle due to losing players and then tip them for the top half!!!??

You clearly dont listen to the guardian football podcast.

I think we will finish bottom 7 with the current squad.

You clearly dont listen to the guardian football podcast.

I think we will finish bottom 7 with the current squad.

I had a feeling that part would backfire. Still, i dont expect us to be challenging for promotion but Im certain we wont go down. Regardless of who he is the content is pretty inaccurate in my opinion. Especially his contradictions i.e. Chesterfield

I can see why everyone has us down for struggling but I think there are at least 10 teams worse than us, but it is hard to say without seeing them play. I don't think we will go down but the play-offs with this lack of depth is unlikly. I expect to start of well be around the top come Novemember then begin to slowly drop down the league and finish mid-table.

I could and almost certinatly wrong but my say means as much as the writer's because neather will effect the final outcome.

I think we'll surprise a few this coming season and finish a lot higher than the predicted relegation or relegation battlers.

This is what I predict -

Smith will score a fair few, possibly 18-20 goals

Parker will score around 12-15 goals

Reid will score around 8-10 goals

Taylor will chip in with around 10 goals

Lund's loan is extended as he proves himself influential from set-pieces with PD even changing formation from 4-4-2 to accommodate 3 in the middle

Our first-choice back five will secure us around 15-18 clean sheets in the league with the kids filling in as more than able replacements when needed

PD will bring in one very effective loan signing from the Prem before 31/08/11, another from the Championship at the back end of October to keep things progressing and a further loan signing by end of January as we're around 8th in the league but less than 4 points from a play-off position

Coming into the last six games of season we're in 7th spot, confidence is high and against all the odds we move up to 6th by end of season

We get Sheff Utd in the play-offs and losing 1-0 at Bramall Lane, we only manage a 1-1 draw at our place and miss out on the Play-Off Final.

I think the backbone of last year's team is still in place aka Taylor, Furman, Morais, Lee, M'voto. We've added quality in Diamond, Cisak, Smith and hopefully Parker. We're a bit thin as a squad (who's gonna play CB if M'voto/Diamond get injured?) but apart from that there's not a great deal to be pessimistic about.

Erm; easy.

Tarky - who did a very; very good job last year filling in for Reuben H. A lad who will be all the better for the experience last year brought; and one who will be in far better shape after actaully having a pre-season this year. He shows real potential IMO; and I think he could be the next one of our youth players to make a higher move.

We also have Matty Carr; who whilst also a young lad, physically looks able to cope and if his debut is anything to go off (keeping Johan Elmander to the fringes of the game) then he looks like he will be capable of filling in.

I have no issues with the kids coming in for a couple of games to cover suspensions & niggly injuries; as I think they wont let us down. I would however be worried; if they were expected to come in and get a run of 20+ games at any stage this season.....

As much as it irritated its just what I expect. They don't really do any research into these predictions apart from the obvious teams and just stick the other teams into the positions that are left.

If you note the comments underneath his blog, he got Peltier and Pilkington going to the wrong teams.

Sheff Wed and Utd - one of the two Sheffield teams

Chesterfield will be looking to avoid relegation, then he has them top half of the table.

At the end of the day though, I probably would be more worried if he had us doing well.

On paper there are far better teams than us in the division.

On paper there are better squads.

On paper there are better managers.

On paper there are better backroom staff.

Luckily for us games are won on the pitch and not on paper. With a lot of hard work and some great team spirit. We’re easily good enough to finish top half.